We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to obtain Thai baht in Phuket

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to obtain Thai baht in Phuket

What's the best way to get my spending money, buy baht here, take sterling there and exchange or use ATM Thanks

Bathurst, Australia
Level Contributor
296 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to obtain Thai baht in Phuket

There are literally thousands of posts answering this question.

Get your baht there. Either take cash and exchange or use ATM. Either way is fine, however there are bank charges for using ATM.

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to obtain Thai baht in Phuket

hello sarah don,t get any bht in the uk!

wait till u get too thailand the exchanange rate is better

do look at the questions on the right fo initial info

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to obtain Thai baht in Phuket

Take cash and use the many Booths that are on the island. They will always give you the best rate. Even though there are many ATM's the rate is always terrible from then bank and you have to add on all the hidden fees.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to obtain Thai baht in Phuket

Thanks for all your help, and yes I've just spotted and read the frequently asked questions about money, sorry I didn't see it sooner

Glasgow
Level Contributor
243 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to obtain Thai baht in Phuket

Hi, just back last week and we exchanged £100 before we left the uk and then changed the rest when we got there. You will get a much better rate doing it this way. Remember to take english bank notes in good condition or they wont accept them.

Phuket
Level Contributor
602 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to obtain Thai baht in Phuket

For those bringing USD for changing into Thai Baht - make sure that the notes are year '2000 Series' upwards or the banks will not accept them :(

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
93 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to obtain Thai baht in Phuket

I done a very large withdrawal of cash at Phuket airport from my bank account and it lasted for some time. I used my credit card at restaurants and took money from the ATM if I needed some more. The fees were a little higher than I thought for the ATM though

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,751 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to obtain Thai baht in Phuket

Travelers Cheques give you a better rate.

Rotherham, England...
Level Contributor
875 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to obtain Thai baht in Phuket

Travelers Cheques may give you a better rate but that's negated if you have to buy them in the first place. I've found cash is king, take sterling and exchange over there for best rates.

greenock
Level Contributor
49 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to obtain Thai baht in Phuket

Sarah,we are just back from Patong,you will get 50baht for a £1 in most currency exchange booths.

Hope the weather is good for you...but even if it rains it will still be 30 deg.