We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gold City info

ESSEX
Level Contributor
116 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Gold City info

Hello all at Tripadvisor I need a little help, Staying at GC for 14 nights arriving 15th Aug ( 2 adults 3 teenagers )Fly in to antalya airport ( GC transfers arranged ) Have only booked the accom 3 bed apartment in the hotel (private let)

Question 1. Is it worth upgrading to the breakfast option when I arrive or even consider the half board option, Ive read all Inc guests have not been happy. 2 How many restaurants are there and prices also what food shops are there on the complex and what are my options localy recommendations for local restaurants. 3 ATMs at gold city are they mastercard or visa? and did anyone have any trouble with mozzys and transport to alanya how far is it and how much!! thankyou to all that reply and any extra information you might think is useful fire away. Bob

Worcestershire
Level Contributor
244 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gold City info

Hi Bob

We have just got back from GC - we spent 9 days there. We rented a 2 bedroom apartment in the hotel, which was lovely. We took some dishwasher and washing machine tabs with us, as it saves buying big boxes when you are there. Also tea towels are a good idea and we took 4 large picnic type mugs, because they only provide you with small cups and I like a decent sized cup of tea! Oh yes, take some tea bags with you!! There is a shop on site which has pretty well everything (thought the pasta sauce was expensive at 10.5TL for a jar) not as cheap as supermarkets in Mahmutlar, but I guess theat's to be expected. We didn't get much from there as we had a car, so popping into Mahmutlar, down to the beach, into Alanya was easy. The hotel run free shuttle busses to the beach and Alanya, which looked a bit crowded, but do the job. Getting back to your questions.....

I'm not sure what they'll be charging you for breakfast option or half board. While we were there, a lady told me that they wanted 50 euro per person per day for all inclusive, which seemed a lot to me! I don't think I'd bother with breakfast personally, as we had milk, cornflakes, toast in our apartment and our girls didn't appear till lunch time anyway! Lunch by the pool was nice and reasonably priced. We didn't eat in the hotel restaurants this time, went into Alanya once and Mahmutlar a few times - very good and cheap kebab/pide place there called something like Durumcu (don't think that's quite right!!) on the main road through the town 18TL for all 4 of us, including a drink each!! Food is great there too. Went to Buzzy's on our last night - great atmosphere and lots of fun with the waiters, food OK..more expensive there, but probably still less than the UK. Think a lot of the restaurants in Mahmutlar will pick you up from GC for free and take you home.

There were a lot of all inclusive guests when we were there - I was slightly jealous of their tea and cakes in the afternoon and free drinks! I can't really comment about whether it was a good value option or not.

Sorry, don't know about the ATMs.

It's about 10-15 mins into Alanya by car. The hotel put on a free shuttle bus several times a day, think the last one back is around 11.30pm.

No trouble with the dreaded mozzies - I didn't see any at GC although put some stuff on just in case because I normally get bitten a lot! Made sure I had lots on when we went into Alanya/Mahmutlar in the evening though.

It is very hot out there - take plenty of sun cream, it's cheaper in the UK. GC definately a few degrees cooler than the towns, often there was a slight breeze which was nice. Temps around 38 deg at GC, a couple of days topping 40. But fine if all you have to do is swim and lie on the sun beds!! Oh yes, the sunbeds.... that was a bit annoying and something I've heard of but not experienced.... people reserving sunbeds early morning and then not using them till 5pm - WHY???!! My husband went for a swim about 8.30am the one morning and pretty well all of the sunbeds (and that's quite a lot!) had towels on them and hardly anyone there.... oh well...

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with - by the way, air con in the apartments is great, so no trouble sleeping! Hope you have a brilliant time whatever you decide to do.

