We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Wings Hotel Versus Royal Dragon Hotel

portsmouth
Level Contributor
78 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Royal Wings Hotel Versus Royal Dragon Hotel

We are a family of 10, 8 adults and 2 children, ages range from 2years of age up to mid 50's. We have narrowed our search down to these two hotels for our family holiday next year, we havent been away as a family in years so want it to be special. Can I please have your thoughts on which one would be better and reasons why?

Many Thanks

Stewart

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Wings Hotel Versus Royal Dragon Hotel

I've only stopped in the dragon and this hotel has been the best we have stopped when visiting turkey, I've toured the royal wings and I didn't like it, it needs updating tired in places and the rooms were dark and if I'm honest the one we saw was very tired. It does however get good reviews and the beach in Lara is very nice and close to. The airport.

The dragon is about 50 min away you are near to side so easy for shopping, you have a promanade to walk along the beach and a fab beach restaurant.

If you want the Lara area look into the royal holiday palace as its the sister to the wings, we enjoyed our stay here but the dragon was better.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
506 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Wings Hotel Versus Royal Dragon Hotel

I've stayed at both and they are both very good hotels but I would say the Dragon has the edge over the Wings. The Wings is beginning to look a bit tired & worn now (in my opinion) but the Dragon still has its "sparkle"

There is more to do outside of the hotel in Çolaklı than there is in Lara & as Dingle says there is a promenade to have a stroll along the beach, and you can walk along the beach to Side too - although it is quite a way, I walked there & it took me nearly 2 hours at a leisurely stroll, got the dolmas back though!

The plus side to the Wings is the short transfer time, it takes around 15 - 20 minutes to Lara & 45 minutes to an hour to Çolaklı - if the transfer time is a deciding factor & you plump for Lara, I agree with Dingle, have a look at the Royal Holiday Palace as this is another very good Stone Group hotel & it is the newest of all three & although I haven't stayed at this one when I had a look around it, it looked fabulous & it has some really good reviews.

UNITED KINGDOM
Level Contributor
4,132 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Wings Hotel Versus Royal Dragon Hotel

Have also stayed at both and agree with poppy-jo. If you are after good quality drinks though RW is better and readily available, whereas it was local brands at the RD (when we were there anyway). The promenade is lovely at the RD and a short dolmus ride into Side. We liked both but I would also look at the RHP (not stayed there but others recommend it).

My son preferred the aquapark at the RD :)

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
15,332 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Wings Hotel Versus Royal Dragon Hotel

Hi cheesystu

Maybe look at this Stone group website at the various stone group hotels !

http://stonegrouphotels.com/

I would go for the Royal Holiday Palace as it is much newer than the Royal Wings and although the Royal Dragon looks nice like Bugalug says international drinks are not readily available there.

We stayed at the RHP last February and it really is lovely and luxurious and spotlessly clean..The problem with the RW is that the fun fair is at the front of the hotel so you would be having to leave the rest of the party to take the children there. The RHP has a lovely small pool with smaller kids slides.

Edited: 4:40 am, June 03, 2013
Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
15,332 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal Wings Hotel Versus Royal Dragon Hotel

Should have read waterpark and fun fair at the front of the hotel.

Aberdeen
Level Contributor
334 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal Wings Hotel Versus Royal Dragon Hotel

I have been to RW, RD and RHP in this order and would say my preference is in the same order. You should definately have a look at the RHP, but sure you will enjoy any of these hotels.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal Wings Hotel Versus Royal Dragon Hotel

Hi we have also travelled to both. If I'm honest it's a tough one to call as both hotels are fantastic!!! I have 2 children who loved the water park at both hotels and me and my husband enjoyed the food and drinks at both but yes more branded drinks at Royal wings. The beauty of Lara beach is that it's 15-20 mins transfer as opposed to an hour - if I was asked which hotel of the two I would go to next week I would probably say Royal Wings but there's really not much in it. This is orob not helping you at all but wherever you choose will be fantastic - enjoy xxx

Pembs
Level Contributor
160 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Royal Wings Hotel Versus Royal Dragon Hotel

we are looking at booking next year, we have two 7 year olds. We stayed at the Sherwood dreams this year which we liked, but these two look much better. Again the only thing puts me off is the waterparks being different side to pools. can you swim in the water park pools when the slides are off. also whats the health and safety like at the fair in the dreams it was terrible.

9. Re: Royal Wings Hotel Versus Royal Dragon Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 25, 2014