We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tunisian Currency

Which Hammamet hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lochgelly, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Tunisian Currency

I have been given some spare Tunisian money from a friend who just returned from Tunisia. Was going to use this for tips for the coach driver, etc before changing Sterling at our hotel. I've heard that there's a possibility that if coins are picked up by customs, going through scanners, then they'll confiscate them. Would it be better to just put coins in a suitcase?

thornaby on tees
Destination Expert
for Port El Kantaoui
Level Contributor
2,786 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tunisian Currency

if you are a bit unsure mix your coins with your sterling,

you wont have a problem taking them back in, the regulars always return with small change, we just put them in our hand luggage,

alan

Edited: 1:35 pm, July 30, 2013
Level Contributor
4,793 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tunisian Currency

Im sure you will be fine , just keep them in your hand luggage, after all, your friend managed to go thru security in Tunisia with them. Ive gone back to UK with them and gone back over wirh them, same with Dirhams in Morocco, i got about a tenners worth here now. Lol

Julie

Lochgelly, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tunisian Currency

Alan, Julie, Thanks for the feedback. Will be our first time in Tunisia and we're looking forward to it.

Level Contributor
4,793 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tunisian Currency

Awwww, enjoy it. I cant wait to go back in December!! Last visit was April. Love it.

Julie

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Agadir
Level Contributor
2,188 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tunisian Currency

On my many occasions that i visited Morocco, I have never bothered to read the back of the card I need to present with my passport at arrival/departure until last visit few days ago.

On the back of the card there rae some very userful information about bringing /taking the local currency to and out the country. I presume the same would apply to Tunisia as the cards look very much similar in both countries.

Cheers

Cas

fareham,hants
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tunisian Currency

At the enfidha airport we were told that we could take back coins no more than 10 dinar in total each.

7. Re: Tunisian Currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 02, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Hammamet