We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two weeks to go - a few queries about getting around...

Which Rawai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
190 reviews
Save Topic
Two weeks to go - a few queries about getting around...

Hi everyone,

After 6 years, we're returning to Phuket, staying in Rawai for 5 nights at the Rawai Palm Beach resort. Some of the recent reviews don't seem as positive as I'd hoped, but we're not there for a hotel as we'll spend more time our of our room than in...

I was wondering if there's any recent advise from people who stayed in the area about the best way to get around from Rawai. We wish to visit the Phuket town night market, and maybe a shopping excursion over to Karon or Kata. However, we heard that the hotel has its own taxi 'rates' that are quite high. Can you find transport easily in Rawai? Or should we arrange transfers ourselves (i.e. private drivers)?

Lastly, we will go to Krabi after Rawai and wish to get a direct boat/ferry. Has anyone used either of the following and / or booked on line:

www.aonangtravel.co.th/timetable/lang/en

www.phiphi-ferry.com/sailing-schedules.html

Thanks in advance,

- K

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
79 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two weeks to go - a few queries about getting around...

To be honest if you are looking to save money then I would recommend renting either a car or motorbike which would give you greater freedom to travel around. The taxi prices in Phuket are getting ridiculous these days.. and metered taxis are a rare occurrence unless you are traveling from the airport.

I got the ferry over to Phi Phi once... I went with a Thai friend who was able to get me the Thai price going there but I had to pay the Farang price on the way back :)

I wouldn't recommend booking the ferry in advance as you will likely be charged a far higher price through the travel agent... just pay when you arrive at the ferry terminal.

When I was living in Phuket I always used a company called Phuket Travel Company for various day trips on my days off work. The prices are reasonable and it is a ran by an English guy.

Edited: 3:29 am, February 18, 2014
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two weeks to go - a few queries about getting around...

Plenty of cheap taxis on the street at Rawai. We've stayed at Rawai and Naiharn and havent had a problem. The prices were regulated a year or so ago and everyone was charging the right price. Just agree the price before you get in. By Australian standards the fares to anywhere in Phuket are cheap.

Xavier84, if you think Phuket taxi prices are ridiculous, come to Sydney for a week!!!

We got Farang prices to and from Phi Phi last October, equivalent to A$15 each going over and A$10 coming back including transfer to/from hotel. Cheap for a 1 1/2-2 hour ferry ride plus hotel transfer.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,436 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two weeks to go - a few queries about getting around...

tezzat,

The price of taxis are ridiculously high in Puhket. You can get a taxi from Bangkok airport to your hotel(40 mins drive) for about 300 baht. It is the same distance from Phuket to Patong, but the price is double in Phuket .

Silly to compare the price of taxis in Sydney -- the minimum daily rate of pay in Phuket is 300 baht as opposed to what in Sydney? $200.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
725 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two weeks to go - a few queries about getting around...

Hi

We stayed in Rawai for 6 nights last June, at the Rawai Palms. We had a pool access deluxe room. I thought the hotel was good. The room was big, clean and comfortable. Breakfasts were good but get in early as we found some guests to be quite rude - pushing their way through.

No problems at all getting transport. We went into Patong three times, for my dental appointments and another day into Karon.

If you are after a driver for touring we used Manop and he was excellent - have booked him for April this year too.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two weeks to go - a few queries about getting around...

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the replies. We have arranged an airport pickup when we arrive to save all the hassle. I am not thinking it should be OK to arrange a driver as needed when we get there... Thanks mickshazz for the info about the Palm hotel... I think it'll be OK... Did you find drivers through the hotel, of hired off the street?

- K

6. Re: Two weeks to go - a few queries about getting around...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 22, 2015