We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi or local transport to Islamar

Which Kalkan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dorking
Level Contributor
552 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi or local transport to Islamar

Hello,will it be easy to get to Islamar from Kalkan? We will be coming from Kas on a dolmus and do not want to spend all day travelling or waiting for too many connections. Should we get a taxi from Kalkan? We want to eat and wander about in Islamar so should we get 2 separate taxis rather than getting one to wait. EE said it was cheaper to do this than rent a car.Any ideas and prices will be very helpful.

Villa Kirmizi Lale...
Destination Expert
for Kalkan
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi or local transport to Islamar

Hi - It is easy to get to Islamar from kalkan - I reckon about a 15 minute drive as it is quite twisty and turny. I think I would be inclined to hop in a taxi once you get dropped off in Kalkan. The dolmus and taxis are in the same place so you won't be wasting any time.

I don't know how much a taxi will cost - but Im sure it will be cheaper than hiring a car for the day - but you can always ask before you jump in the taxi. Also - don't bother to ask the taxi to wait. The taxi driver will give you his card or alternatively the restaurants up at Islamar will ring for a taxi.

Have a lovely day at Islamar - the views are spectacular - it is lovely and cool up there and have a lovely meal with freshly cooked trout too....

Enjoy!!

kalkan
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi or local transport to Islamar

you will probably find that there is not much in the price between using the dolmuş/taxi option and hiring a car.

a taxi from kalkan to islamlar is around the 10 pound mark for the one way journey, depending on how busy the driver is he may or may not wait for you, though he will probably give you his card so that he can have your fare for the round trip.

car hire prices vary, but you will probably find through shopping around that you can get one for about 20 pounds a day. though fuel is relatively expensive, the freedom it gives you is worth it for a little bit extra. if you are staying on the kaş peninsula the companies will deliver your car to you and pick it up from the hotel. a car also means you could do a round route, take the coastal road one way and come back over the mountain road the other, leaving islamlar and coming back through bezirgan, saribelen, gokçeoren and çukurbağ, all you need is a god map.

Lake District
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi or local transport to Islamar

That's the problem! Not yet found a good map either of Kalkan or Lycia - wouldn't like to try to drive to Tlos or Saklikent!

Dorking
Level Contributor
552 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi or local transport to Islamar

Thankyou everybody-very helpful.

Villa Kirmizi Lale...
Destination Expert
for Kalkan
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi or local transport to Islamar

Hi kendalian and others..!!

I don't find a problem with maps of Lycia and have found good enough ones for driving around the countryside as basically there aren't that many roads and the main ones are marked. The book shop on the left hand side as you go down into Kalkan just past the Moonlight bar has a good map of Lycia showing all the roads you need to drive on to get to places..

I have driven myself to Tlos and Saklikkent and it was a piece of cake...also had the brown touristy signs to guide me on the way..my difficulty is finding locations within towns such as Kalkan - as previously talked about on this forum - no such thing as a detailed street map there..!! ;-))

kalkan
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi or local transport to Islamar

hi again,

had a quick look at the taxi prices today, now states 13 pounds for islamlar one way.

in kaş you will find the only decent road map of the area on sale, its called a map of ancient lycia, about 3 pounds. as there are relatively few roads it is difficult to get to lost, i would give the car option a go and enjoy the freedom.

if you want a good place in islamlar, try bodamia tepe restaurant, it has a huge garden with grass (a novelty here!) and a duck pond with trout in it! great mezes too, a particularly nice spot in the day time.

Dorking
Level Contributor
552 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi or local transport to Islamar

Sounds gorgeous-will follow your advice on choice of restaurant and also get a car instead of a taxi. Thanks

8. Re: Taxi or local transport to Islamar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:24 am, May 28, 2007
9. Re: Taxi or local transport to Islamar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 pm, September 01, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Kalkan
Recent Conversations