We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Tripadvisor
Alanya
Search

Things to Do in Alanya in the Winter

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
632 posts
80 reviews
154 helpful votes
Things to Do in Alanya in the Winter
Save

Hi I posted this on the Antalya section and was directed here.

Just wondered if any of you tripees have experienced Alanya in February. We have been given a fortnights holiday at the Alaiye Resort and Spa Hotel first two weeks in Feb. We are not strangers to Turkey but never been in the winter before and most of the places we have been were seasonal and closed down completely for the winter! We realise it won't be hot but will there be anything to do/see out and about? We will have a 5 year old with us too! Any kiddies things like parks, swings or such things like; Will tour operators still be operating or will we need to hire a car?

Any info would be appreciated.

Kath

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
111 posts
4 reviews
9 helpful votes
1. Re: Things to Do in Alanya in the Winter
Save

The weather may be more changeable. Possibly more storms and power cuts but they dont last long. It can be warm enough during the day but you will feel the cold later on in the afternoon. Read the reviews on the hotel that you are staying in and be prepared. Plenty of things to do, easy to hop on and off the busses to get around. Childrens playgrounds are plentiful and excellent. Bowling Alley and Movies too. Be prepared that your room might be cooler than you think and check that the airconditioning is also for heating too. It will be very pleasant one way or the other.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
632 posts
80 reviews
154 helpful votes
2. Re: Things to Do in Alanya in the Winter
Save

Hi Liam, Thank you so much for your response. I feel a lot better about going in winter now.

thanks again

Kath

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
111 posts
4 reviews
9 helpful votes
3. Re: Things to Do in Alanya in the Winter
Save

Hi Kath,

if you want to pm me for a chat, please feel free and I can send you some local links that might help. There is plenty up here on the area though. Lucky you, nice trip to get. Grainne

Alanya, Turkey
11 posts
4. Re: Things to Do in Alanya in the Winter
Save

Hi Kath,

I do agree with Grainne about the weather, daytime is still warm but you will certainly need some jacket in the evening. In Alanya town there is still quite many things to do in winter time too. Many shops, restaurants are still open, some may however close earlier than in summer. There are quite many parks with children swings and similar things, to mention some - on the Cleopatra Beach there is really a big one in the part of Damlatas close to the castle, in the city centre near the municipality house or on the way to Oba a nice park including also table tennis and nice fountain. Besides, all the sights are open in winter time too - e.g. the Castle, RedTower or Sapadere canyon, Dimcay river can be visited in winter too (maybe without swimming :) I am sure your hotel will have some facilities for children as well. In case of rainy weather, you may visit the Alanyum shopping centre, where there is also a nice playland on the top floor and a 5D cinema.

If you want to see little more info about traveling to Alanya with children, you may visit our site:

www.visitalanya.com/en/children-in-alanya

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
632 posts
80 reviews
154 helpful votes
5. Re: Things to Do in Alanya in the Winter
Save

Thank you both - much appreciated

Kth

Dundee, United...
3 posts
1 review
6. Re: Things to Do in Alanya in the Winter
Save

hi there we have booked to fly to alanya for one week on 28th december over new year period, can anyone tell me if shops and markets etc are still open during winter. and also what the weather will be like in december/january. also if the nightlife is any good were in our late 20s and booked as spur of the moment. any information would be greatly appreciated. thank you :) xx

Alanya, Turkey
11 posts
7. Re: Things to Do in Alanya in the Winter
Save

Hi Sharlene,

there are shops, markets and restaurants open during winter in Alanya, not 100% of them but most. Some shops that are open till night in summer may close earlier in december / january. As to the nightlife, it is more vibrant on Fridays and Saturdays in winter. Some discos in the harbor are opened weekdays too but many of them have life Turkish music during the week. Turkish bars are quite popular or the new place Harry's with life international music used to be quite full last winter.

Besides, around the Xmas time there is a Christmas tree and market in the harbor and I'm sure there will be many New Year Celebration options for you in Alanya.

The usual december / january weather is around 15°C daytime and less than 10°C at night time, so you will need a jacket for sure.

Wish you a nice New Year holiday in Alanya :)

Dundee, United...
3 posts
1 review
8. Re: Things to Do in Alanya in the Winter
Save

thank you verymuch for your quick reply, looking forward to visiting turkey over the festive period even more now you have put our minds at rest. thanks again :) xx

Toronto, Canada
5 posts
9. Re: Things to Do in Alanya in the Winter
Save

Can anyone attest to the amount of rainfall in Alanya in winter? Wikipedia (english and turkish) as well as wikitravel claim over 200mm rainfall in Januaryand also in February, that's 6mm of rain per day everyday. It almost looks like a typo. Does it rain every day in winter?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
56 reviews
79 helpful votes
10. Re: Things to Do in Alanya in the Winter
Save

During winter some days it literally buckets down while on other days it is a fresh but clear 18-22c.

Even when it rains the weather more or less stays the same and doesn't get much colder than 15c.

I recently rented a motorbike and rode from Konakli to Alanya castle etc where it was pouring down both ways. The day before & after was clear with no rain.

During winter in Antalya/Alanya when it rains it really rains and when it is clear it usually remains clear.

It definitely doesn't rain every day in winter. I'd say 40% of the time it does.

As far as things to do are concerned you could visit the 800 year old Seljuk Alanya castle and literally spend the whole day up there visiting all the places. Have some yummy gozleme from a little road side stall on your way up the hill that has tables & chairs to sit whilst eating.

Visit the historic Suleymaniye mosque also close to the top.

When you have decended & made your way back down then visit the 800 year old Seljuk red tower & ship yard.

If you feel like a drive then make your way to Side to check out the great amphitheater & waterfront Apollo temple.

These places could easily keep you occupied for 2-3 days or more depending on how active you are & on your form of transport.

Get answers to your questions about Alanya
More Alanya Topics