F45+

ESSEX
Level Contributor
116 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gold City info

Thanks fabfortyfive, for that really usefull info. The upgraded breakfast option that I mentioned will cost 6 euros each 3 euros for my youngest who is 11, my boys enjoy a good breakfast, looks like up early for the sunbeds!! who did you hire your car from, will take my licence ( not sure yet if I want a car)

Booked my 3 bed Hotel apartment through best gold city deals will let you know how I get on. Glad you had a fab Holiday. Bob

Worcestershire
Level Contributor
244 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gold City info

Hiya Bob. Glad info was useful. Sounds like the breakfast option might be a good one for you and the boys. I walked through the buffet restaurant one morning and there looked to be plenty of choice, all the usual things. Don't think they provide orange juice, though, more like squash. Might be an extra charge for OJ or you can get it at the shop if needed.

Breakfast option would have been a waste of money for my girls with their small appetites and too stressful to get them out of bed in time, anyway!!

We picked our car up from Antalya airport. I booked on line with Elit Car Rentals, but the car was actually supplied by ABA rent a car - nothing is ever straight forward is it??! Guy seemed an honest sort, car was OK. He's called M Turan Tokdemir, have his contact details if you want them.. They do hire cars from GC too and can arrange all that for you, if you prefer. You might as well take your licence so you've got the option and decide when you get there.

We went to the Dim Cay river one very hot day. It was cooler there, there are various restaurants along the river, on floating pontoons. You can eat there and swim in the water, if you're brave enough - it's v cold!! Mr F45 bet my youngest daughter 150 TL she wouldn't jump of the board - so of course she did! That'll teach him!! Most have slides and a high board to jump off. We found a lovely one right at the top of the river - began with a 'P' - setting was beautiful, waterfall and water very clean and clear. Think your boys would like it. There were loads of other trips as well - white water rafting was one that we nearly went on, but the girls weren't too keen. Would rather have been sunbathing. We checked out the price and it was around 62 euros for 4 of us. This included transport by air con coach to canyon (around 2.5 - 3 hours apparently) pick up from GC, lunch and rafting - seemed like pretty amazing value - wish we'd have dragged the girls along and gone now!! By the time we thought of it, it was the day before we left and seemed like a lot of travelling to do.

All the best.

F45+

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gold City info

Dear fab45,

we are going self catering to gold city in the next couple of weeks, your post was really useful just have a few more questions so we know how much money to take.

1. Is is best to take euros or Turkish lira

2. any idea about the price of drinks in gold city bars i.e. cocktails, beer, lemonade (for my daughter)

3. any idea about the lunch/dinner prices if we were to eat at one of the gold city restaurants

thanks very much in anticipation

Worcestershire
Level Contributor
244 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gold City info

Hi Davepeel

Lucky you - wish I was! Will try to answer your questions...

Euros, TL and GBP all accepted. I would say that if you are able, take sterling and exchange it in one of the money exchange places outside of GC as you will get a better rate. The rate at the hotel when we were there was 2.4 and I understand that in town it was 2.7. You can change you money into TL and then use it in the hotel, or load it onto a plastic card that you can use to pay for stuff in the hotel.

GC drinks - well, my girls went off to the disco with Mr F45's card (!)... malibu & coke x 2 was 38TL (you pay for the shot and then for the coke). Malibu is around 14tl and coke 5tl. Imported spirits are more expensive than the local drinks, so a local vodka was around 8tl - imported was double that. I couldn't tell the difference!! Effes (local lager - which is nice) was 8tl in GC and around 4-5tl outside of the hotel. Cocktails - cheapest was a gin fizz at around 12/14tl (can't quite remember!!), going right up to 30TL. Something like a Pina Colada was about 20tl.

This time we didn't eat dinner at the hotel, but when we went last April we ate in the Turkish restaurant, which was nice and I remeber thinking that it wasn't expensive.

Lunch by the pool we did eat - quite a lot! Trying to remember, so might be one or two lira out, but this should give you an idea... Turkish pancake (gozleme) which was nice and made in front of you by a lady, was 4tl, pizza 12tl, salads 7-10tl, omlettes around 8tl, something like seabass fillets and chips 16tl, chips 5tl, burgers 8-10tl (we didn't like those!). Other choices available too, all prices seemed good, service quick and cheerful. All served in the shade by the pool, which was really nice. There is also a bar and food being served down at the beach. While I remember, icecreams available from the shop were 2tl each e.g. cornetto.

