We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Kaleiçi from Side

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Topic
Getting to Kaleiçi from Side

Hello,

I am visiting Antalya for 5 nights in May. I am going with my brother who loves to drive and any trip is incomplete if he doesn't get to rent a car and drive from one place to another.

I am planning to stay in Side for the most part and then visit Kaleiçi for one night before I leave the region.

Would you recommend renting a car to drive from Side to Kaleiçi and then drive to Antalya airport and drop off the car there? Would it be way more expensive than taking a bus or something?

Is it possible to take a bus from Side to Kaleiçi? Is it cost effective?

Thanks! :)

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Kaleiçi from Side

I'd stick to renting a car in Side for a drive around the local sights there. Driving into Kaleici is a hassle (no dis to your bro, but it's not a walk in the park). Best to take the bus from Side to Kaleici - buses about every 30mins from Manavgat to Antalya bus station (15TL), then either take a taxi (30TL) from there to Kaleici, or hop on the tram (2TL?) to the Ismetpasa stop and walk (or taxi) from there.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Kaleiçi from Side

Thanks so much davidm1! Bus it is :D

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Kaleiçi from Side

Can you get a direct bus from Side to Antalya? Doing it the other direction we got dropped off on the main road outside Manavgat, and there was a dolmus there waiting to pick passengers up and take them to Side. It was supposed to be a freebie dolmus, but I recall the driver tried it on.

If that's the way it works in reverse, then if I were you, I'd get a dolmus from Side to the Manavgat Otogar, and catch the bus to Antalya from there. The main reason being that by going to Manavgat you will guarantee a seat, whereas being picked up on the main road the bus might already be full.

It's quite a pleasant tram ride from Antalya Otogar tram station to Ismetpasa, and then it's just a couple of minutes walk to Kaleici. Lovely place!

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Kaleiçi from Side

On leaving my hotel in Kaleici last year I couldn't be bothered to walk with luggage to the tram station (I'd say more like 10 minutes from the centre of Kaleici, half a mile?), so I took a taxi to the otogar, 27TL on the meter, arrived just in time to buy a ticket for a bus that departed 15mins later.

I guess if you're a backpacker it's no problem doing that walk. Also depending where your hotel in Kaleici is. Ismetpasa tram station is here - wikimapia.org/…b

Edited: 9:02 am, February 03, 2013
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Kaleiçi from Side

Hey would you guys suggest that I spend a day in Kaleici first and then go to Side for 4 nights or spend 5 nights in Side and get to Kaleici on the day of departure and spend a couple hours there? My flight out of Antalya is at midnight so I would have good 8-10 hours to spend there.

Which would be most cost and time effective?

And yes I would have one big luggage and I'd prefer not to haul it around with me. Whether I first go to Kaeici or towards the end of the trip, I'd need to find a luggage storage place or something.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Kaleiçi from Side

@davidm1<<<On leaving my hotel in Kaleici last year I couldn't be bothered to walk with luggage to the tram station (I'd say more like 10 minutes from the centre of Kaleici, half a mile?)>>>

Your're jogging my memory a bit more! Kaleici is a bit of a maze, and can be a fair old hike from the Ismetpasa tram stop, and finding your accommodation might be a problem without a detailed map of the Old Town.

As the OP has got one big bag, and as the tram station is a few minutes walk from the Otogar, and with the walk from Ismetpasa, then a taxi might be best.

Edited: 6:37 am, February 04, 2013
Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Kaleiçi from Side

Siddiqui. We weren't that impressed with Side, but we loved Kaleici [and Antalya]. Horses for courses.

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Kaleiçi from Side

I'd say stay the last night in Kaleici, then you can leave your bag at the hotel during the last day while you look around Antalya.

I like Side, it makes a good base for driving to the various ancient sites and stuff in that region.

P.S. One day I'll return to visit more of the Roman aqueduct there - romanaqueducts.info/aquasite/side/index.html

Edited: 7:40 am, February 04, 2013
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Kaleiçi from Side

Hmm, thanks for all the help guys! I decided to stay in Side for 5 nights and spend the last day in Kaleici. I'd be able to get a bus shuttle through the airline that will take me from Antalya airport to Side. I have seen various posts that tell how to get to Kaleici from Side so I'll look through those again.

Thanks again!

10. Re: Getting to Kaleiçi from Side

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 17, 2014