We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

World Cup Trip to Thailand

Which Rawai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
liverpool
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
World Cup Trip to Thailand

We are looking for fun time watching Englands group games in Thailand. This will be ouur second trip the first being to Bankok at the Royal Orchid Hotel.

We had an Executive room at the Orchid and it was fantastic so we are wanting similar accom. We are planning 16 days in June and like the sound of old Phuket Town being a bit more laid back and not in your face but it would also be nice to get some beach time in.

In short we want top accomodation in an area where you can get great food, good live music and sport . We are a very young late 40s couple who appreciate a bit of class and dont appreciate trashy or chavvy things. We are open minded on where to go in Thailand and would appreciate any help, the night life has to be good and not seedy. Thanks in advance, Steve & Gay

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: World Cup Trip to Thailand

Hi- no idea on Phuket but I can tell you the World Cup will be on regular T.V in Thailand. That means you can watch in your hotel room or elsewhere. I will watch the England games with the usual sense of dread and apprehension!

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,969 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: World Cup Trip to Thailand

Hi

We are a couple in our late 40's/early 50's and found Kata very much at our pace for nightlife although the shopping was not as good, and would consider Karon for other trips as we liked the greater choice of bars, restaurants and shopping. You only find trashy and chavs, or even bogans in Patong and then really only in Bangla Road. The choice of hotels in Phuket Town is very limited, and certainly no beach time. Its a great place to visit for shopping and sightseeing.

You tend to find the larger hotels, like the Sheraton chain, are at Bang Tao beach, which is much quiter and with less outside the hotels, like bars and restaurants. We like boutique hotels in places like Kata or Karon, you might want to look at the hotels on Bang Tao, or somewhere Le Meridien Hotel (just south of Patong), like Katanoi and the KataThani hotel, Mom Tris Royal Villa between Kata noi and Kata, or the Hilton on Karon

http://www.sawadee.com/map/phuket.htm

As a female football hater and having a hubby who feels the same, we avoid football like the plague. Mr Mitch might be tempted to see an England occasionally, but we avoid even the world cup - England might get to the quarter finals then someone else will win . . . .

You will also have to take into account the time difference South Africa and Thailand, it means that most games will be during the night in Thailand

Plus to be honest I can think of nothing more boring than watching football when on holiday . . . . but hey thats us, we would rather be enjoying the water, shopping, eating and in Mr Mitch's case, drinking baileys!! Just ask the staff at the Bounty bar and Phuket Sail tours!!

Anyway, having said that, you will find most hotels, esp the 4/5* ones have good satelite TV that will include sports channels. Although you won't find that much choice in Phuket Town. You will find many bars in Patong screening matches, as you will in Karon and Kata. We avoided a bar that was advertising regularly a bar with a board saying 'screening xxxx vs xxxx tonight' when in Kata . . . can't remember where it was

Have a great time, sure you will, and you will find the WC most places as the Thais do love football!

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: World Cup Trip to Thailand

Phuket city has a few decent hotels but its not a beach resort. Places like Kata might suit you, and as Thai are football crazy you will be able to watch the matches in your hotel on both domestic TV and cable tv.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,273 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: World Cup Trip to Thailand

Re: Kick off times

The provisional times are:

Group Phase:

13:30 (Matchdays 1 & 2)

16:00 (Matchdays 1 to 3)

20:30 (Matchdays 1 to 3)

Round of 16 and Quarter Finals:

16:00

20:30

From Semi Finals onwards:

20:30

Times are Central African Time which is 4 hours behind Thai time

Doncaster UK
Level Contributor
196 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: World Cup Trip to Thailand

Hi

We have watched the World Cup in Thailand since it was played in Seoul and had the idea to watch the matches in the same time zone (Chaing Mai & Phuket). We watched the last one (Europe) in Cambodia and Hua Hin when there was 6 hours time difference, This time we're off to Samui. I think the time difference will be 4 hours which is't too bad.

All I will say is the Thai's love their football and quite a few bars etc will have a lively atmosphere during the England games with the tourists and expats also watching.

I have already booked some side trips but have checked which days England are playing or may be playing so they won't collide - sad or what ????

My favourite place to watch so far - Hua Hin . . . . .

liverpool
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: World Cup Trip to Thailand

Thank you Mrs Mitch loving your comments big time :O)

If we stay in Patong we were looking at the Amari Coral finnishing our holiday at Moms Tri, getting seperate flight prices whilst obtaining competitive hotel prices is so far proving a challenge.

Perhaps you would be kind enough to recommend a couple of hotels of a similar standard to Amari in the venues you have suggested.

Steve, Tell Mr Mitch I love Baileys mixed with Jamiesons......Killer drink

liverpool
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: World Cup Trip to Thailand

Lovin the optimism up to the semis mate :O)

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: World Cup Trip to Thailand

Time difference between UK and Thailand is 7 hours in UK winter, 6 hours in UK Summer, including Samui.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,273 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: World Cup Trip to Thailand

The World Cup is taking place in South Africa - which as I said above under the provisional times is 4 hours behind Thailand

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,969 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: World Cup Trip to Thailand

HI

Nice places as already indicated . . . . Sheraton or Dusit in Bang Tao, or somewhere Le Meridien Hotel (just south of Patong), and the KataThani hotel in Katanoi, Mom Tris Royal Villa between Kata noi and Kata, or the Hilton on Karon. We stayed at Mom Tris Boathouse and unless you stay in one of the suites its not all that.

South Africa is currently 2 hours ahead of the UK. HOWEVER, at the end of March the clocks in the UK go forward an hour, so the time difference will only be an hour. So technically Thailand will be 5hours ahead of South Africa and 6 ahead of the UK . . . . . (unless South Africa has any day light savings / clock changes during their winter in June. . ).

I saw some paint drying the other day, and that was more interesting then watching a game of football / soccer !!!

I'm a bombay and IT and LOTS of ice and lime or iced coffee type of girl, but Mr Mitch and his baileys . . . . Know the feeling about getting the best hotel quotes and flights. Have you tried netflights.com, also the best flight prices are normally out about 330 days before departure.

Have a great time watching paint dry . . .