About the beach - it's shingle - gets hot so you will need flip flops to walk on it. The beach shelves very steeply and a couple of times when we were there the sea was quite rough where the shelf is, I guess. Once you got passed the surf it got deep very quickly. Floats are a good idea, breeze was on shore, so no danger of floating out. I'm not a strong swimmer, but managed to bob happily beyond the surf with a lilo, watch out though, the waves are quite strong. You'll see what I mean. That said, there were plenty of fearless youngsters loving the surf playing with their bodyboards etc. Sea very warm. Not sure how old you daughter is, but just so you're aware. It was lovely on the beach, with a bit of breeze. There are kids paddling pools for use there, so you can fill them with water and little ones can play in those.

Anyway, I've now started to answer questions you haven't asked, so i'll be off now!! Let me know if you'd like any more info and have a fab holiday!

F45

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gold City info

Thanks fab45 for the fantastic feedback really useful will make our choices much more informed thanks to you !!!!

cheers Dave

Worcestershire
Level Contributor
244 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gold City info

Dave - Glad it was helpful - have a wonderful holiday!

Corby, Northants
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gold City info

Excellent info. Fab45 thanks!!!

We too are heading out for 2 weeks on Sunday, can't wait. We have a 1 bed apartment. The hotel emailed me all of the restaurant menus which I can send on to any of you if you message me, or alternatively I'm sure they will send them to you if you email them. Prices look OK, looking forward to trying the Japanese restaurant as we like that sort of thing.

Can't wait to get the coach journey there out of the way and to start enjoying ourselves.

Just one other question Fab45, did you try any of the spa facilities, either at the hotel or at European Beauty in Mahmutlar, as I've heard that they are good and reasonable and do you know of any good places in Mahmutlar to get a Turkish shave. TIA.

John

Edited: 3:08 pm, August 15, 2011
Worcestershire
Level Contributor
244 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gold City info

Hi John

Glad to be of assistance!

Yes, journey is a bit of a pain, but go with the flow, you are on holiday and even the journey's better than being at work!! Enjoy seeing Turkish life - I've never seen so many people on a moped (mum, dad, two kids and a baby! not a helmet between them!) as an ex motorbike rider it made my blood run cold!! Funniest thing I saw was a guy on a moped - he DID have a helmet, BUT it was hanging from the handlebars. He was using it to carry his mobile phone and can of pop!! All part of life's rich tapestry!

Anyway, sorry, I have gone off on a bit of a tangent... the spa is lovely. Indoor pool with bubbly end (you know what I mean), jacquzzi (not spelt correctly, I don't think!), marble sunbeds that are warm (have a posh name, but have had a tough day at work and ferrying kids around, so can't remember it!), steam room, sauna and hamman (I think) - room with heated marble slabs you lie on - all these are free. Treatments are extra and this is what you were probably asking about (!). I didn't indulge as they seemed a bit expensive, priced in Euros and think half an hour massage was about 30 euros, BUT, I have heard that you may be able to haggle them down a bit - always worth a try! Wasn't lucky enough to get treated at European Beauty either - bah! Think it would be worth checking out their charges too.

Turkish shave? Mr F45 said he wanted a hardcore turkish shave at a proper barbers - we were wandering through Mahmutlar at the time, next thing a chap appeared, grabbed him - you want turkish shave?? (he must have looked a bit wild and woolly, as if he needed one) OK said Mr F45 and diappeared into the shop... which was called .... DIVA COIFFEUR!!! How we laughed - pretty hardcore, eh?? Well, it was 30TL (have no idea if that's a good price or not as don't have a lot of experience of turkish shaves) which included shampoo, haircut, shave (luckily!), some stange joint clicking manipulation (which didn't hurt) and a neck and shoulder massage. Sounds quite good when you see it on paper!! He came out looking a right bobby dazzler! I shall let you draw your own conclusions....

F45

Corby, Northants
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gold City info

Wow thats sounds great!!!!

Thanks again for all of the info F45, it's much appreciated and makes us well prepared to enjoy our holiday to the max.

John

Get answers to your questions about Alanya
More Alanya Topics