We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inappropriate Reviews

Kalkan
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Inappropriate Reviews

Dear Kalkan forum. I am contacting you as suggested by a friend of mine in Kalkan who reads your forum with an issue i would like some advice about. Its a bit long winded but please stay with me as can see from now reading this forum that you area all well versed in exactly how trip advisor works and i need your feedback on what steps i should take next.

My husband and i have a business here in Kalkan which we started last year. Wont give too many details as i dont want to violate the trip advisor guidelines....

To cut a long story short, we had a quiet year last year due to the fact that we were new and did little advertising at all plus probably all the other factors which affected Kalkan last season, however we did have a steady flow of customers which mainly came from word of mouth or some local advertising i had arranged in my home town in the UK. There were times however when we were completely empty and one of these times was June when only my mother and auntie were staying with us. We chose this time to close the hotel as our pool was leaking, so you can imagine what a big job that was. We emptied the pool and re-tiled and grouted it, which took the whole month of June and in honesty our garden and pool area was not an attractive site. During this time our bar was open but the hotel itself was closed.

I have received a review on trip advisor from somebody who is implying they stayed with us at this time, i know this not to be true.

They have given a very poor review and commented on the rooms etc and the only positive feedback they have given is to say that it was a "good pool scene" which of course it was not at that particular time. This person could well have been a bar customer but surely they are not able to reivew the rooms if this is the case?

I accept that our hotel is not everybodies choiceand that we will receive reviews that i am not happy with and i accept this as long as they actually WERE customers. The two main issues this person had are that we had an england flag, which we did as it was the world cup, the flag was huge and could be seen from the road, and as such i question why they would have come in the bar in the first place if this was found to be so offensive.

However the biggest issue i have is that they are commenting on how we parent our child, we have a small son who really is gorgeous and there are probably many things that i am but a bad mother is not one of them, this person comments on our parenting style within their review however it is very vague and as such open to misinterpretation. Should this type of reivew be posted in the UK i would probably have social services round. I consider this to be a personal attack and really most upsetting as you can imagine, and i want at least this part of the review removed. I dont care if the score is not changed of if this person wants to write more about how much they hated our place but i want the comments about my child removed.

Well thats the story. what i want to know is this.

1. How do i go about tackling this issue?

2. am i allowed to contact the person myself through trip advisor to accuse them of lying?

I know this is long winded and i thank you in anticipation for those of you who could be bothered to read it all!!

Hampshire
Level Contributor
115 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Inappropriate Reviews

We'll be there May 25 so may have to start the party going!! Don't know what I'll be wearing - a bit of a problem at the moment unless I lose all the surplice weight I'm still in possession of from last year!!

England
Level Contributor
395 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Inappropriate Reviews

I'll wear a smile!!!

Kalkan
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
33. Re: Inappropriate Reviews

Good morning everybody,

I send an e-mail to Trip Advisor who are looking into the details i have given them and will be back to me within the week.

I will let you know the outcome.

Looks like the re-union could span the whole of the season, LL, dont have a US flag i am afraid, but feel free to bring one with you.

How stange that you have all been in touch with each other for some time and as the newest member of the forum, i am going to be the one to meet you all. Will take photos when you come and make a TA scrap book to show the other members

love

coco

Kent
Level Contributor
72 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Inappropriate Reviews

I can't wait for this party. This is so exciting. I'm so envious of my hubby who is going on 16 April. He can come and meet you Coco - we really are neighbours. Not sure about the dress of the day, but you can be sure it won't be the suit that I have to wear for work every day! Jinfizzz

Hampshire
Level Contributor
115 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Inappropriate Reviews

Well that's definitely made my mind up! If a photo shoot is planned then the cabbage soup diet will have to come in to force. Forgot to mention - suggestion for party food in order to keep up our true brits abroad image fish and chips please - how ghastly would that be! Can you imagine the number of reviews that will be posted as each one of us returns home - I look forward to yours, Ginfizz, to start the ball rolling!!

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Inappropriate Reviews

Hi Roggie: I too am a fan of the cabbage soup diet which I find very effective. I always gain weight in Turkey despite vigorous exercise and I look forward to a feast with all of you. Will bring the American Flag too. Coco, I am glad you submitted your thoughts to TA and we all await the response. Happy Day All, LemonLady

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
89 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Inappropriate Reviews

Dear Lemonlady:

So this is where you now are after leaving us alone with Marrucchi on the safety thread!!! Shame on you (Joke).

Kalkan
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
38. Re: Inappropriate Reviews

Thank you to everybody on the forum who has offered support about my initial issue. I took your advice and sent an e-mail to Trip Advisor who have investigated the review and have now removed it from my listing. Just have to hope they dont sign on with a different name and do it again!!!!

Look forward to meeting those of you who are coming over in the summer.

Regards

Coco

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Inappropriate Reviews

Hi All and Coco: glad to hear about TA moving on your request. We'll be on the lookout just in case. Hi Ryoko, not hiding just came here to see many other forum friends. That certain poster is being dealt with and hopefully he won't come back again (more posts removed yesterday) and TA will take the initiative and bar him from the forum forever. I hope no one believed this trash talk from someone who obviously has a vendetta against our beloved Turkey. See you all, summer is coming.....LL

40. Re: Inappropriate Reviews

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 29, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Kalkan
Recent Conversations