We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tunisia as a family

Which Hammamet hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
north wales
Level Contributor
97 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tunisia as a family

Hello and Happy New Year

Probably a daft question... I have never considered Tunisia for a holiday before, but the hotels and beaches look lovely. We are a family of three - son 14, and was just wondering if it is quite similar to Turkey? We went to Turkey - Side last year and although it was gorgeous and hotel was fab, and people lovely, didn't really like the haggling and not being able to just have a walk around without hassle. I know I should have just got on with it, but I felt really uncomfy and didn't feel I could just potter around when the boys did their stuff.

Any Opinions grealty received - oh, my son and I are Vegetarians - so whats our chances of getting suitable food - no fish either xx

Thanks

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,164 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Tunisia as a family

We havent been to Side since 2006 but it was quite bad then and I found it the worst resort along with Olu Deniz for hassle out of all those I had been to.

I suppose along with other towns they have banned the hassle which is now virtually non existent.

I was trying to convince the OP he would be fine in Tunisia.

Edited: 6:52 am, January 02, 2013
Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Tunisia as a family

I think that the problem with hassle isn't so much the fact that it goes on. It's more to do with people who suddenly come face-to-face with it, and are stopped in their tracks, gob-smacked by it all.

These days, more than ever, it's important to do a few hours homework before embarking on a trip to a strange country who's culture is totally alien to the one we know.

north wales
Level Contributor
97 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Tunisia as a family

We went to Side last year after doing a bit of homework and reading that Side's Mayor had imposed a town law forbidding sellers to hassle passers by. For that reason we chose Side, unfortunatly we did not find this the case and after chatting to staff at our hotel, shop keepers etc would only abide by this when they could see officials around. We expected hassle but didn't quite realiise to what extent. So possibly Tunisia isn't for us, but thank you all for your replies, they have been very informative.

14. Re: Tunisia as a family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, January 06, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Hammamet