We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips to Tunis.

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
299 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips to Tunis.

Are there any from Hammamet if so does anyone know how long it takes. I've tried looking on Thomas Cook website but can't see anything.

Thanks

stroud
Level Contributor
655 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips to Tunis.

Kashmir,

Hello there are a few ways to get to Tunis from Hammamet,train,louage,or bus.

The train would seem the quickest and there is only 2 direct to Tunis from Hammamet,however the station at Bir bou Regba has 10/15 trains a day and only takes just under the hour.

The timetable for trains is on,

www.sncft.com.tn.

The louage takes an 1.30 and travels to Tunis Bab Alequa,the journey may be longer and depends when they fill the seats.

The buses are every 30 mins and take 1.30 mins and you head to Tunis Bab Alequa.

I hope this is of some help and gives you some options.

Good luck Toby.

Edited: 7:28 am, October 16, 2011
wigan
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips to Tunis.

Thomas cook do trips to Tunis and Sousse however since the troubles they have stopped them depending on when you go they may be back to normal.

I however when last there in March/April 2011 went into Sousse many times against Thomas Cook advice and experienced no trouble what so ever (i am however well travelled in Tunisia) it was rather pleasant with it being not as busy as usual.

I again travel Nov 2011 to Hammamet and expect to travel around as normal the public transport is excellent if you get organised and Taxi`s are also cheap by uk standards.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips to Tunis.

When you say taxis are cheap... Just how cheap? If there are 4 of us wanting to get from Hammamet to Tunis would a taxi be a viable way of travel?

stroud
Level Contributor
655 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips to Tunis.

KTM,

Hello my advice is catch the louage it will be cheaper than a Taxi,and you will not have to wait long before it departs and usually the louage takes about 7/8 passengers and this is a cheaper option for the Tunisians to travel between destinations.

I travel from Sousse to El jem an hours journey and the last time i travelled it was 4Dinars 500 millims and as i say a preffered cheap way to travel throughout the country.

When in the resort ask how much a journey would cost you to go to Tunis and i would expect probably around at least double the cost of a louage.

The louage station is in the Hammamet centre and nearby also there is the bus service to Tunis/Nabeul so a choice to consider but i more often use the louage.

I hope this gives you some ideas and i wish you all to enjoy Tunisia and its culture.

Good luck Toby.

5. Re: Day trips to Tunis.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:05 pm, October 17, 2011
wigan
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips to Tunis.

the louage as mentioned is a great option for cheap travel and then there are trains also available. I have befor now just got a taxi to train staion and simply hopped on the next train out see where i end up which is great if your not with the kids.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips to Tunis.

The next train out of Hammamet won't get you very far, either Bir Bou Regba or Nabeul!

The trains from Hammamet run on the branch line between Bir Bou Regba and Nabeul. They are regularly late, which if you want to connect to Tunis or the South you risk missing that connection.

Cut-out Hammamet train station altogether and take a yellow taxi from your hotel to Bir Bou Regba, and get a main line train from there. Don't bother with 1st Class as the chances are the carriage will already be full.

The louage is great, unless you are particular about whether some of your travelling companions have had a shower that morning. Don't expect comfort either. But it's good fun.

If you are taking the train to Tunis then as soon as you leave Tunis train station you'll be bombarded with taxi drivers, so it you are making your own way around make sure you have a map of the city centre. The station is a 5 minute walk from the main thoroughfare (Ave Habib Bourguiba). At one end of it is the Medina, and just a bit further from the other end (past the clock tower) is where you'll find the Metro Station to take you to Carthage and Sidi Bou Said. It's walkable

There are some remarkably inexpensive and good restaurants on Ave Habib Bourguiba (next to Cafe du Paris opposite the Cathedral).

Check out the security situation in Tunis before you go though.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trips to Tunis.

Which is the cheapest way for it, Bus, Train and car hire. <a href="http://www.carhireexcess.com/">Car Hire Excess</a> best way according to me but it is not cheapest. With a hire car you can go any where and stay as much as you want. You don't need to wait for bus, taxi and train at their stations.

Edited: 2:47 am, May 24, 2012
9. Re: Day trips to Tunis.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:42 am, June 21, 2013