We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Djerba or Hammamet for young couples

Manchester, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Djerba or Hammamet for young couples

I am considering a holiday in early October, but cant decide on the resort of either Djerba or Hammamet.

Myself and my boyfriend are both in our early twenties and enjoy lively nightlife.

We would prefer a nightclub nearby, but I cant seem to find any info on nightlife for either resort.

Can anyone provide advice????

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Agadir
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Djerba or Hammamet for young couples

Kate J,

Hammamet has a livelier nightlife than Djerba.

Although there are some western holidaymakers in Djerba it is mainly a holiday destination of fellow Tunisians and neighbouring Libyans.

Hammamet however is very popular with the Europeans. Hence, it caters far better for all Europeans tourists

There are several nightclubs in Hammamet. The famous being Calypso. There is also Latino Disco bar, Havana Club, Oasis and other clubs that are located within some hotels. Music varies from Arabic to salsa and anything in between.

But be aware. Nightclubs tend to be frequented mainly by local young guys and not many women. And if you see a local woman there, it is very likely to be a "working" woman. Some local guys tend to approach European women to chat them up, ponce off them and try to get sleazy with them. They are not a threat but a nuisance. You should always have your boyfriend by your side.

For the feel of being at home, try to visit the Shakespeare pub. There is always music, football and Dawn the English owner of the pub even does a traditional English Sunday Roast on Sundays. Tuesday & Friday nights are drag show. You will love one of these shows. They are hilarious.

If this is your first time to Tunisia, you will need some further advice on the local culture, tradition and general behaviour.

Feel free to ask. Otherwise I wish a happy holiday.

Cas

Manchester, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Djerba or Hammamet for young couples

Cas

Thankyou for the reply, it was extremely helpful.

I shall follow your advice and book for Hammamet.

I am currently looking at either Sentido Phenicia or Les Orangers, and would be interested in your opinion on these resorts, or any recommendations you have.

Thanks again

Kate

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Agadir
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Djerba or Hammamet for young couples

Hi Kate,

I stayed in both of them before and I won't do justice if I recommend one over the other. Because both of them are fabulous, and they always seem to be competing to be the best in Hammamet. So whichever one you chose you would have chosen an excellent hotel.

They both pride themselves on: the location, the welcome, the cleaniness, the standard the rooms, the swimming pools, and quality of food & drinks.

But their best assets are their staff. Each one of them will go that extra mile to make your stay as enjoyable and comfortable as you would only dream of.

For me personally I would re-visit Les Orangers. It just has that a little edge to it.

Cas

Manchester, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Djerba or Hammamet for young couples

Cas

Have booked to stay at Les Oranges first week in Oct.

Hopefully the weather should be ok.

Thanks for helping me decide, can't wait!!!

Kate

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Agadir
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Djerba or Hammamet for young couples

Kate,

Judging by years gone by, the weaher pattern early October has mostly been confortably warm and you may even got the odd hot days. It could be a little breezy in the evenings. So a light jacket/cardigan may be handy.

I hope you have & the boyfriend have a wonderfrul time.

Cas

6. Re: Djerba or Hammamet for young couples

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, October 12, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Djerba Island
More Djerba Island Topics