We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sudden drop in TA ratings - should I be worried

Dublin
Level Contributor
105 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Sudden drop in TA ratings - should I be worried

Hi all,

you will know from previous posts that I was trying to decide what hotel to go for between Diar Lemdina and Les Orangers and even a few others.

I had decided to go with Diar Lemdina, because TA ratings for it and Les O were very similar and the rooms in Diar Lem seem to be a bit bigger and more facilities. There was also a bit of a saving.

However, now I notice that it has recently (as in during the last week) slipped from number 5 to number 20! I am hoping that this is because many of the top 20 hotels are so closely matched score wise that even one average review can cause this. The drop in ratings seems to be due to a small number of 3 out of 5 ratings.

But it does give me worry - some of the other hotels have stayed at the top 5, and obviously a few others have stormed ahead in the last week.

It does make me wonder if the reliability of the TA rankings should be taken with a pinch of salt???

So, here I am, again faced with the dilemma I thought I had closed! Diar Lemdina or somewhere else??? This week is my last chance to change my hotel booking, as I will be making the final payment to the travel agent this week. So its now or never!

We want a really good AI, nice pool and beach area with plenty of sun loungers in good quality and shade if needed. A nice room with a few extra touches - this is kind of a second honeymoon for us, so we want it to feel really special and a bit luxurious. I wouldn't mind the option of some keep fit activities such as aqua aerobics or yoga or pilates, but not keen on any major activity (definitely not looking for a modern 'Butlins'! lol). Good food and close to amenities outside the hotel also.

We opted for Diar due to the room quality and food gets good reviews. Would like a couples or adults only hotel, but they seem much more expensive than the others. (The extra restaurants in the Les O did appeal, but then I heard that there are only 3 options each night, and being veggie I doubt we could make much use of it.)

So, in my last chance saloon, can anyone help?

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12,254 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sudden drop in TA ratings - should I be worried

<<It does make me wonder if the reliability of the TA rankings should be taken with a pinch of salt???>

Maybe :)

Both hotels are "rated" highly by regulars to the forum,who have visited.

I have not been to any of the two. But would not hesitate in doing so.

Enjoy Tunisia

Slainte

Mick

Edited: 6:09 am, August 07, 2012
Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sudden drop in TA ratings - should I be worried

Worth a read...

telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelviews/9181044/Y…

There are similar links.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sudden drop in TA ratings - should I be worried

I think there should be website for hoteliers to be able to post reviews about their customers.

That would be interesting!

East Anglia
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sudden drop in TA ratings - should I be worried

It has Pinky just looked myself I was booked to stay there but have now cancelled but nothing to do with the hotel it's because I have decided to change resort and spend 5days in Sousse !

I would not be too concerned though , Have you looked to see if there on any negative reviews from other countries ? I do that sometimes , Also maybe it's because possibly some of the other hotels have been more busy as it's school holidays ?? Just a guess !

thornaby on tees
Destination Expert
for Port El Kantaoui
Level Contributor
2,870 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sudden drop in TA ratings - should I be worried

at the bottom of the hotel review pages the owners can input or reply to customers who have stayed there or reviewed the hotel,

on the Egypt, Luxor forum restaurant and hotel owners often reply to customers after they have reviewed the food, premises and service,

its nice that they do and i am sure there is facilities for them to answer on all review sites, most hotel managers dont and its a shame they do not give feed back,

alan

East Anglia
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sudden drop in TA ratings - should I be worried

Yeah I have seen that when I stayed at the Iberostar they reply to reviews and again when I stayed in Turkey .

I don't think Pinky should not worry really as I looked earlier and even looked at the foreign reviews using the translator and there are no bad reviews and there have not been loads of reviews lately , I think it's a case of people maybe just visiting/leaving lots of reviews on other hotels which are pushing them higher up :)

Edited: 12:29 pm, August 07, 2012
Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sudden drop in TA ratings - should I be worried

It often happens ''unhappy'' clients meet eachother during their holiday, complaning to eachother about the hotel, service or beach....

We heared it lots of times during our holidays in Sousse.

So if a few bad reviews with similar complaints appear short after eachother it are sometimes them people or different people of one group who each write a review with a different login...

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sudden drop in TA ratings - should I be worried

@Luxor again<<<...its nice that they do and i am sure there is facilities for them to answer on all review sites, most hotel managers dont and its a shame they do not give feed back.>>>

Even if hotels do comment on a lousy review, TA won't remove or edit the review.

TA simply see the hoteliers response as their way of being transparent, and that's that.

A challenge. Name me a hotel anywhere in the world, and I'll do a spurious review on it. I bet you it gets posted. I don't think that's fair, but the TA hotel review section is littered with anonymous rubbish.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12,254 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sudden drop in TA ratings - should I be worried

I have always said, I do not book a hotel based on reviews .

The points made regarding "duff" reviews is correct.

Even positive ones can be misleading.

I have been at hotels where staff were actually asking guests to post positive reviews on TA.

(Thalassa Hotel Sousse,is an example of this skullduggery

Read my review on this hotel

I would not return there, if it was "cheap as chips)

If i am going to any destination/hotel.

I prefer to get the the info from the" forum regulars" rather than the reviews.

Edited: 1:40 pm, August 07, 2012
thornaby on tees
Destination Expert
for Port El Kantaoui
Level Contributor
2,870 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sudden drop in TA ratings - should I be worried

agree with you lancaster lad,

like you mick i get the info from regulars and not the reviews as they only have to get one problem during their stay and then they will play on it, and if you pm them you get a different version

we have stayed in some poor hotels in Luxor but the service and staff have been outstanding,

we dont go away to stay in the hotel for the week, we just get on with it,

alan

Edited: 2:02 pm, August 07, 2012