We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phuket to Patong Beach

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nelson, Nelson, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Phuket to Patong Beach

Hi, How far is it to travel from the airport? Also is it a good idea to hire a scooter? (I am new to this part of the world for travel so have no idea so excuse me if I sound a little vague)..

My husband and I are wanting a nice relaxing (no children YAY) holiday in August this year (yes I have been told it is rainy season but hey its cheaper!) so I really want to see if I can sort it myself rather than getting an all inclusive deal from an agent we are from NZ very little competition here for travel agents.. So any suggestions would be greatly welcomed...

We are wanting a bit of fun, beach (not necessarily swimming) nice resort and a cultural difference.

Look forward to hearing from someone that might have first hand experience.

Shelby

Melbourne
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Phuket to Patong Beach

It's about 45 mins from the airport to Patong Beach via Taxi depending on traffic - sometimes it will be quicker sometimes it will be slower. Be very careful on a scooter - a very cheap and convenient way to get around but there are many accidents in Thailand involving scooters. Serious injuries and large costs can result. We've never hired one ourselves but there will be plenty of advice on the forums from people who have. Try searching on the phuket forum and I'm sure you will get some useful information.

It's also very easy to book flights and accomodation yourself online for Phuket. Agoda is very good in our experience for accommodation and we have used them often. It's always good though to compare the prices you can get yourself though with the all inclusive deals. Sometimes you can come across a real bargain package deal via reputable travel agents.

Have a good trip.

Bathurst, Australia
Level Contributor
291 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phuket to Patong Beach

Hi Shelby

Welcome! You can totally work it out yourself and without travel agents! That's have the fun.

First thing to do it read everything you can. Read reviews and forums and then ask specfic questions. We had our first kid free holiday 4 years ago and are about to go for our 3rd time without kids! Even took them the last time.

Patong is half an hour or so from the airport. Easy enough to get there by cab. Lots of great hotels. Most are across the road from the beach and have great pools. I would search by top rated hotels and go from there. We stayed at Banthai last time which was nice but are trying Patong Merlin this time as we wanted a swim up room.

Enjoy your bookings!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,582 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phuket to Patong Beach

Hi, I would also look at Patong. Easy to get to from the airport just a taxi away. Lots of entertainment with people watching and things to do.

I would not hire a scooter if you paid me. Far to dangerous and with all the tourists who cannot ride a bike or even having a license thinking it is fine to try on a road in another country. Safer to use a taxi or tuk tuk IMO

Viv

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,660 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phuket to Patong Beach

If you are not licenced to drive a scooter at home you are not licenced to drive one in Thailand although most places will hire you one no questions asked. That doesn't make it legal nor is there any insurance included with your "cheap" hire charge. Your travel insurance won't cover you also. Just not worth the risk as many have found out - unfortunately some have not lived to tell the tale.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,347 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phuket to Patong Beach

Yep as others said 45mins from airport to patong, depending on traffic.

You can so do this yourself with out a travel agent, cheaper most of the time, but once you find what you want never hurts to see if TA can better price you can do.

Lots of great hotels are not offered by TAs.

No way if you are new to Thailand would I consider hiring a scooter, unless you are a really experiences rider.

Hiring drivers is so cheap, sit back and enjoy the views

Michelle

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,540 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phuket to Patong Beach

My only advice to you is don't hire a scooter in Thailand. The road toll there is one of the highest in the world.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
752 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phuket to Patong Beach

plus a LOT of bike hirers will rip you off & cop will be called to make u pay for repairs

that you did not do-its a fairly common rip off, its the same as jet ski rip off.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
181 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Phuket to Patong Beach

If I were you I would check to see which hotels had free pick up and drop off at airport.Last time I went to Patong beach it didn't look as clean as Karon or Kata beaches which are just south of Patong and alot quieter.

Be careful of the timeshare scams.The locals are very friendly and helpful to tourists,look on youtube or read as much as you can about Phuket and Koh Samui.

9. Re: Phuket to Patong Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:22 am, February 11, 2015