We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiring a car in Patong

Cape Town, Western...
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hiring a car in Patong

Can anyone advise if its safe to driver in Thailand or is it best to rather take a tuk tuk? We were thinking of hiring a car for a couple of the days so we can explore a bit more.

Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
12 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiring a car in Patong

Why not just hire a daily driver and you do not have to worry about insurance and international drivers license.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiring a car in Patong

Hi there,

I had a fantastic tour yesterday of the south of phuket and phuket town. Mini van to myself. 200 baht per hour. Really great caring driver Manop. I have limited mobility and he was just great. Cant recommend highly enough. Email m_pukpaya@hotmail.com

He will do what you want and add suggestions. He also does airport transfers and speaks english.

Su

Melbourne
Level Contributor
179 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiring a car in Patong

If you have kids and want car seats, highly recommed Mr Kam from www.kids-on-board.com - they also do car hire, but much easier to hire a driver instead of driving around yourself - the traffic and road rules (or lack of) is scary compared to Australia.

Southport, Australia
Level Contributor
102 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiring a car in Patong

Hiring a car is fun. Although not always the cheapest, in September we paid A$500.00 for 2 weeks, and only used about $40.00 in fuel. It can be easier with a driver but I enjoy the freedom of going anywhere anytime and exploring. The trip is half the fun. Nearly impossible to get lost and if you enjoy driving it is a great time. Just do not change lanes or direction suddenly as bikes come from nowhere. I have driven in low season and high season (Christmas/New Year) and never had an issue. I will always hire a car, but it is a personal thing.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
18 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiring a car in Patong

I can also recommend Manop! Been using him for 4 years now. He is an excellent driver.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
18 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiring a car in Patong

Hiring a car is ok BUT you need to make sure there is parking space available at your hotel or you might end up not finding any parking nearby. Most parking spaces at hotels (except the big resorts) have only limited parking space for scooters. Driving with a car at night and during peak times (5 pm to 10/11pm) may become very very frustrating as scooters are the MAIN transport medium and you will end up going at a snail pace on the busy roads.

7. Re: Hiring a car in Patong

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, October 29, 2015