We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Patong Trip Report 02/2014

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
572 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Patong Trip Report 02/2014

Hi guys. I just thought I want to give a trip report while it's still kinda fresh on my mind.

We landed in Phuket on 02/09/2014 and went through immigration, quite a small airport and it took quite a bit since so many other planes landed at the same time. We got our bags and our mini bus picked us up, we had 9 people total with us with lots of luggage so they had 2 big vans to pick us up. It took about I think an hour to get to our villa in Patong. The villa was up in the hill at the end of beach road. It was a beautiful villa with 5 rooms overlooking the Patong bay. One of the room was in the entrance with laundry room and etc so we didn't count it as a room. One of the bigger room with a double bed and a single had some odor so we talked to the manager who runs the place about it. We wasn't going to stay the whole 5 days if they don't do anything about it. They got us another villa right next door! The owner have several houses/villa right next to each others so after that we were quite happy. Me and my brother stayed at the new villa, 3 rooms, 2 levels with modern kitchen and floor to ceiling windows overlooking patong as well. 1 of the room *my room* was separate from the house, had floor to ceiling window, bathroom and every morning I wake up to that beautiful view of Patong. The bed face directly at the wide window, you can also open the window to get fresh breeze in and see the view. It was $500 a night for the other villa alone but we ended up having two for the same price. For anybody who interested in this place, PM me.

First night there we just relax by the pool, had a few beers and drinks and headed to Patong. The open market food center on Beach Road have delicious chicken and pork ribs BBQ, along with all kinds of seafood, noodle, fruits, and etc. You definitely need to try the BBQ chicken! and my family love the two grilled fish. We came back here quite a lot and there's even hookah, live music, and fire performance on Thursday night. The rest of the fam went to rest and me and my brother went to check out Bangla road. It was his first time in Thailand so I wanted to show him Thailand nightlife. The street were crowded with people, bars, gogo bars, ladyboys and etc. We had a few drinks and went on to do our own thing. Now if you're going to Thailand, have an open mind. If ladyboys and girls dancing half naked and etc makes you feel uncomfortable, stay home or stay away from these area. There are plenty of places to hang out and have fun without running into this type of area. I do notice that Caucasian will get bug more by those girls. I'm Asian and look kinda Thai so I don't get harass as much. They are just trying to do their job, a simple no or walking away is fine.

We went to this beach called Paradise Beach, it is at the end of Beach Road, go up the hill and drive for about 10 minutes and you'll hit it. Really nice secluded beach surrounded by the bay. It cost $100 baht to get in, and they will set up beach chair for you to hang out. There's drinks, and food for reasonable price. This is not a beach to swim, it is very shallow and full of rocks. I cut my finger by the rocks when I was moving in the water. You can't walk because of the rocks since it hurts your feet. It is however, perfect for people who love snorkeling. The water is so shallow that it goes out very far. You can see lots of fishes out there because the water here is pretty clear. My brother in law said he had the best Pad Thai there so maybe you should try it. Stay on the entrance side because it has more breeze and cooler on that side. There were European girls topless playing volleyball like it was normal. Why is it not normal in the States? lol

Karon beach was much nicer, you can swim with no rocks. There were a lot of people but not as much as Patong and there were less jet ski, It was extremely hot the day we went but it was good relaxing at the beach for a bit with some coconut drinks. The water was clear, warm, and nice sands. I haven't been everywhere in Phuket but if you want nice beach and close to everything, Karon is the place. I also got a ticket for riding the scooter on the way back but more about it later. I went to Big Buddha and stop by the elephant trekking kinda. We went on the 30 minutes riding on the elephant. It was bumpy, but at least a good view from the hill to the water. I just wanted to ride the elephant once but I would suggest skipping this place. It was on the hill on the way to Big Buddha, The Big Buddha is still under construction but you can go to the front and look at it. The view on the way down though, you just have to stop to look at the breathtaking view. The time of day I went, the water was shimmering, that view was priceless. It was one of the most beautiful view I'd ever seen. If you're in Phuket, make your way up there to the Big Buddha.

Anyways, back to getting stop by the po po and a ticket. I got stop twice actually. Once on the way back from Big Buddha, they had one of those where they are all stationed there to stop people. First time I was able to get away because my Thai friend was able to talk to the police and he let us go. 2nd stop was on our way exciting Karon on the way back to Patong. The police guy won't let us go and so we had to pay a 500 baht fine. The place we pay the fine happens to be a small little shack right next to the stop. no license, random name written down, they just wanted the $.

There's this Vietnamese lady riding on a scooter selling delicious Vietnamese Banh Canh Heo *thick rice noodle pig soup*, pork roll, Chinese sausages on Beach Road around 12PM. She have several stops along beach road usually selling it to workers along the shops. It is the best BCH I'd ever had and my whole family agreed. Pork roll was good, and the Chinese sausages was fresh and delicious. We went to look for her the next day and luckily we found her to buy a bunch for dinner and breakfast the next day.

My family hired the driver who took us from the Airpot to the villa for 2,000 baht for 9-5 to take us around the island. I personally didn't go because I had other plans but my family enjoyed it. They went south to Karon/Kata, up to Phuket Town and etc. I had a good time in Patong, it was good to have the villa in the hill to stay away from all the craziness of Patong. It's peaceful during the day and at night by the pool with a beautiful view. Then I can head down to Patong if I want to. I didn't do as much things as I planned to do, mostly due to having the family with me since not everybody wants to do things you do. Some doesn't want to spend the money, if I could I would had gone to Phi Phi and James Bond Island. Take some trips but there's always next time. I was just on my 2nd week of my 53 days vacation so it was nice to relax after being in big cities like Hong Kong and Singapore. But I am planning to be back in July hopefully if my schedule doesn't change. I miss Thailand and I can't get enough. My report on Pattaya and Bangkok will come soon.

Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Patong Trip Report 02/2014

Nice report back dude :) sounds like u had a ball

My mrs would kill me if I tried to sneak a look at the topless volleyball players but ay I might give it a go haha :P

Luke

2. Re: Patong Trip Report 02/2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 06, 2015