We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money

west midlands
Level Contributor
329 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
money

Hi all,

I apologise if others have asked this question but I am going on holiday soon and would like to know what is the best way to change money over there, first we were told about a cash card where we could put money on before we go then withdraw over there, then today we were told to take the cash us would be best, I’m a little confused, also what is value for money we are staying at the dar khayam . and where can i change money if i take sterling with me

many hanks

Carron

Level Contributor
4,795 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: money

You can change your British pounds at exchange booths at the airport or use ATM with your bank card.

Dont forget to inform your bank if you are going to be using your bank card in Tunisia, just so they know and dont put a block on it etc.

Most of us wait to we get to our hotels to change money, all hotels have an exchange desk for currency, its set everyday and is the same wherever you change it in Tunisia, not worth shopping around for best deal.

Change little amounts at a time, around £25 we change at first, you get a lot of Dinar for your pounds,£25 is nearly 68 dinars at the mo.

2.72 dinars to the pound.

You can always change more as and when.

Keep any reciepts, you will need to show them if changing dinar back into pounds.

Exchange rate at airport for doing so is awful so thats why its best not to have big amounts left over at the end of your stay.

Julie

Mentioned in this post
Tunisia
Tunisia
Africa
Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: money

Hi with regards to money. First time to Tunisia.i plan on being generous and tipping the staff at the hotel as this seems to be the done thing and apparently is much appreciated.when and how much should I tip at a time please?thanks :)

Mentioned in this post
Tunisia
Tunisia
Africa
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12,975 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: money

Some "tips" here ;-)

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297943-i9229-k5…

Edited: 4:46 pm, May 09, 2014
Sousse, Tunisia
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: money

You can change pounds to dinars at the airport at hotel or at any bank withe almost identical rates. The only risk of taking cash is that can be STOLEN from your room which happens unfortunately quite often. Use deposit box or bring a suitcase with you that can be securely locked and keep money inside while in the hotel room. Do not change/withdraw to much money as dinars to pounds you can change back ONLY at he the airport, with quite bad rates and with limitation (no more than 60 pounds per person) fortunately this amount limitation is NOT usually respected

west midlands
Level Contributor
329 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: money

Thanks for your replies, and tips

Carron

6. Re: money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 12, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Hammamet