We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Termessos - is it possible to spend the night there ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Termessos - is it possible to spend the night there ?

I am really looking forward to visiting Termessos, probably in October. I would love to see the sunset and sunrise there. Does anyone know if it is possible or allowed to stay there overnight ?

istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Termessos - is it possible to spend the night there ?

If you are thinking of camping, they may let you set up a tent at the parking lot, outside the grounds. But even that is a big question mark because I doubt that the person guarding the grounds stays up near the ruins at night.

In any case, you would not be allowed inside the grounds which means that watching the sunset or sunrise near the peak, from around the theatre or the agora would be impossible because the parking area is about 4-500 meters below the main site.

This is a very little excavated site and you should realize that the threat of people taking away historic artifacts, chards, coins, mosaics, what not is very great. Even such a request could be viewed with suspicion, unless you were accompanied by a local guide or archeologist who might be able to get the rerquired permit.

And if you do get a permit, you should realize that it will be very cold up the mountain at night in October. Not freezing but close.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
41,364 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Termessos - is it possible to spend the night there ?

Kassy, Termessos is under the jurisdiction of Turkish Ministry of Tourism and Culture and thus is a government property. You can not stay at any of these sites in Turkey, just visit them.

However, close by in the village of Yesilbayır, there is the Orfe Horse Riding Club, where you can stay overnight and be close Termessos. "hotel-listings-online.com/hotel-details/1870…".

good luck,

enigma...

London, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Termessos - is it possible to spend the night there ?

Thanks guys. I hope the security guard searches all the tourists when they're leaving ....

What sort of times do they open and close then ? What would daytime temperatures be like in October ? Would it be better to come in September ?

I've found a place near there called Yesil Vadi that has cabins. I'll check out the riding club as well, thanks enigma.

istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Termessos - is it possible to spend the night there ?

Destination experts are always better informed and experienced than us regular posters, so i will leave it to him to respond to your questions. I have only visited the site three times so I do not qualify as an expert.

Just a personal note:

Unfortunately, many visitors will walk away with small pieces from these un-excavated sites, especially in the off season when they are not noticed to be picking up things. However, I doubt that you would be allowed on the site with back packs and/or other types of bags which can be used to carry any largish pieces.

Also, it would be difficult to find anything worthwhile just laying around since the sites are usually overgrown with vegetation and.or have been scavenged for centuries. yet, even some pieces of mosaic may mean that an eventual restoration of a floor pattern will go unfinished. you need to see archeologists at work to understand how much they venerate every single piece of seemingly worthless earthenware pot or a flint..

Termessos is a great site where you can spend hours, especially if you wear thistle and bush proof clothing and boots and like to climb. There will be some wild life and possibly snakes if you get off the regular paths.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
41,364 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Termessos - is it possible to spend the night there ?

Kassy, Since I am not a Destination Expert for Antalya and have visited Termessos only once, OÇ has probably better answers for you.

I would suggest that you visit this place at late September or early October for ideal siteseeing temperatures. For hours of operation, have a look at. "http://www.muze.gov.tr/termessos-en". (click on visiting hours).

good luck,

enigma...

6. Re: Termessos - is it possible to spend the night there ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:42 pm, September 17, 2012
istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Termessos - is it possible to spend the night there ?

Saffron blaze, thanks for your post, excellent review and the pointers.

i guess that you would have been searched if your metal detector had been visible. LOL

8. Re: Termessos - is it possible to spend the night there ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:42 pm, September 17, 2012
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
41,364 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Termessos - is it possible to spend the night there ?

Saffron_Blaze, Thank you very much for an outstanding review on Termessos. It sure would be very useful for future travellers. It is genuine reviews like these from genuine travellers like yourself that make life more interesting for all of us. Thank you once again.

cheers,

enigma...

Edited: 3:29 am, January 02, 2012
Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
7,740 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Termessos - is it possible to spend the night there ?

Thanks so much Saffron Blaze for your review and photos - I had never read much about Termessos before, but you have really whetted my appetite to visit!