We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

carribean world hammamet

Which Hammamet hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
carribean world hammamet

hi. im thinking of going to this hotel at end may 2012. i understand tunis is approx 1hour away and hammamet town centre is approx 4 miles. can anyone tell me if theres anything directly outside this hotel. for example....a bar or two. any shops ect...many thanx :O)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Agadir
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: carribean world hammamet

From Tunis to Hammamet is about 1 hour journey on the road.

There are a couple of bars and restaurants nearby the Carribean World which are nothing to write home about.

The nearest decent bar is the Shakespeare about 20 minutes walk or 3 dinars (£1.50) taxi ride.

Yasmine Hammamet is nearer to the hotel than Hammamet town itself. In any case you may need a taxi to get to either.

Cheers

Cas

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: carribean world hammamet

cheers cas, that was very helpful. regards, sandra

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Agadir
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: carribean world hammamet

Hi Sandra,

I don't know how you came across this hotel because there are hardly any Brits who go there

So be aware that the majority of guests are Eastern Europeans and French, so much so that staff struggle speaking English. (Then again it could be a blessing if you are looking for a sanctuary away from anything British!!!).

Enjoy whatever you do.

Cas

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: carribean world hammamet

hi cas. i dont mind mixing with other europeans. i like to get away from it ALL. i find the brits tend to moan quite alot. your input has been very helpful. if you have any other info on this hotel and surrounding areas, i would be very grateful. how did you find your total experiance. regards, sandra

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Agadir
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: carribean world hammamet

Sandra,

I am a solo travellers and my views on the hotel (or all other hotels I stayed in), the surrounding areas and Hammamet in general are according to my experinece. Other people, particulary with families may well have different views.

Perhaps if you tell me of your expectation, your interest & hobbies and what you want out of your holiday, then I would be happy to give more specific answers.

And also if it is your first time to Tunisia, then there are other tips you may find helpful.

Cheers

Cas

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: carribean world hammamet

hi cas. iv been to port el kantoui & sousse. i travel with family ages 5-67 yrs. also a young couple age 25 travel with us. i need plenty on site,,,ie. enough to keep a small child happy .........satisfactory adult entertainment. and also young couple need decent nightlife. we dont like to be stranded on site if we need to venture out. either local bars to visit and relax... or town centre for shopping and nightlife. we like to mix with locals and europeans. little bit of culture. varied trips at hand. the food doesnt have to be amazing as we always go all inclusive, but ediable would be nice. right on the beach and the pool slides also work well for us, as a mixed aged family, keeping ourselves amused on site is a bonus. we like to get the utmost out of our 2 week holiday, as this is a time to experiance what we can. we also like to have one week away at the end of the year but this is only to relax and do nothing. any help will be great. kind regards, sandra :O)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Agadir
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: carribean world hammamet

The hotel:

The hotel has seen better days. It could with a bit of refurbishment. Room are just liveable. Some are cleaner than others. As you will be in group, ensure that you are accommodate in adjoin rooms to be nearer. The corridors are poorly lit, if not dark, and sometime there is an unpleasant smell along these corridors, but it doesn’t linger on. Don't be shy to ask rooms if you are not happy with you are given.

Breakfast consists mainly of eggs and pancake and some fruit squash. Cereal does not look that appealing. They always seem to quickly run out of any meaty breakfast like sausage. You need to get up early for that.

Lunch/Super are very much repetitive. Chicken, fish and pasta are the main dishes.

The staff are very friendly apart from two at the bar. They seem to make a bee line for any female guest, even she is with someone.

Your 5 years old would love the pools and water slides. The entertainment team are also great with kids. Your party may want take part in all day long variety of activities starting by Water aerobics first thing in the morning. Or just laze about on the sun lounger by the pool.

The weather during your holiday at end May would be very warm so the beach would be an another excellent playground for all members in your party. Your kid may also want to go on a short camel and horse ride along, but that should cost no more than 5 Dinar / About £2.50. If you wish to take this service, you must tell the guys with the camel/horse that’s all what you are preparing to pay before your child gets on the back of the animal. I ‘ve seen some of these guys approaching kids, lift them and put them on the back of the animals without telling parents how much that would cost them. Once I saw a guy asking for 20 Dinars for taking a young kid on camel ride for no more than 50 yards which the parent refused to pay as it very excessive. The guy turned angry and started shouting until they gave him 10 Dinars (which still excessive), then he calmed down.

