We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping at hotel

Farnham, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
tipping at hotel

Can you tip the hotel staff with sterling? Are they happy to except it?

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: tipping at hotel

Hello mitzi, yes you can tip the hotel staff with sterling i have seen many tourists tip with one and two pound coins, but myself i always tip with dinars i think that way it is better and easier for the said staff than them have to try and find someone to exchange the sterling for them, thats just my own preferance. x

stroud
Level Contributor
655 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: tipping at hotel

Mitzi,

Hello it is far better if you tip in Dinar and it saves them asking visitors to change, i have been asked a few times to change and i do not mind as i know most of the staff,however sometimes you have to also explain that the Uk is non Euro so be careful they are also tipped in other currencies.

The staff will not be able to change notes very easy and they do not go into the local banks,it is difficult for them,so i you could please tip in Dinars is alot easier for them .

I am sure you will enjoy your trip and you will be made welcome by the people and enjoy there culture and customs.

Good luck Toby.

Edited: 7:33 am, September 16, 2011
Southampton, England
Level Contributor
3,817 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tipping at hotel

I advice against tipping in Stirling coins. As they can not easily change them.

London
Level Contributor
8,118 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tipping at hotel

Just to reiterate above it is difficult for locals to change sterling and I am always asked by locals to change their sterling for them. Also last year there was a rumour that fake sterling coins were in circulation by the locals. Whether there was any truth in this, I do not know but of course it made people even more wary of changing currency for locals.

Southampton, England
Level Contributor
3,817 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tipping at hotel

An estimated one in 36 £1 coins in circulation are counterfeit. That's a very big percentage.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tipping at hotel

Lol!

SKELMERSDALE
Level Contributor
721 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tipping at hotel

can I plzs ask. wot is the going daily rate for tipping? as in the room cleaner/ waiters/bar staff ect

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12,171 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tipping at hotel

Liver

Type "some tips on tipping" in the search box above.

You will get "tips" there !

Mick

PS

I do not think there is a daily rate though:)

warminster, england
Level Contributor
174 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tipping at hotel

We changed money in hotel and got 48 dinard for £20 - we tipped the bar staff 5 dinars per night and had good service.lol

10. Re: tipping at hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, July 09, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Djerba Island
More Djerba Island Topics