We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help

Which Port El Kantaoui hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Save Topic
help

Booked to go in march stayin at caruso palace (i think thats the name!) just wondering if anyone can give me ideas on what to do while am there and what to expect. I read a review about shootings near the hotel recently this scares me! Hellpp!! :)

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
241 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help

Your hotel is called the Hotel El Hana Palace Caruso. Most people just refer to it as the "El Hana". The resort of Port El Kantaoui is probably one of the most secure in Tunisia, with a highly visible police presence. Currently, there are problems in Sidi Bou Said where the 13th century shrine there was desecrated last Saturday in an arson attack.

Save Reply
2. Re: help

Thanks for your help. Do u know of any attractions close by? Also I was told I could try speed boating and quad bikes etc something im lookin forward to!

Save Reply
3. Re: help

the resort will have quite a bit on in march...day excursions are great but can get quite costly..port el k is a lovely place and a nice intro to tunisia just be a bit carefull with the side streets( as with anywhere ) haggling is great just be firm but pleasent dont be shy they love to barta... speed boating/banana boats are fab wouldnt advise quads as roads are crazy. we love the country and have been going for many years now and also going back in march...enjoy ur holiday and best advice is get chatting to brits in the hotel as many like us come back year after year and will happily tell u where to go and do x

Save Reply
4. Re: help

also dont worry to much about the shootings its always best to be vigalant but we where there when the rioting was going on and where very well looked after. any worrys speak to the hotel or anyone who works at the hotel x

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12,176 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help

misconfused.

I would take the review you read with a pinch of salt .

Yes there were demonstrations in Tunis at the US embassy last year. However 100 people were not killed. 2 protesters died .

I have been to Pek many times.

We were there during March 2011 (Riviera Hotel pek)

The very week travel restrictions from the UK were lifted.

I never felt threatened. In fact i felt very welcome.

Its very unlikely you will come across demos there (pek)

Its not a big residential area for locals .

If you do venture to main cities like Tunis, Hammamet or Sousse.

Just avoid any political rallies ,meetings etc.

If there is any particular excursion, activity you would like to experience.

Type say, "Quad biking" in search box above your post.

Here is a link to Thomsons excursion ,just to give you an idea of prices.

Of course you may get same cheaper with local operators.Ask at hotel.

thomsonexcursions.co.uk/search-excursions/TU…

Enjoy Tunisia

Regards

Mick

Edited: 5:03 am, January 16, 2013
London
Level Contributor
8,131 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help

Out of curiousity, missconfused, I just read that review about shootings. The reviewer said she heard four gun shots, which could have been anything. Also the part about 'few miles up the road over 100 people killed' - again that is nonsence as would hardly call Tunis only few miles up the road as its over a 2 hour drive. Also as mick stated it was two protesters who got killed not hundreds.

I wouldnt take to much notice of that review - also the reviewer stayed there September - why wait until now to post.

Save Reply
7. Re: help

Thanks guys for ur help its much appreciated! N I'll be goin in march too really lookin forward to speed boating wanted to do it for a while now! As for the shootings I feel at ease now just reading that scared me slightly at the start but after reading comments I feel alot better!!

Save Reply
8. Re: help

Final question is.. Is it a strict country.. My bf is a little worried that its strict n as we are asian we would get alot of abuse etc if we held hands etc.. Im not sure if I agree with him though so any advice will be helpful! Ps sorry I know these questions r pretty daft but just want to be on the safe side! Lol

9. Re: help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:16 am, January 16, 2013
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12,176 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: help

Of course it will be ok to hold hands :)

Unless both of you are male.That will get attention

Just dont walk down main street, pek in a bikini:)

No, they are not daft questions.

Here is some advice i copied from a post from Cas.

one of our experts on Tunisia here (cos am lazy:))

<< I would advise against cleavage showing low cut tops, tight hot pants or too short mini skirts.

Especially in residential area and around or near buildings of religious significance.

Shoulder and arm lenths top are fine. Knee length short/shorts.

Swim wear is very much confined to the hotel pools and the beach. No where else.>>>

Enjoy Tunisia

Mick

Get answers to your questions about Port El Kantaoui
Recent Conversations