We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

really worried

kent england
Level Contributor
215 posts
1 review
Save Topic
really worried

We are booked to go to Hammamet in september but have been reading so many adverse reports lately re dirty hotels awful food and prostitutes hanging around that we are really worried about going now. Can anyoneplease put our minds at rest.We are staying at Les Orangers Resort, has anyone been?

I would appreciate any replies

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Hammamet
Hammamet
Nabeul Governorate, Tunisia
UK
Level Contributor
495 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: really worried

well said ndnhrdy, if we all lived our lives worrying about what might or what could happen we would never go anywhere, talk to anyone, experience anything at anytime.

I stayed in Iraq a couple of years ago for two months and I'm here to tell the tale!!! I didn't go out every day thinking I might be kidnapped I just went out and about and met some lovely genuine people. Life is for living so go live it!!

Maastricht, The...
Level Contributor
201 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: really worried

There are indeed a lot of male- and female prostitutes in the tourist areas, especially in Sousse, not so in (old) Hammamet.

However a good hotel like the Phenicia, les Orangers etc. and around that area have strict doorpolicy.

In other hotels, mainly 3-star or less, it's easier for them to get into.

Have been going to Tunisia for the past ten years and have not seen dirty hotels and/or awful food.

People who complain that there's no bacon/baked beans/tomato sausages, english tea at breakfast should stay home though. Food is excellent and plenty of dishes to choose from. The food is Mediterranean style.

Mentioned in this post
Sousse
Sousse
Sousse Governorate, Tunisia
Hammamet
Hammamet
Nabeul Governorate, Tunisia
Tunisia
Tunisia
Africa
Wales
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: really worried

Hi joymay Myself, husband and 2 daughters have stayed at Les Orangers on 2 occasions May 07 and August 07 and on both occasions we had no problems with "working girls" or drug takers or pushers. We are returning again for 1 week in May and are looking forward to this. The 2 day desert trip we did last August and this was excellent, even the girls (15 & 18) enjoyed this. At no time did we feel in danger as we kept with our vehicle convoy and guides. Go to Tunisia and enjoy the people and country, the food is offered with plenty of choice - no need to go hungry. Hopefully the pool renovation wil be completed by the time of our trip, but if this is not so there is a lovely indoor pool to use. Remember "you can please some people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time". Orangers is excellent value for money and the animation team work really hard to provide entertainment for all every day - not fair to call them gigolos. There is also security on the gate and you have to show your wristbands to gain entry if you have been out into town. Enjoy - we will!!

Mentioned in this post
Tunisia
Tunisia
Africa
peterlee
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: really worried

joymay having been to orangers last year with partner and teenage daughter we have booked to go back for the 1st 2 weeks of june .we never saw any prostitutes or drug dealing .we had a brilliant time.roll on the 1st of june

15. Re: really worried

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 pm, September 23, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Hammamet
Recent Conversations