We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food poisoning - help and advice required please.

Blackpool, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
Food poisoning - help and advice required please.

We shall be staying at the hotel Marillia later this month and the reviews (all in French for this summer) continually mention cases of food poisoning, poor hygiene and lack of cleanliness. The biggest complaint appears to be the food. Apparently the hotel is closing at the end of next month for renovation. It has been sold to the Riu hotel group and appears in the Thomson brochure for next season. Does anyone know this hotel or has been recently? There is no English rep at the hotel this year as it is currently owned by a French hotel chain.My French is mediocre at best and becomes non-existent if I am ill! Rather than looking forward to our holiday, we are now dreading it. Can anyone reassure us? Is there anywhere good to eat close by? Thanks.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
804 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food poisoning - help and advice required please.

Tunisia in general does not have the same hygiene standards as uk and europe. Just be careful to drink only bottled water (even be careful with breakfast fruit juice as this can be mixed with tap water), avoid salads as usually washed in tap water...even if they say it wasnt, be careful with cooked chicken that it is cooked right through or avoid completely, there has been a problem with watermelons lately so best avoid those aswell. Me and my friend were in tunisia in june, my friends had breakfast juice, salads and cooked chicken all the first day....then got very sick. I lived on pizza, chips, fizzy drinks (and alcohol) and was fine. Bear in mind your not in a restaurant down the road....your in africa.

Our upsets didnt put us off we are going back in 2 days...to the same hotel and everything.

Wirral
Level Contributor
961 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food poisoning - help and advice required please.

Id use anti-bac hand gel after swimming and before eating and drinking too :)

Blackpool, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Food poisoning - help and advice required please.

Thank you for all the help and advice. We always use hand gels to clean our hands when eating out anywhere even here in the UK. It is apparently so bad at the Marillia, even someone who only ate pasta and tomato sauce became really ill and a child was so ill he had to be repatriated. I think one of the nearest hotels to the Marillia is the Iberostar Belisaire. Does anyone know if they have maybe an English rep there on site and how helpful they are? Also some reviewers have mentioned having to eat out at the Cafe Relax. Does anyone know exactly where it is and what the food is like there? There are also reports of people swimming fully clothed in the hotel pool. Does this happen a lot in other hotels? We have been to Djerba and Port El Kantaoui and have had no problems. Thanks again for all the help.

Wirral
Level Contributor
961 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food poisoning - help and advice required please.

Hi,

There was nobody swimming fully clothed in Rui Marco in Yasmine Hammamet in August.The only people Ive seen swimming with clothes on were muslim women in berkini's in Egypt or drunks in Spain! Maybe someone else can help.If your really bothered about the food poisoning you could change hotels or this isnt possible can get probotics designed to take before travelling. I don't know the name of them but if you google it you may find them :)

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,692 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food poisoning - help and advice required please.

We went very often to Tunisia and have never been ill of the food. We also never use them gels and wash our vegetables or fruit with tap water... Often sickness is caused by drinking to much very cold water or soft drinks. Best is to have your drinks only light cooled or on room temperature.

If you are not used to olive oil at home it is also possible your stomac or belly reacts on the oil.

In Belgium we can only go swimming with tight speedos or swimming suits. In Tunisia the restrictions are not that strict. I have seen young lads (but also tourists !) that swim in what I call a loose short that has pockets and is wide along their legs. That would be forbidden here. I never saw a full dressed woman in a pool,I saw once women in a burkini, which was to me less a problem than the young drunk English lads in their same shorts every day all day long...

East Anglia
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food poisoning - help and advice required please.

To much alcohol is probably another factor for some people especially when it's free and people get carried away Lol drinking in the heat especially how hot is has been lately so guess it is important to keep dehydrated :)

Wirral
Level Contributor
961 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food poisoning - help and advice required please.

Hi, Yes agree with you all on the local water and keeping hydrated however on this occasion my sister was so ill 10 days + she got tested when she got home and results said it was a food poisoning that could be passed on.Enviromental health contacted her.It was probably just a case of being unlucky in our hotel as we didnt eat anywhere else.However there were a quite a few people with it. Shame as the hotel was lovely but it ruinned the holiday for her :)

Stowmarket, United...
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food poisoning - help and advice required please.

When it comes to tummies, and further down, everyone is different, people have different tolerence levels to food typed and bacteria. therefore an upset tummy is not food poisoning it is your body adjusting and dealing with unknown things. Projectile vomiting and uncontrollable sqiits is anothet thing.

I have known family members from yorkshire coming down to stay with me in the very distance and exotic east anglian, and suffering bad constipation due to difference in water!

However, we did stay in a bad hotel this year in hammamet, food was like slop.

Dublin
Level Contributor
105 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food poisoning - help and advice required please.

"When it comes to tummies, and further down, everyone is different, people have different tolerence levels to food typed and bacteria. therefore an upset tummy is not food poisoning it is your body adjusting and dealing with unknown things. Projectile vomiting and uncontrollable sqiits is anothet thing"

+1 to this.

and also the advice about very cold drinks. This also upsets the tummy. As does dehydration and lack of salt, so make sure you drink water regularly and keep your salt intake up to keep your electrolytes balanced.

10. Re: Food poisoning - help and advice required please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 04, 2013