We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time abroad, help

Gillingham...
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
first time abroad, help

we have booked 1 week in djerba,17th july, at Riu palm azur hotel all inclusive, really looking forward to it, me hubby and 15yr old son, we had our jabs yesterday.

my 1st question is, is it just typhiod and hep a, we need?

my son had a routine jab at school last week, ditheria, tetnus ,polio,

do i need this to? i dont know when i last had a tetnus.

i have never been on a plane before, im looking forward to it, but not sure about all the rules ect at airports

do i put the sun cream in hand luggage or case?

is it safe to eat salad at the hotel?

the men are required to wear long trousers for diner, does this mean my son does too, hes 15?

djerba looks lovely as does the hotel, we have been told there is a lot of entertaiment in the hotel,we are going with Thomsons, so if anyone has been there, would love to hear from you.

thanks bev

Level Contributor
4,793 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time abroad, help

Hi Bev, welcome to the forums, Ive not been to Djerba or your hotel but i can help a little with some of your questions.

Suncreams to go in suitcases, wrap up well in plastic bags, lol, just incase of accidents, you dont want suncream on your undies, lol.

Its never a good thing to ask for medical advice on here, you will get conflicting answers, its always best to see your nurse at your local GP practice, they will tell you what you need, lots of people dont get their jabs but some do, lots of travel insurance providers now insist you do tho, best to be safe. Always make sure your tetanus is up to date tho, apart from that the jabs you had are the routine ones anyhow.

As for eating salad, me personally , yes i do, lots of it, lol, i must say tho, me and the man had a bout of tummy trouble in Morrocco nearly 3 yrs ago, we were advised by our pharmacist to take Boots bio travel capsules for when we go to Tunisia, came home on 1st May, well i got to say, they were great, maybe people may say mind over matter but im sorry they worked wonders, i have irritable bowel anyhow and those tabs were brilliant, my man is diabetic too, he felt great, they condition the gut for changes in food and climate etc, about £8 for one pack, we needed 3, buy two get one free in boots, take one a day a week before you travel then two a day while in Africa, then one a day when home for a week, seems a lot of money but im def getting them again, altho we tookone a day for two weeks before then 2 a day while in Tunisia for two weeks and that was it, didnt have anymore left after we got home, lol. We were fine with eating and drinking, even had ice in my drinks too sometimes.

Always pack a pair of long trousers for the men, it depends on each individual hotel, my man took two pairs of light chinos, they are fine with nice shirt, when you go for your first eve meal you can then relax and see what others are wearing. lots of men get away with long cargo shorts tho.

hope you have a great time bev, first time eh? awwww, you will be hooked, like i was, love flying, love it. Dont worry about a thing, plenty of help at airports to direct you, dont be afraid to ask at all. Nothing sharp to be taken in your hand luggage , as you may know. there is usually people on hand to help you thru security etc.

Hope ive helped a little, im sure you will have a great time, Djerba is on my places to visit list, its beautiful .

Lets us know how you get on and dont be afraid to ask us anything else. There is a top questions menu on here too , that may help.

love Julie x

Edited: 10:41 am, May 11, 2013
Djerba Island...
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: first time abroad, help

Hi Bev, I am a westerner and live on Djerba with my family. Djerba is a great choice for vacation. It is a great place to explore and a great place to take day trips from. There are many sites to see in the south of Tunisia. Salads are always interesting. That is where you might find some stomach issues. I recommend eating more yogurt as you will get some good bacteria in you stomach to help with the adjustment to new foods. For medical vaccinations you should get recommendations from your own health advisors. If you need any help on the island send me a shout. You should bring a pair of trousers for the men, but it shouldn't be a big deal. All the best. You will love the beach.

Gillingham...
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time abroad, help

Hi Julie,

thanks for your reply. im getting excited now, getting closer, we have our suitcases, and some new clothes lol, got a few more question for you lol

do you wear flight socks on the plane?

the shampoo and shower gel,deodrant,shaving foam ect, is it ok to put all these in the suitcase, people say put small ones in hand luggage, but whats the point, i wont need it on the journey. i realise the small ones can go in hand luggage .but you have to take it out at security.

does my hand bag count as my hand luggage?

thanks for your help

bev xx

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,630 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time abroad, help

I don't know what flight socks are, so never wear them I suppose.

I try to wear light easy shoes cause a plane can get cold or hot, and you want to be comfortable, so not high heels or so.

If you want to take soaps... you can take them in your suitcase. We buy them all here in Tunisia because it saves a lot on weight. I only take deodorant cause we are allergic and need biological stuff and you can not buy that here.

A normal sized handbag doesnt count as a piece of handlugage.

Mirfield, England
Level Contributor
494 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time abroad, help

We always wear flight socks for long flights, better safe than sorry

6. Re: first time abroad, help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, May 23, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Djerba Island
More Djerba Island Topics