We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach situation - November

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
195 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Beach situation - November

Hi there......

Just wondering if anybody can help as to the beach (Patong) in November. I know that it is starting to become the peak season and the weather is great but just wondering about the actual surf. We are headed over in 2 1/2 weeks and my son (10) has a surfboard that we are tossing up weather to bring along or not (he is only beginner). We are staying at Graceland. During this time of year will it be too calm and not worth bringing etc or small swells.

Thanks heaps for any help

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,678 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach situation - November

In November normally there will be a bit of swell. However with the wind coming from the East the swell will normally be unsuitable for surfing.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
195 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach situation - November

ok great....we will leave it at home then! Thanks

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach situation - November

I would definitely leave it at home even if the sea isn't as calm as it could be I doubt he'll be able to surf.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach situation - November

There is always a chance that small waves(perfect for learners)will still hit the Andaman coast in November.....However,yes...I agree with the above...At this time of the year..Leave your board at home.....

However having said that.....You can always hire a board off the beach for an hour,couple of hours or for the day....Cheap rent too....Would not expect the waves to be clean(offshore),unless he wakes up very early before the wind comes up......

According to Brio,there are boards for rent just north of Gracelands,north end of Patong....

I always take my boards in low season when the waves are more bountiful and beautiful.....

He might luck in and get one to two foot waves.....Fingers crossed...!!

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
4,001 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach situation - November

Good advice from Cocotang....leave the board at home and if the weather should turn and there are some big waves (doubt it though) then you could rather hire a board.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
195 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach situation - November

Thanks guys!!

7. Re: Beach situation - November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 03, 2014