We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hammamet? so scared

Which Hammamet hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ireland
2 posts
Save Topic
hammamet? so scared

i booked a holiday for my husband and myself in 3 weeks without thinking what i was getting onto, until i read up on hammamet on this site, it doesent sound like much of a holiday, drink,smokes, bring your own ....... dont leave the resort unless u are well covered up, im only married a year and thought it would be a nice anniversy present for him, i just want a relaxing holiday in the sun,

did i pick the wrong place?

as destination is on arrival 2*

is there much of a crime rate there?

Leicester
Level Contributor
327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: hammamet? so scared

Hammamet is fine for a holiday so dont worry too much. The Tunisian people are wonderfull and very little crime. We lost our bag on our first day with all money, passports and tickests. After a hour at the hotel of anguish a taxi driver came to the hotel to say he had found it and not a thing had been touched. However, 2 star acomodation in tunisia will be VERY basic. This is north africa and standards are not as high as european countries. As for covering up and things, all it mean is you dont wonder round in shorts - though knee length is fine for a guy and three quarter for a girl and if you are going into a religous building you will be expected to cover your shoulders. Though many places will actualy give ladies a shawl to use if they arrive without the right dress. As for drink and going out, there isnt much in the way of bars other than hotels unless you get a taxi to port el kantoui. There are loads of restraunts about and plenty to do and see

uk
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: hammamet? so scared

Hi June,

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. If it's a relaxing holiday you're after then that's what you'll get. Crime wasn't a problem - Tunisians are very proud people and such behaviour is rare.

I had some reservations when I first went there but these were soon put to bed - drinks were easy to get hold of, beach was excellent and there's plenty of other tourists walking about. It was similar to any other med resort to be honest - just more laid back. You'll be fine leaving your hotel to visit the resort centre - the only down-side is that the shop owners can be a bit keen for you to visit their stalls (best wear sunglasses and avoid eye contact!)

What hotel have you got?

Cheers

Neil

ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: hammamet? so scared

thanks stormy and neill for all your advice at least it has put my mind and my husbands mind at rest, it is really nice to hear the good side of tunisa as all i have been hearing is the bad,

what did yous think of the drink and the cigs?

because they have a closed currencey did u find it difficult to change money?

neill not sure of the hotel as it said destination on arrival 2*(sounds bad).

have to go back to work now but im really am very thankful for the information you both gave me,

ill be back on later if u think of anything else.

thanks again june

uk
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: hammamet? so scared

Hello again June,

I'm a non-smoker so I can't comment on the cigs! However, the local beer (Celta?) was excellent and there were loads of bars selling the usual spirits/mixers. Measures weren't bad either!

Allocation on arrival isn't such a bad thing - it keeps the cost down. Just remember to complain straight away if you're not happy with your room. I was allocated the wrong room on my first night but the owners quickly sorted it the next day. All staff are usually friendly and only too keen to help.

I changed money in the hotel easily enough (didn't change too much as I was on half-board). ATM's were available too so take your card as a back-up. Nationwide don't charge for oversee's cash withdrawls (well, they didn't a few months ago - might be worth looking into opening a Flex account before you go?)

These links might help..

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/

…virtualtourist.com/forum-4119-1-Travel-Tuni…

And feel free to ask anything else that comes to mind.

Cheers again

Neil

Ballymoney, United...
Level Contributor
861 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hammamet? so scared

Relax, Tunisia is wonderful - its just not europe so things are a little different :)

Do take your own duty free smokes. Get them on the plane as you can get 400 for around £25. "English" brands do tend to be fake in resort but the tunisian brands are cheap and ok.

As for taking your own booze, it all depends on how much drink is important to you. If you drink shorts and like a few, then yes buy a bottle to take in with you to have a drink on the balcony etc. The reason being is its very expensive in resort, whisky is around the £40 a bottle mark. Otherwaise you will get a good range of cocktails and branded drinks in your hotel. Theres also local wine available and of course the local beer which is very drinkable is readily available as well and is very cheap.

As for covering up when leaving your hotel grounds, well that doesnt mean head to toe :) Just dont be walking down the shops in a bikini :) Shorts and t-shirts are fine. Topless bathing is becoming more and more tolerated in hotels and private beaches although not the public beaches. Obviously if you are visiting religious sites you should dress accordingly and that includes hubby covering his knees. Men are also expectd to cover their knees in the dining room at night although shorts were acceptable in the morning. And going in Aug you will wont to keep your shoulders covered when walking around as it will be really really hot then (take loads of sun cream factor 20 at least)

As for crime - well its neglible. You will see police everywhere but they act as a deterrent rather then an indication of a high crime rate

2* AOA will be basic but should be clean with your rooms cleaned daily. The tunisians are very friendly and are always willing to help as best they can. For a relaxing holiday you have made a good choice

nbc
Dublin
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: hammamet? so scared

Hi, don't worry, I am an Irish woman married to a Tunisian man, we live in Dublin and we go to Tunisia every year to see his friends and family, Hammanet is our base and the place where I met my husband.

Tunisia is the most liberal and moderate of all the Muslim countries, as it was and is so influenced by the French. I have never found it difficult over there, although if your blond, watch out they love fair skinned and fair haired women and you will be chatted up. However, if you say your married they will leave you alone, they have great respect for English and Irish Men and I am sure your husband will find them ok. Also, I have never experienced any crime over there, there are police men at every junction on the street and their justice system is very rough for any locals caught committing crimes, so fear keeps them from doing anything wrong!

Hammanet centre is lovely and you will love the Medina, but you will have to barter and bargain, they want you to. Plus hammanet is one of the older resorts so a little you might like to visist Port El Kantaou up the road, it has a very posh marina, I recomend a visit to Sidi Bou Said in Tunis, a fab tiny town on a hill top with stunning views and lovely quaint houses. Also, the beer and wine is great value, Celtia is their own beer and 7% alcohol and they have their own vineyards and produce lovely wines, particularly the whites and rose.

Why don' you buy the travel book 'Rough Guide to Tunisia' and learn a few words of Arabic [and a little French as its a dual

language country].

Best of Luck. Niamh in Dublin/Ps am there myself on the 12th Aug.

nbc
Dublin
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: hammamet? so scared

June, Hi Niamh again....

Just to say also, the others are right about 2 star, it will be basic, but, very clean, the ladies who look after the rooms are nice and will do anything to help you. Also i have never met an unfriendly Tunisian, they are almost always lovely and go out of their way to help you. By the way its not like Turkey, you can flush your loo paper down the loo, the plumbing is good, courtesy of the French influence.

In Hammanet there are a number of great late night Bar/Discos, the Eurobar opent til 5am or later and the Strand Cafe again open till 3am, but, there are others. just ask around. the prices for food and drink in the Hotels is a bit higher than in the outside bar and restaurants, but either way prices are still better than in Ireland! So if your not half board go out. For a fab view of the Media and the stunning glittering blue sea go into the centre of Hammanet and have a pizza and a beer in the Brauhaus.

All the best Niamh

Get answers to your questions about Hammamet