We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Warning

adelaide
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Warning

We are travelling to Phuket in 7 weeks, but have just read the warnings about unrest in Bangkok and that it may spread to

other parts of Thailand. Not sure what to do? we have travel insurance but not sure if they will refund the cost/ any advice would be great we are travelling with our children 15 & 12

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,750 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Warning

You should check with your insurance company first to see if you are covered and if not, considering changing your plans. From what I've read on this Forum Phuket is ok at the moment and you don't need to get out at Bangkok Airport, just transfer straight through to Phuket. It all boils down to what happens in the next few weeks and whether your insurance covers you.

tasmania
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Warning

We are travelling to phket in two weeks and our insurance company just say sit tight they will inform us if any change. The airline is looking at waying changes costs. Some airlines are already allowing you to change for no cost. I am getting quite stressed about the whole thing, as we are also travelling with two children. If you look at your insurance website, most of them have warnings and what to do.

australia
Level Contributor
335 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Warning

guys we are also going in 5 weeks & travelling with children, as said alot on this website, there is no trouble in Phuket at this moment, who knows what will happen, maybe the violence will settle down, maybe it will get worse & spread! I got a refund on my insurance, and Ill purchase more when we leave, as at this stage we may or may not be going to Phuket! My advice is, plan to go but also have a back up plan if things go ugly in Phuket.

I hope the violence ends soon for everyones sake

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,881 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Warning

We are also going to Phuket (and Singapore) in 7 weeks. I have just telephoned my insurance company and they said that we couldn't cancel at this stage. They will only pay out if the airlines stop taking people to Phuket, otherwise, we go ahead and they will cover us.

As others have said, Phuket is safe, but best to have a backup plan if required.

Deb

Toronto
Level Contributor
165 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Warning

As far as I know the protest won't spread down south it will always and most likely stay in Bangkok and maybe further north. I'm planning to go down in late October of this year 2010. I shouldn't be too worry about south of Bangkok. I've bee keeping track and reading news about the protest in Bangkok and so far its only happening there. There's no mentioned about any protests in Phuket or in that vacinity. My only suggestion is to avoid traveling through Bangkok.

Patong, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Warning

There is NOTHING going on in Phuket. We see the trouble in Bangkok on the TV just like you do. No reason whatsoever not to come...it's just business as usual here.

7. Re: Travel Warning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, November 14, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Thalang District