We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Kalkan very much a cheap resort (Benidorm?)

Southam...
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Is Kalkan very much a cheap resort (Benidorm?)

Hi,

I'd like to visit Kalkan in August 2013 and have some questions. I've been to OluDeniz in Lykia World hotel a few years ago and got a terrible stomach bug on the plane home. I've had a lot of suspicions about Turkey ever since then.

Me and my family are more a kind of quality not quantity. We'd rather go to an expensive restaurant and bar to get quality food and drink rather than an eat as much as you want kind of thing.

Basically, we prefer classier resorts. Is Kalkan this?

What are the restaurants like? All Turkish? Multi-cuisine? Cheap? Expensive?

Also, what is the beach like? Pebbly? Sandy?

Watersports?

Is there a large supermarket in Kalkan or a 10 min drive away?

Sorry for all the questions but as I mentioned about Olu Deniz I'd rather not risk it!!

Thanks

Will

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
785 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Is Kalkan very much a cheap resort (Benidorm?)

William, not sure why you would even think any parts of Kalkan are a dump. It is not Benidorm, it is not tacky or trashy. Do some research and look at some pics. I prefer Kas myself as not so resorty and is a bit more "real" to me. No idea why u think Turkey is dirty - so are some parts of London! Cheers.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Is Kalkan very much a cheap resort (Benidorm?)

I can relate to what William is saying I too thought Turkey was "dirty" and a "dump" after hearing friends tales of their hols to Marmaris, of course I had never been there myself. Then I went to Kalkan last sept based on a recommendation and I am so glad I did!!! It's certainly no Benidorm!!! It's fantastic, gorgeous, so so clean (my local town is far dirtier!) and the people are amazing. The food is Michelin standard there are so many places to eat and the service is second to none the Turkish simply cannot do enough for you. It's also very safe at night which was possibly one of your other pre conceptions. The one thing to bear in mind is that it's VERY steep that is one thing that defo cannot be argued! I stayed in the pirat hotel which is right on the harbour for this very reason as I was a 1st time visitor so wanted to be in the heart of the town. Now I know my way around (taxis and buses are aplenty) I would stay a little further up cardiac hill as its known locally!

Please go you will love it I promise! It's just a fantastic place very classy and upmarket and you will want to return I can guarantee that!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
16,846 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Is Kalkan very much a cheap resort (Benidorm?)

Note the O.P (who has four postings up to now) has. asked the very same question on the Marbella Forum and got the same reaction from the members there.

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,772 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Is Kalkan very much a cheap resort (Benidorm?)

Kalkan is absolutely nothing like Benidorm and Turkey is certainly not dirty! You have been seriously misinformed...

15. Re: Is Kalkan very much a cheap resort (Benidorm?)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:05 pm, June 18, 2013
Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Is Kalkan very much a cheap resort (Benidorm?)

Kalkan is a much classier and exclusive small resort. If you like fine dining experiences then you must try the likes of gourmet, kalamaki, escudo and salt and pepper. Avoid the ones down on the very front like trio, aubergine and coast as they are more expensive but no where near the quality or service you get at the other restaurants.

We are in kalkan at the moment - our 8th visit and like one reply you had, Daniel Craig did shoot his bond film in fetyhe but he is holidaying at the moment in a villa in kalkan a few metres away from me and has been down in the bars here.

Anything past the main road is an easy walk down into the town as the new footbridge has opened which has reduced the walk. A taxi will be essential for your return but at only 10tl or £3 it is well worth it for the views at night over the harbour and the lights of the town.

Whatever you choose to do you MUST visit the roof top restaurants and as I said before you cannot do better than gourmet.

Hope this helps.

Terri Duncan

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
161 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Is Kalkan very much a cheap resort (Benidorm?)

Ooh I hope it's not (and from lots of research this doesn't seem to be case)!!

We are giving Turkey a second chance after going to Marmaris a few years ago which I have to say (sorry to Marmaris lovers) wasn't very pleasant at all!

We have you tubed and googled extensively and can't remotely see why you would think this, we haven't felt this excited about a new holiday destination for a long time especially as its our first time in a villa (yay no more parrot shows or mini discos!!)

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Is Kalkan very much a cheap resort (Benidorm?)

I think the Benidorm escapees go to Marmaris.

greenock
Level Contributor
186 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Is Kalkan very much a cheap resort (Benidorm?)

The question is irrelevant, Kalkan vs Benidorm, seriously.

Ipswich
Level Contributor
555 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Is Kalkan very much a cheap resort (Benidorm?)

Certainly not Benidorm (although when I visited out of curiosity whilst in the vicinity I found it quite an attractive place in parts - if you avoided the "British" bit).

Lots of classy restaurants and shops - but we tried some of the cheaper places this time around and were very pleased with our choices.

Olu Deniz seems to be pushed by travel agents quite a bit!

Get answers to your questions about Kalkan