We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free atm ?

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Free atm ?

Is there any ATMs in Patong I can withdraw from without paying the 150 baht charge I've read about?

I'm not charged for using my card abroad so It's great if I can just withdraw every couple of days and not have to carry lots of cash about.

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Free atm ?

yes only one in some shopping centre, though cant remember the name

probably a mile long queue and the tuk tuk fare too

take trav cheques or cash

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
43,717 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Free atm ?

Have a look at the FAQ on the right "FOREX and Money Options". Here's the link with all the information you need tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-s601/Thailand…

Look at the section on ATMs in general and AEON ATMs in particular. These are the ones that are free and it tells you where to find them on Phuket. I understand the withdrawal fee is now or is proposed to be 180 baht per withdrawal.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,786 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Free atm ?

Aeon ATM's are the ones you need, but they tend to be busy. You'll find one at Big C and 1 at Central Festival, both in Phuket Town.

Fee for Mastercard withdrawals has been raised to 180 Baht, Visa is still 150 Baht.

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Free atm ?

There's a bus from the airport that stops right at the central festival, I can then get a taxi to my hotel in Patong.

How much am I looking at for a taxi from central to Patong? Is this considerably cheaper than from the airport?

Is it more hassle than it's worth? Lol

Level Contributor
157 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Free atm ?

There are also some ATM cards that will reimburse you for ATM fees. Charles schwab is a popular one.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Free atm ?

#4 - Yes! Getting off the bus, with all your baggage, walking through a shopping centre with said bags, and then negotiating a taxi to Patong to save 180baht minus the taxi fare would be crazy.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Free atm ?

#3 is correct. Note one location in each complex for AEON ATM's but several machines. No queues.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Free atm ?

Aeon is still fee free - everyone should use them to avoid the extortionate fee!

FYI I saw an Aeon ATM in Jungceylon Mall basement in Patong beach (current as of mid-December 2013), despite the Aeon website saying there is not one there anymore

(Open this ATM locator link in Google Chrome and click translate to show Aeon atm locations: http://www.aeon.co.th/aeon/af/aeon/unsec/custSrv/loc/loc.do?channelId=-8753&selectedChannels=-8758,-8753&lang=th&locType=1)

Ironically though, I got a better exchange rate for cash from the 'best rate' money changer on Rat U Thit, South of Jungceylon Mall (on East side of road). (These guys mustn't follow the spot rate/over night rate as closely as you'd imagine.)

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,786 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Free atm ?

Yes, apparently there are now 2 ATM's in Jung Ceylon basement.

However, on their website Aeon announced

'AEON Thana Sinsap (Thailand) Public Company Limited (AEONTS) would like to inform that cash withdrawal transaction on electronic cards issued by foreign banks at AEON’s ATM will be imposed 150 THB of access fee per transaction and 20 THB per transaction for all electronic cards issued by card issuer companies in Thailand.

*** The extra fee other than the above rate will be charged by card issuer ***''

AFAIK this fee has not yet been charged.

10. Re: Free atm ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 16, 2015