This is just one of tricks. As you have been to PEK and Sousse you must already be aware of the other tactics some people used to rip off the tourists.

Evening entertainment at the hotel is mainly for the Eastern European and the French whose presence at this hotel is very prominent. When this so called entertainment is over the disco on the other side of the hotel starts, and goes on til the early hours. The 25 years couple with you may feel at home in this. However, your 67 years companions may find it a bit noisy if they want a quite early night sleep.

Outside the hotel:

Both Yasmine Hammamet and Hammamet town are within short taxi rides. Yasmine, like Port El Kentaoui, is a manufactured town aimed at the tourists. It has a fake Medina and all the shops around are souvenirs shops. The place I would go for an evening stroll is the Marina. It has some nice restaurants and bars.

Hammamet town, like Sousse, is a traditional Tunisian town. It is always buzzing with hustle and bustle of the Tunisian daily life. The only touristique attraction, a part from the beach, is the Old Medina and the mud wall around the Kasbah. If you go inside the Kasbah you will find yourself walking in a maze of very narrow alleys full of small white house with blue doors and windows, with the odd cats laying by the doors steps. Again the place is full of souvenir shops.

Nebul is about 12 dinars taxi ride. It is a market town, when every Tuesday people from the surrounding areas descend on the town to sell their local products from spices, to rugs, jewelleries to just about everything.

I saw that you have already read my information about Fruigua Park (Swimming with the dolphins). The zoo would a lovely experience for your kid.

A cruise on one The Pirate Ships is about 40 Dinars (£20). It is a 4 hours cruise with soft drink and some light food and entertainment on board included in the price.

For your 25 olds companions, there are several nightclubs around Hammamet. Two of the most famous are Calypso and Havana. If you have no problem mingling with the young locals, then these nightclubs are mainly full of them. (Just be careful of the very few odd sleazy characters).

Tuesday and Fridays nights are drag queen shows in the Shakespeare pub. Not to be missed. They are hilarious. One added bonus for you is that children are allowed.

Finally some few more tips I hope you will find helpful:

As you are going in end of May, It would be very warm. So please take with you plenty of sun cream, insect repellent and only drink bottled water (no tap water).

Big name brand spirit like Vodka Smirnoff, Bells / Johnny Walker Whisky, Gordon Gin...ect, are extremely expensive in bars and nightclubs. I would recommend you buy some at airport duty free and have few shots in your room before going out.

Whenever you take a taxi insist that the driver displays the meter. Otherwise some would try to overcharge. Also always pay your fare in loose coins. Some drivers will pretend not having any change if you give bank notes.

Female members in your group should be aware of some of the local sleazy Casanovas. They are a not a treat, and nothing to fear about them. They are just a nuisance. Ignore them if they approach you.

Shopping in some souvenir shops can be a nightmare. Most of the vendors are aggressive and intimidating in getting you to part with your cash, even if you are not interested in buying. You need to be very firm, say no, walk away and keep walking. If interest in buying you need to haggle the price down until you are comfortable with you can afford to pay

Hope you will all have a wonderful time

Cheers

Cas

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: carribean world hammamet

brilliant cas. i will print off your ex response and share it with my group. i will also take it with me, for those extra tips. well done for brill review. stay safe, keep well, sandra :O)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Agadir
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: carribean world hammamet

You keep safe too Sandra, and please report back on your experience once you return back home.

Meantime if you think of anything alse you would like to know between now and May please get in touch. Otherwise, have a lovely time.

Cheers

Cas

Liverpool
Level Contributor
225 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: carribean world hammamet

I have stayed in this hotel 5 times now and I am looking to book again for June and September next year.

There is a night club within a 5 minute walk away that is open every night until 4am. It is called Latinos and is a mixture of locals and tourists. Good music, and you are able to sit in or outside (no children allowed). Shakespeare bar is always dead when I have been, and closes early, but makes great English food of a day if your bored of hotel food.

Yasmine hammamet has all sorts of bars and restaurants for you to go too, my favourite is the steak house by the elephants were the steaks really are to die for! Yasmine also has a small theme park Carthage land, shopping, coffee shops, markets etc. The old town is just as beautiful.

Yes the hotel is slightly dated, but the pools etc are amazing. There is no chance of being bored all day with the entertainment team doing activities for all ages all day.

I've met many friends while there, and like you prefer to be away from moaning Brits!!!

If you go with an open mind and are willing to join in this hotel is amazing. I can't wait to get back there!!

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Get answers to your questions about Hammamet