We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather end of December into January?

Dunbar, United...
Level Contributor
288 posts
10 reviews
Weather end of December into January?

Whats the weather like at this time of year as i am thinking of going for a week to the Delphin Palace.

Thanks

Yvonne

Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
1. Re: Weather end of December into January?

We've stayed in our house here, 100 miles along the coast from Antalya, for the past 3 New Years - the weather has generally been quite sunny and warmish (15C in the day) but gets colder (0/-5) at night. You can go out in the day in a shirt and jacket and maybe take the jacket off if you're sitting in the sun.

Great time to visit archeological sites, it's not too hot and you're usually the only visitor!

Having said that, it might rain every day, but we'll probably be back again in December.

cornwall, england
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
2. Re: Weather end of December into January?

Hi . We arrived on 26 december last year for 2 weeks. Weather changeable and cold in the evening. The outside pools were not used (too cold) but most days you could sit outside with t shirt. Often a chill in the wind when we were there. Make sure you have hotel with adequate heating in the main areas. We found that the Royal Wings where we stayed was really built to keep cool in summer and was difficult to warm in winter.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,956 posts
36 reviews
3. Re: Weather end of December into January?

Here is the eight day forcast for Antalya

Tmax (°C) 20 21 22 20 18 17 19 16

Tmin (°C) 13 12 12 13 7 10 11 9

Rain risk 20 % 25 % 10 % 10 % 10 % 65 % 55 % 30 %

a bit of cloud some days..and a couple of days it shows the chance of rain..

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/Turkey.htm

LONDON
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Weather end of December into January?

There is a fantastic weather website that gives you the history for the past 10 years so it gives an average from the weather history which is really useful. You just enter the date of your holidays and it gives yout he averages. wunderground.com/cgi-bin/…

Its really useful.

nancykid

Melbourne
Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
5. Re: Weather end of December into January?

i would like to know is it advisable to visit antalya, pamukkale and selcuk in 15 january 2009?

i know antalya will not snow so i think is ok but how about pamukkale and selcuk? is it still possible to visit??

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,956 posts
36 reviews
6. Re: Weather end of December into January?

Hi blue sea waves..

Yes it is possible to visit those areas..the mountains surrounding Antalya do have snow on them right now..( very lovely BTW ) ...the area around Pamukkale will also have snow in the mountains...

all areas will be fine but cold..the coldests being Pamukkale..but then you can visit a hot spring..

We visited Selcuk in Feb-2007...it was great..but we were preparded for cold temps...as long as you dont expect sun bathing temps you will be fine..however it could rain too..so I advise you bring warm and water proof jackets..

nice time to visit the historical sites without the heat or crowds :=))

Melbourne
Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
7. Re: Weather end of December into January?

Hi canmom,

thanks for the reply. few more questions i need to ask.

1) I planning to fly to antalya from ankara (anadolu jet), may i know how do i get to the town from the airport besides using taxi? Any public transport and how far is it? 30 mins or 1 hour? I am planning to stay at sabah pensyion.

2) I would also like to go for ski, how can i go about it from my pensyion or should i book a tour to go there?

3) Is it still able to dipped in the thermal pool in pamukkale?

I am not planning to sunbathing in any of the beaches so that is ok. As i heard that there will not be snow in antalya besides the mountain right??? If it is too cold i afraid it will be too difficult to walk around (as i will be walking all the time because of the attractions are all nearby to each other).

Thanks.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,956 posts
36 reviews
8. Re: Weather end of December into January?

hi again...

1) you can take the havas buses from the airport to the city center..

http://www.havas.com.tr/en/otobus_antalya.asp

Route: Antalya Airport, Topçular, Oyak Junction, City Center , Bus Station .

Passenger Dropping Spots:

Our shuttles drop passengers at Topçular, Oyak Intersection, Governorship Building, Mevlana junction , Castle Gate, 100 Year Boulevard, Falez, Shereton Hotel, Kemer Minibus spot, “Adliye İller Bank” and the Coach Station respectively, on the way to the city center.

Departure time: Approximately 30 minutes.

Ticket fee: 10,00 YTL (VAT incl.)

you can get off at the Governorship Building, Mevlana junction , Castle Gate, ( Meydan,Doğu Garajı, Şehir Merkezi, Eski Otogar, Murat Paşa Camii, Milli Egemenlik Cad. )

from there you will have to walk into the kaleiçi ( old city to find your pernsion ..

2)hmmm...not 100 % sure but I would imagine any tour office in the old city or your pension can offer info...the nearest ski area... is Saklikent and is about 1 hr or so away from Antalya...( really I dont think you will have enough time in your stay in Antalya to do this...better off checking out the historical sights )

3) at Hierapolis...there is the thermal pools ..of course not the travernes..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hierapolis

if I remember correct located very near to the museum..Located above the theatre of Hierapolis, the mineral water sources from the thermal springs of Cal Mountain. It is collected in a pool, known as the "Sacred Pool" of ancient times, where you can swim amidst the historical remains of Hierapolis.

no...I cannot see if difficult to walk around...for the past couple of days..cold but sunny...also the main attractions in the city of antalya are very near to each other...if you can look for my photos on flickr..

also other places just take one of the daily organized trips ( perge, aspendos etc.. )

also use the public transportation and even the local tram..to visit the museum..

Melbourne
Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
9. Re: Weather end of December into January?

Thanks canmom,

u mentioned: "you can get off at the Governorship Building, Mevlana junction , Castle Gate, ( Meydan,Doğu Garajı, Şehir Merkezi, Eski Otogar, Murat Paşa Camii, Milli Egemenlik Cad. )"

So i choose to get off at castle Gate and walk to the old town. (Is it easy to find the way to the old town? Is it near)? Can i just get off at the Bus station? wouldn't it be more close?

"( Meydan,Doğu Garajı, Şehir Merkezi, Eski Otogar, Murat Paşa Camii, Milli Egemenlik Cad. )" is this means the road and the thing that i will see when i walk to the old town if i choose to get off on one of the station that u mentioned above?

one more last question: How many hour is it from antalya to pammukale? 2 hours by buy? I remember i read about ur comment about this on some of the thread but i couldn't find it again.

thanks for your help.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,956 posts
36 reviews
10. Re: Weather end of December into January?

<<<<<<<<So i choose to get off at castle Gate and walk to the old town. (Is it easy to find the way to the old town? Is it near? <<<<<

yes..walk through Hadrians gate..and down into the old part of the city..not that far...however inside of the old city it is like a maze..so just ask for directions to the pension..

you could also get off near the Governorship Building or even closer the Mevlana junction..again at the clock tower you can easily walk down into the kaleiçi...there are plenty of taxi stops around this area..so just ask for directions

<<<<<<Can i just get off at the Bus station? wouldn't it be more close?<<<<

no too far...from there you would have to find either a taxi or local buses to get into the city center...as the bus station is not located directly inside of the city..around 20 mins by bus...

it does not make sense to pass these other points on your way to the bus station with the havas...

pamukkale info;

Posted on: 2:39 pm, April 24, 2008 Save

Ps..forgot to say the price of the ticket from Antalya to ( Denizli ) is 20 liras per person..

called 444 35 35 ( in Turkey )

PAMUKKALE Turizm

Posted on: 12:36 pm, June 14, 2008 Save

bumping for...blue_sea_waves...

Also the time from Antalya to Denizli by bus is 3.5hrs..