We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elephant Treks

Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Elephant Treks

We are going to Thailand staying ay Merlin beach resort in about 2 weeks, our travel agen suggested Fantasea and speedboat to Phi Phi and an elephant trek the first two we have booked but I feel, slightly uneasy about the elephant trek I am mainly concerned about the animals well being I have heard of animals being poorly treated and so on and would appreciate some feedback from seasoned travelers is this something that is ok to do my daughter adores animals she is 10 and would be devastated to think she was contributing to any cruelty or unhappiness.

Cheers AL

Keighley, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Elephant Treks

Hi Benleis,

I agree with previos posts about Old Siam being a responsible elephant trek tour operater. Did you know however that Phuket Fantasea are on a Born Free Foundation list of places which are cruel to animals. I am sorry to tell you this now if you have allready booked but know I would like to be aware of this before visiting.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,184 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Elephant Treks

Another vote for Kok Chang Safari.

They offer hotel transfers also.

www.kokchangsafari.com

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Elephant Treks

Please please Youtube....elephant training in thailand......This brought me to tears...!!

It doesn't matter what happens now or how well the elephants are treated now...It's what happens during the earlier training of these wonderful baby animals....Only baby elephants can be trained - adult elephants...not...

Education is paramount....!!...

Trained = spirit broken...

James...Not surprised at all about Fantasea's cruelty....I unfortunately went to the show back in 2004 pre tsunami and before my knowledge of how the elephants were trained/treated.....

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Elephant Treks

Hello all you people.I have been to Phuket just one time and I found it a lovely island.

I did go for a ride on an elephant and I think it was at Kok Chang.

Shawn I have been trying to find you on here for a long time.

Can you help me please as I do need to speak with you about a flat I have found in Phuket.

Thank you Willem

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,676 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Elephant Treks

"Kok chang has new owner,wife of recently deceased owner so hope she does not spoil it."

Did not know that, thanks for the update.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
757 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Elephant Treks

steven.yeah the place still looked same,els were happy but thai friend said the woman was picking up locals to train as mahouts??

willem d i have messaged you

17. Re: Elephant Treks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 10, 2014