We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Patong? Or another resort

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
352 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Patong? Or another resort

Hi we are a couple late 40s, was really looking forward to coming to Patong in February for 9 nights, but one of the guys at work has put me off a bit saying that it's very busy, stinks of sewerage and very expensive. Albeit he's a single guy and was frequenting the bars looking for fun, he was saying after 4 days he had had enough for the above reasons and it's same thing different day. I know people have different opinions but this has now got us having second thoughts as to wether Patong is really the place for us or should we try another resort. We do like tho to be somewhere were there's something happening rather than a quiet resort. Any advice or opinions would be grateful from Patong regulars or experts and even people who may have had similar concerns.

Stevo

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
25 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Patong? Or another resort

Hi,

The only reason I suggest to tourists to stay in Patong rather than Kata, Karon etc is the cost of travel. There is a taxi mafia operating at these locations and you find you end up paying more to use the services of either the hotel limo services or the taxis permanently sitting outside of your hotel. When you try to book a more competitive priced tour or driver you find that they either can't pick you up from your hotel or they want you to walk to the beach to be collected.

Patong is busy and vibrant. But if this is your first trip this is where you want to be. Remember you will have days where you will be touring and seeing the wonderful sights the land of smiles has to offer. When my family came to visit I asked when they were leaving would they have preferred a quieter location rather than the heart of Patong. They said "no way". They got plenty of quiet time when they needed it within the hotel and enjoyed the ease of access to all that Patong has to offer.

Enjoy your trip.

Wendy

22. Re: Patong? Or another resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 13, 2014