We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Patong getting too crazy, busy & congested?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
547 posts
195 reviews
Save Topic
Is Patong getting too crazy, busy & congested?

We are going to Phuket in march next year and taking our friends who have never been.

The last time we went was 5 years ago (In August) and we loved Patong. We stayed in Kata but were catching a Tuk Tuk in each night as Kata was dead and the bars in Patong we more lively. We had our kids with us so Im not refering to bangla bars but just the area in general.

My problem is my parents (60yrs) were there 2 months ago and said Patong is not like is used to be and was so congested and busy that the cars didnt move and you struggles to walk down the streets with the crowds. Is this the case and it is busier then it was 5 years ago or would it just be their opinion of it. Im not worried about us but dont want to take my friends (who loved Bali) and have them hate it because of all the crowds as I believe March is high season.

I am thinking maybe we should stay in Kata and can always taxi in but seems a waste of money if doing it everyday.

We all love shopping, nightlife, bar hopping, people watching, etc

So confused!!!! Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

4 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Is Patong getting too crazy, busy & congested?

It can be busy in Peak seasons, but not to the extent you can't walk around freely without bumping into people ... it's NEVER that busy.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
547 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Is Patong getting too crazy, busy & congested?

What is everyone's thoughts on leaving the last 3 nights without a hotel booked? Is that a bad idea being March as I would hate to end up in some 1 star dodgy place! The reasoning for this is if we liked Phi Phi we could stay another night there or by then have decided on more Patong time or to go somewhere else.

Thanks again everyone- you've all been great.

Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Is Patong getting too crazy, busy & congested?

We love staying in Kata as it has the best beach on the island and we much prefer the Kata Village to Patong during the day.Patong just doesn't do it for us during the day.

We're in our early 30's and don't want to party every night but we usually catch a Tuk Tuk into Patong about every 3rd night,have some fun and love returning to a Chillaxing Kata.

Patong is full of Aussie and Kata is more European.

PS. My photo is from Phi Phi Island and love staying there too.

Edited: 6:35 pm, November 04, 2013
Still have questions?Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Is Patong getting too crazy, busy & congested?

I am 67 and love Patong - love people watching on Bangla rd - love going for early morning walks and talking to the 'night' people- go for it you are only young -- enjoy the excitement , people from around the world, the vibrancy

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Is Patong getting too crazy, busy & congested?

Greent - back to the Salathai - it is a wonderful hotel. Ticks all the boxes - small, gorgeous pool, great breakfasts, lovely rooms, friendly and helpful staff, near everything but not in the busiest road, very good value. Recommended!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Is Patong getting too crazy, busy & congested?

Just got back a week ago. At the moment there is some heavy street and drainage construction going on. Heavy trucks are causing traffic Jams as they get stuck at corners and under power lines etc. I stay on the outskirts and get a motor bike.. Its easy just drive at speeds that you can easily stop...Be on full alert and attentive and you all will have the time of your lives...this way you can stay and do what you like...

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
60 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Is Patong getting too crazy, busy & congested?

Hi Greent,

I would agree with Tiger 4817. We also stayed at the northern end of the Patong (B-LAY Tong Patong hotel) and had a great time...the place is much quiter than the congested southern or middle part of the Patong beach and still everything is just a 15 minutes walk away...

However, Kata, Karon and Nai han area would certainly be much more quiter and peaceful option than Patong

28. Re: Is Patong getting too crazy, busy & congested?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 16, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Patong