We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending money

Chorley, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Spending money

Were coming to tunisia at the end of april/may staying at carribean world beach resort its all inclusive but our last all inclusive hoilday we had to eat out alot because the food was awful,

We would like to take a few trips like swimming with dolphins, quad biking, horse riding on the beach nd im intreasted in massages..

Could anybody recomend how much money we should take??

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
804 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending money

You dont say how long your staying. I usually take £500pp whether it be one or two weeks. Like you iv had hols were iv had to eat out alot so i like to be prepared... And what i dont spend i bring home.

I should state, iv never actually spent £500 but i like to be comfortable and not have to worry.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,937 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending money

Thats what we take with us for buses taxis etc

we have done all the trips over the years.

we like to travel into sousse and have a nice meal in the local resturants

We also dont buy much stuff unless its different, hand made etc

pek is worth going to ,we like to sit back and people watch whilst having a cold beer or coffee

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Agadir
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spending money

Georgina,

If you are shrewd and careful enough then £500 for spending money in Tunisia is pretty much on the high. You should come back home with a some change.. However, having said that, some people have been naive enough to get ripped off if they loose their guards and fall for scam merchants. Here are some info which may help you budget your spending money.

LOCAL CURRENCY

The first important thing you would need is to familiarise yourself with the local currency the Tunisian Dinar (TD). It is a closed currency which means it is only available inside the country. It also means that the exchange rate is determined by the Tunisian Treasury and not influenced by international monetary fluctuation.

What this means to you is that you take your sterling and change them inside Tunisia. Nowhere else. Keep the receipt every time you change the sterling. So on the way back home you can change any leftover TDs back to sterling at the airport.

The current exchange rate is £1 = about 2 TD. This rate should be the same anywhere you change money.

TD notes come in 30 dinars, 20 dinars, 10 dinars & 5 dinars.

Coins are 5 dinar, 1 dinar, 1/2 dinars, and other small coins (I think they are Mills)

The second important thing is to look after your money. Everything is negotiable in Tunisia. Good hagglers get bargains, bad hagglers get ripped off.

ACTIVITIES

Pirate Ship: A trip on a pirate ship would cost 45TD. For this you get 4 hours of sailing with free soft drink & pasta salad, and some entertainment aboard the ship

Friguira Park zoo: This is another attraction to see the other exotic part of Africa. The wild life of Africa in form of big cats.

Entrance fees to the Park: Adult: 7TD (Child: 4TD).

There are activities within the park that would come at an extra charge, like swimming with the dolphins or attending the Zulu night time party with all that music, dancing and feasting African style,

A taxi to the park would cost no more 30TD. Alternatively you can go by train from Bir Bourerba train station just outside Hammamet town centre

Swimming with dolphins would cost around 75 Dinars (£35 - 40) for 1 hour for one person depending on the demand. It is highly recommendable that you book few days in advance, There only 3 or 4 swimming sessions per day, and they tend to get booked quickly, especially during high season.

Horse riding along the beach is very much negotiable with the horse owner, As a guide 20TD for 30 minutes session should more than enough.

MASSAGES/SPA

These are on offer within hotels. Again, the cost depends on what sort of treatment you would be seeking. 10 Dinars an hour in a steam (Hammam) room to 50TD for full body massage or.

EATING OUT:

20TD for a three course meal in a is the max you would expect to pay

ALCOHOL:

This is very expensive in Tunisia. The bigger and more famous the brands are the more expensive they will be. A Double Johnnie Walker whisky would set 20TD in some places. A pint of Carlsberg is around 10 – 15TD. Local beers and wines are far cheaper.

TIPPING:

Tunisians are poorer by our standards and if you ask for any favours of them, then expect to tip them. Every single member of staff at hotels, bars and restaurants would be looking for tips. This can be very annoying to a certain point, because they would make you feel like obliged to tip them when in fact tipping in never been compulsory. But one you should remember. Good tippers get looked after and bad or non tippers would be disadvantaged. If you feel you had to tip, then few loose dinars (2 or 3 dinars) will be enough. Always tip in loose coins.

TAXI

As a guide, a single taxi ride from Yasmine Hammamet to Old town is 5TD. This journey is less than 5 minutes. However, do insist on the driver display the meter, and also always pay in loose coins when you can.

SHOPPING

Nightmare if you are not a good haggler. This is where most people spend much more than they need to. But there are fix price shops if you are not into haggling.

FINAL ADVICE:

•Beware of fake designer goods

•Do not entertain street vendors / hawkers

•While out in town or the beach do not trust someone who would approach you and pretend to know from your hotel and offers to be your guide

Have a great time

Cas

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spending money

Hi Cas

the notes of 30 dinar are not valid any more.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
804 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spending money

Yes £500 is alot but id rather take too much than too little, thats just the kind of person i am. Plus you never know what may happen.

Iv never spent 500 and even after a 2 week stay id have 150-200 left. I dont do many trips but i do go out every night so drinks and taxis. Plus i do buy quite a bit, bags, shoes etc.

Its also nice to come home with money. I also get a flight from uk airport to northern ireland so i prob do need a little money than some.

Just bring what u can afford.

Chorley, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spending money

Thanks alot this info is very helpfull we was thinking of taking about 1000 for 2 weeks, when we went to egypt we were in the middle of no were and i think we did get ripped of on alot of things it was our first hoilday nd we wanted to splash out but we know this year to haggle everything!!

Thanks for advice i cant wait to go now

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,937 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spending money

first time to sahara beach,we only spent 50 ponds and that was trips tp pek included.

by taxi

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
215 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spending money

georgina - what part of egypt did you got to, and where did you stay?

Chorley, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spending money

we went to hurgardha and stayed in the amwaji blue beach resort if you look on my profile you will see, it was a really good hotel the food let us down and its a bad location but all in all it was a good hoilday looking back at it.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
215 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spending money

ah, we stayed at sol y mar sea star in taba, last september. hurghurda is on our to visit list - my kids so want to go to aqua jungle park!!! taba was very isolated, but that made us love it more!