We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phenicia rooms

Which Hammamet hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Worthing
4 posts
Save Topic
Phenicia rooms

After reading reviews on here about the Phenicia am wondering wether it is worth asking for a refurbished room (if available) or not? After emailing hotel was told they would try to accommodate my request but also it's 15 dinar pp per night...is it worth this as think that's about £80! We don't spend loads of time in our room but still would like a clean & pleasant room.

Also looked at the primeclass lounge...is it worth it? Got a good price for our holiday but don't want to go spending money on top of that for no reason.

Huddersfield, West...
Level Contributor
173 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phenicia rooms

Hi,

I am off to Phenicia in 10 more sleeps and have read every review on here and have based my expectations on what I have read.

It is well documented on here that the rooms that have yet to be refurbished are dated however, the vast majority of people say they are clean, which is one of the more important aspects for me. Many have said that there is a shortage of pillows/pillows are hard, but countered that with the fact that you only have to mention this to the housekeeping people (as well as any other problem with the room) and they will rectify the problem for you. In addition, if you want to take tea/coffe with you, they will happily provide you with a kettle for your room and will also provide an iron for you to use if you need one - that will do me!!

I only intend to actually be in the room for sleeping and showering/changing for dinner and if I am waiting for my son or up too early, I will be sat on the balcony - for this reason I chose to pay the extra for a sea view rather than an upgraded room. I discussed this at some length with my 12 year old and his preference was a decent view - in fact he said why pay extra for just a picture of the sea, when you can actually look at the sea! I am therefore hoping that the sea view I paid more than £100 for is a good one!

You don't say when you are going but I will post an honest review on here when I return on 2 October - if I can get wi-fi, I will post while I'm there.

Personally, if I have any problems at all, I'm happy to give the hotel a chance to resolve them. When I get really good customer service and issues are resolved, I usually end up more satisfied than I would have been if there wasn't a problem in the first place - does that make sense? Customer Service at this hotel appears to be very good. I'm sure it will all be fine as long as people keep their expectations realistic.

When are you going?

Dollyx

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phenicia rooms

Excellent posting dollycakes.

A few words about rooms with a sea view in many Tunisian hotels. I don't know your hotel at all, but I imagine that to get a good view of the sea then the room/balconies will need to be East or South East facing. If that's the case then they'll be in the shade pretty much all day. Fine if all you want is the view, but not so for sunbathing or if it's chilly.

Huddersfield, West...
Level Contributor
173 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phenicia rooms

Sorry - forgot the lounge bit......!

I fully intened to use the lounge but I have a friend thats been and she said, that although its very nice, its nice to not have to queue and you can have a nice panini and a drink, its really quite small considering the numbers that use it and she felt that it was very cramped and her party could not get seats together. She said paid over £100 for her party of three and said she would not use it again as it was a victim of its own popularity.

I have changed my view now about pre-booking it and will decide when I get there, having had the benefit of going through the airport on the way in. Not been to Tunisia for over 25 years so this is almost like a first time for me.

Dollyx

Huddersfield, West...
Level Contributor
173 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phenicia rooms

Thanks LL,

I tend not to use the balcony for sunbathing - in fact the opposite - I use it when waiting for son (often!), but mostly when I'm up too early and I'll go out for an hour or two and have a coffee and a read (waiting for son to wake up!), or if I want to get out of the sun as I've had too much! I love the sunshine and wish I could stay in it all the time but I'm very fair skinned so sometimes it sneaks up and gets me!

Sunbathing is usualy done in a horizontal position with a big glass of something in the right hand and my kindle in the left!!

Dollyx

Cottingham, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phenicia rooms

Why should you have to pay more for a nice room all the rooms should be the same it looks ok in photos when they are trying to sell there holidays they put all the good ones in the book when you get there they don't look anything like the photos it's all extra this and that tip this person for better service pay to sit together on the plane where do you stop ?

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phenicia rooms

It's called 5 P's.

Perfect Planning Prevents Poor Performance. There's also another P that can be fit in between Prevents and Poor!

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phenicia rooms

Hi all

We first stayed at the Phenicia in 1973 (40 years ago), in those days Tunisia was a brand new holiday destination and we were just a very young courting couple. We rediscovered this hotel in June 2011 and were so impressed with our stay that we returned again in September of that year. Since then, like so many other return visitors, we've holidayed there twice a year. We were there 12th June - 23rd June this year and will be returning 22nd Sept until 2nd Oct 2013 (just under 2 weeks time).

We've stayed in both the refurbished rooms and the standard, the refurbished rooms have a much brighter décor and a few service improvements, but both are more than adequate and certainly always clean.

Just go there with an open mind, the food, service, staff and surroundings are second to none, and I'm sure you'll have an amazing holiday.

Barrie & Chris W

Aberdeen, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Phenicia rooms

We're off there in just under two weeks. Have been very worried re bad reviews, fly infestions, etc etc. I try not to let them bother me, but I can't help worrying! Now however, have decided to ignore the really bad ones, take comfort in the lots of good reviews and embrace the holiday. As long as it is clean, kids happy and there is sun (not sure about this one though!). Also, if there was a problem, I am sure the hotel/holiday rep would do their best to help. Happy holidays!!

9. Re: Phenicia rooms

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 02, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Hammamet