We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Returned from Riu Palace Oceana-Any Questions

Which Hammamet hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Great Yeldham...
Level Contributor
566 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Just Returned from Riu Palace Oceana-Any Questions

Will be pl;eased to answer any queries candidly

East Anglia
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Returned from Riu Palace Oceana-Any Questions

Was it your first time to Tunisia ? If so would you return ?

Great Yeldham...
Level Contributor
566 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Returned from Riu Palace Oceana-Any Questions

Yes it was our first trip to Tunisia and unfortunately we would definately not return

Judging by your posts and comments you must really like it but we found the place to be dirty,unhygenic and very lacking. Harsh but fair

Edited: 10:09 am, September 26, 2012
East Anglia
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Returned from Riu Palace Oceana-Any Questions

I did read your review on the hotel that's why I thought i'd ask .

I have only been once but returning next month . I wont deny I see bins that needed emptying and sometimes rubbish scattered but seen worse or the same in certain run down places in the UK I guess :/

Did you do any trips or anything ? Did you eat out in any nice restaurants ?

Great Yeldham...
Level Contributor
566 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Returned from Riu Palace Oceana-Any Questions

As you already read my review I'm surprised that you asked the question of would I return as I already stated I wouldnt

Regarding the similarities to run down areas of UK I wouldnt be spending over £3k to go on holiday there

No to al your questionsl. We are not sit on a coach for hours people and because of the problems that were occuring in Tunis with US diplomats being killed and injured we as westerners were advised locally to keep travel outside the hotel to a minimum.

We went to the Medinas at Yasmine and Hammamet and found these to be tacky fake shops run by tacky Tunisians treating the tourist as if they have just come up on the last banana boat.

We had no need or wish to eat outside of the hotel

We really wanted Tunisia to be a really nice place with only a 3 hour flight to the sun, but its not for us- What a shame. We were very dissappointed

Edited: 10:48 am, September 26, 2012
East Anglia
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Returned from Riu Palace Oceana-Any Questions

<<Would we go back or recommend Oceana Palace ? –NO- and if this is a portrayal of Tunisian 5* hotels not just to this hotel but to Tunisia in general. >>

By reading that I thought you ment just by the portrayal of that hotel , It seems a popular hotel so maybe you were just unlucky or expectations to high but saying that you spent £3k on that holiday which is no way what I would pay for Tunisia . :/

And who told you to keep travel outside the hotel to the minimum ?

London
Level Contributor
8,158 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Returned from Riu Palace Oceana-Any Questions

because of the problems that were occuring in Tunis with US diplomats being killed and injured <<<<<

I am quite prepared to accept there are many things wrong with Tunisia jwt but to my knowledge it was two protesters killed and no US diplomats killed or injured in Tunis. I was also in Hammamet the same time and there was no advice whatsoever from locals not to venture out of hotels. Going to a country and not wishing to try restaurants away from the hotels seems rather strange.

I think all criticism should be kept factual and within reasonable context.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
133 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Returned from Riu Palace Oceana-Any Questions

Could not agree more - well said

London UK
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just Returned from Riu Palace Oceana-Any Questions

Have to say that in all my travels over 40 years Tunisia scores pretty high when it comes to being hygienic and clean.- I suppose it depends where you stay and go.

I stayed at Riu Marco Polo, Riu Marhaba Palace and HV Manar all I would say of a very good standard for it's Hotel range. Neither of us had any Tummy problems and everywhere was pretty spotless.

I suppose it depends on what you are comparing it with but I've been to places where even Roads are a luxury! If you think Tunisia is dirty then you would not have much to say about another 2 thirds of the World where poverty is rife and there really is alot of problems like India and most of the rest of Aftrica.

I have to say that I probably wouldn't choose the Oceana though as it does not represent good value to me but I would go back to all 3 of the other ones I have been too and so would my Wife and I'd say our standards are pretty high.

btw. We were at the Hilton Hyde Park on Monday and thought that was a dump to be honest!

snooks

Edited: 9:52 am, September 27, 2012
East Anglia
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just Returned from Riu Palace Oceana-Any Questions

3k is alot of money to pay for Tunisia well I think so , Last trip paid just under £500 for 2 for the week in a lovely hotel no problems - 3k I would rather go further a field maybe the Maldives Lol !

London
Level Contributor
8,158 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just Returned from Riu Palace Oceana-Any Questions

Round the world trip for me stevie at that price lol. Not having a go at you jwt but how many people did that consist of for 3k - must have been pretty big group.

Get answers to your questions about Hammamet