We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fear of flights - need suggestions

Level Contributor
31 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Fear of flights - need suggestions

Hi all!

My boyfriend and I are in Patong at the moment. He has a fear of flights and it seems to have gotten worse on the trip over. He gets an extreme level of anxiety and it hasn't made for very pleasant travel on his part.

I don't want him to have to go through the same thing again. If anyone has any suggestions on what we may be able to do I would be very grateful to hear them.

I am going to head into a chemist to see if we can get some form of 'happy drug' that will either leave him feeling high as a kite, or knocked out (either works for us!) but thought I'd post the question here also as I would be interested to hear of others experiences. I am sure he's not the first to have this problem.

BTW posting this in this forum rather than the flight forums as I figure someone may be able to point us in the direction of a specific place that sells something handy locally.

Thank you all in advance!!

Level Contributor
31 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Fear of flights - need suggestions

Thank you for all this info.

I love how many different ideas there are here, and people's own experiences which are definitely helpful.

Fingers crossed a combination of all of this works, otherwise we're looking at a life of holidays by cruise ship! :-)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
756 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Fear of flights - need suggestions

rescue remedy is good & no harmfull stuff in it.

Edited: 12:44 am, September 05, 2013
Level Contributor
368 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Fear of flights - need suggestions

I also have an irrational fear of flying, but I love to travel. I have been on over 60 flights and only recently have I been able to become less stressed about it. I can never sleep on a plane. I absoloutely detest landings still - but that is the shortest part of the whole flight, but I cannot get comfortable with that. Every time I land I swear we are not going to stop on time.

Because we travel overseas around 4 times per year - people around me have no idea of my fear of flying.

1.Pre -trip I refuse to think about the flight, only the destination.I never talk about my fear when telling people of my travel plans for I feel that would make it worse. I also travel with kids and do not want to give them my fears also.

2. I take my ipad loaded with movies and noise cancelling headphones - this has been the best distraction ever and before I knew it the flight was halfway over after the first 2 movies. Although the headphones quickly come off once I feel turbulence, once it settles back to the Movie.

3. I can never take sedatives because like others said, I want to be alert if something does go wrong.

4. Being comfortable is a great relaxant. I take socks and a sarong to wrap around my shoulders if Im cold. And a u blow up travel pillow, but placed at the neck front for chin to rest on- so my neck is relaxed.

Edited: 5:13 pm, September 07, 2013
Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Bowen, Australia
Level Contributor
309 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Fear of flights - need suggestions

My two cents worth...I'm also terrified of flying, and I take diazepam which is prescribed by my doctor. I fly quite a lot as I refuse to let my fear stop me. We have just got back from Thailand, and we had a total of six flights.

I only took the diazepam for the two long flights, and as I didn't want to take them for the shorter ones I googled "fear of flying courses" prior to leaving. There is an article about halfway down that gives tips to conquer your fear, so I read it a few times, and put it into practice on the day of each flight - it really helped!!!

If I get a chance I'll post the link to the article for the rest of you who also fear flying. It really did make a difference, and I was so stoked with myself for managing to fly without taking anything on the shorter flights - first time I've ever managed it!!!

I did have my pills handy in case I needed them, so I think knowing I had them as a safety net also helped, but just doing it without being drugged has made me more confident for my next lot of flights which are in three days!

Happy & Safe Travels Everyone - JBR to follow in the next fee days :0)

25. Re: Fear of flights - need suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, September 10, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Patong