We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gracelands - Stressed about all the sickness

Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Gracelands - Stressed about all the sickness

We are going in 2.5 weeks and staying at Gracelands, I'm a bit anxious about all the people that have done reviews that have all got sick. Obviously if you are going to get sick you can't avoid it, but I have read reviews of some of the other hotels, Holiday Inn in particular and its all been positive no talk about sick people...

With a 5 an 7 year old, I am wondering if we should ask to be moved ? Just wondering what people's thoughts are?

thanks in advance

Julie

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
750 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gracelands - Stressed about all the sickness

You are reading reviews from a teeny tiny percentage of people who have travelled to Phuket. We stayed at the Holiday Inn in August this year, and while we did not get sick, there were people who told us they had been sick. Last year I got sick, this year I didn't. You can't predict what will happen. I was like you, worried about it, prepared by taking loads of meds and sanitiser stuff. It was all fine. Just go and have an awesome holiday! I'm sure it will all be good.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,765 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gracelands - Stressed about all the sickness

Sadly if there is a norovirus doing the rounds it only takes one or two people to check into a hotel and spread it around for lots to suffer.

If you ask to be put somewhere else who is to say that this won't happen there.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
4,001 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gracelands - Stressed about all the sickness

Dont stress too much Julie...I am reading more about sick people here on TA than I am actually meeting and living/working with on Phuket. As Julie B says you are reading about a small percentage who have fallen ill here.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
195 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gracelands - Stressed about all the sickness

We too are headed to gracelands in just over 5 weeks. We are travelling with 4 kids aged 15, 10, 4 and 2 and also with another family that have 2 teenage children. Although I regularly check the reviews, I have put aside the worry about the reported sicknesses in the resort. With thousand of people passing through, you can't really

Pinpoint where the sickness is from.....passing through the airport, handling money, markets etc. As much as people are happy to blame the resort you need to be realistic and realise you can catch it rom anywhere. I had afriend here this morning that stayed at gracelands in april and did not fault it. Hope to read your review when you get back home!

Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gracelands - Stressed about all the sickness

Thanks everyone for your words. I have to also put it aside also, or I will never leave the room lol. I will be getting some hand santisers before we get to our room though lol....I have read up quite a bit about Norovirus, I knew most of it anyway, but did get some good tips. Kirsty I will definitely post when we get back, so excited cannot wait!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,391 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gracelands - Stressed about all the sickness

Check out Travelan - cheaper at Chemist Warehouse in Oz. My cousin, our friend and I go to Phuket every year. We had duck for the second time at the same restaurant. Our friend took 2 Travelan tablets (he forgot he'd already taken one), cousin took one just before we started eating - instead of 1 hour before - and smarty pants me! who had never been sick in over 40 years travelling - had never heard of Travelan. I was in bed - dying - for 2 days, cousin lost 1 day and our friend was our nurse - not a murmur! Others on this forum recommend charcoal tablets. Don't eat anything which might have been washed in ucky water (salads, etc) peel all fruit, be wary of drinks with ice, don't eat duck in a fish restaurant - even if it was OK the first time We use hand sanitisers all the time. I've stayed at Gracelands twice and thoroughly recommend it as the best family resort in Phuket - 2 gorgeous pools and right opposite the beach. I promise you will love it.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
750 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gracelands - Stressed about all the sickness

Sorry to disagree with you Dale 47 but I took Travelan last year - always before every meal....a week into our Phuket trip I was sick as a dog and had to have a doctor called. I didn't take Travelan this year, and didn't get sick at all!! But what I did take this year was a Probiotic a month before we left and kept taking it until after we got back. Don't know if I was just lucky or whether it helped any. We were also super crazy about hand washing and using hand sanitiser this year. I reckon its luck of the draw - it could be an airborne bug that gets you and has nothing to do with ingesting food or drink.

Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gracelands - Stressed about all the sickness

I am concerned as well, it seems to be wide spread from the posts, which could lead to the bug being at the airports. Just an opinion though.

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Gracelands - Stressed about all the sickness

I can sympathise with you Jewelie031, we just got back on Friday from patong merlin and there was a lot of sick people there also. Our plane was quarantined at Sydney airport due to my son having gastro and vomiting for six hours constantly on the plane and was admitted to st George hospital. It can happen any where, we enjoyed our time in thailand it was just unfortunate that he got so sick on the plane. Just the luck of the draw as I was fine.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,391 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gracelands - Stressed about all the sickness

Julie B. Please more details on the Probiotic you took.