We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm be ripped off for one person dinner charge 50 TL ?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
I'm be ripped off for one person dinner charge 50 TL ?

Dears :

I usual eat dinner( one person) at any city restaurant cost about 25TL .Today in Antalya ,I had my most expensive meal so far ,It cost me 50 TL ,The restaurant location is around my hotel .For what i had :

Cole 5 TL ,Water 1TL, salata 6 TL ,4 * lamb meat in a bamboo 20TL, 4* beef liver in a bamboo 18 TL (It's not kapab ,It's the lamb meat and liver on the a bamboo and the chef BBQ it

This dinner total cost 50 TL .I feel i may be ripped off ,Is that price normal for one person in here ?because in other city ,I can have meal for 25 TL .....Thank you for who replying my post

Edited: 4:53 pm, April 17, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Antalya
Antalya
Antalya Province, Turkey
Vanilla
$$ - $$$, French, International
Rokka
$$ - $$$, Pizza, Mediterranean, Turkish
Gazetta Brasserie
$$ - $$$, Italian, Bar, Pizza
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm be ripped off for one person dinner charge 50 TL ?

It depends on the restaurant.You could eat the same food in one for maybe 25TL and eat the same food in another and pay 100TL. A small local place will be cheap,a more up market one more expensive.All restaurants have menu's with prices on;did you look at the prices before ordering?

For an average restaurant in a tourist area this is pretty decent pricing.Lamb is expensive here so 20TL for lamb shish kebabs is good IMHO.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm be ripped off for one person dinner charge 50 TL ?

My dear :

Thanks you reply .I just feel so shock by a dinner cost 50 TL tonight .When I'm going the restaurant ,they didn't handle me a meun.The meat just in a glass Cupboard ,so you pick up whatever you wants ,and the chef will put in BBQ for you ,I thought were cheap .......

So my friend .you think 4 of Shish kebabs cost 20 TL and 4 of liver kakabp cost 18TL is normal in here ???? If so that may make sense ,You know i just don't like be ripped off !!!!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
96,080 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm be ripped off for one person dinner charge 50 TL ?

Never order anything in a restaurant without knowing the price in advance.

Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
8,260 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm be ripped off for one person dinner charge 50 TL ?

Where was the restaurant? That would give a clue to the pricing!

Lamb is very expensive here and liver isn't the cheap option it is in other countries.

Looks to me as though you had 2 main courses.

Always check the price of food if there's no menu. Fish restaurants for example price by weight so every fish is a different price.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,471 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm be ripped off for one person dinner charge 50 TL ?

Yes, that is exactly what I thought vipfamily, it sounds like you choose 2 main courses. When I came to live in Turkey I had to get used to the fact that eating out works different here, you almost pay for each item separate.

Having said that, then the dishes should have been served with something else like a little rice, bulgur, sometimes fries. A main course with 4 skewers of lamb for 20 TL sounds normal to me...

Over the past winter we concluded that eating out for us costs about 50 TL pp, sometimes with some starters, sometimes with a dessert, but always with a glass of wine or beer. That was in Istanbul, Afyon (where no alcohol gets served anywhere), Antalya and Fethiye.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Antalya
Antalya
Antalya Province, Turkey
Fethiye
Fethiye
Mugla Province, Turkey
Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm be ripped off for one person dinner charge 50 TL ?

I agree with VİP and VR..Looks like you choose 2 entrees or main dishes and 20 liras is an average price especially for beef and lamb like the rest have mentioned beef and lamb is very expensive here in turkey. I would estimate an average entree meal here in antalya would be ranging from 15-25 lirs depending on what you order and yes fish ( which is often sold by the kg ) can also be very expensive. lesson learned ask the prices before ordering or ask to see a menu with the prices listed.

Which restaurant was this ?? and where is the location ? in the old city ?? there are lots of trendy restaurants here in Antalya that can be more expensive than the local family restaurants ( lokantas )

Mentioned in this post
Antalya
Antalya
Antalya Province, Turkey
Alanya, Turkey
Level Contributor
494 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I'm be ripped off for one person dinner charge 50 TL ?

H,

Definitely it is not an expensive for a dinner. 50 Lira is 25 USD Dollars. It depends what you order..The price of same dish may change even in same city.That is same everywhere..

Istanbul
Level Contributor
2,654 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I'm be ripped off for one person dinner charge 50 TL ?

It's expensive for Turkey. It's irrelevant how much it is in dollars. But yes, ask first if there are no prices on show.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
816 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I'm be ripped off for one person dinner charge 50 TL ?

i have eaten is more expensive restaurant in antalya , 50 Lira is not that much money for a decent meal like you had , it is so normal price and fair enough , plus we never enter restaurant out of our budget , first we check the menu prices and we choose dishes VS our budget , in antalya chicken dishes is so far cheaper than lamp or meet . the tittle of your topic of being ripped off do not sound realistic ,

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
40,058 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I'm be ripped off for one person dinner charge 50 TL ?

Tina, you had two main dishes and for that it is not very expensive. With only one main dish, you would have paid only 30 TL and that is an average price for a restaurant.

enigma...