We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiring Scooters in Patong

Sydney
Level Contributor
18 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Hiring Scooters in Patong

I'm going to Patong with 2 older children 21 and 16 and am wondering if hiring scooters is a good idea for us to get around. I know it would be a blast for the kids - more fun than hiring a taxi for a day. Does anyone have any experience of hiring scooters in Patong? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiring Scooters in Patong

My advice would be don't do it unless you have motorbike licenses and experience. It's a blast until you crash and find out your travel insurance won't cover the hospital bills.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
93 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiring Scooters in Patong

There is A LOT of information and opinions here on your subject. In the end it all boils down to your decision. If they don't have FULL OPEN motorbike licenses at home then the resounding answer should be No, do not hire. I have a license here in Aus and it's still not something I would do again.

Consider if they crash... Not even a big one. Lets say they get lucky and make do with the skin taken off the side of their body they land on. A week in hospital, medical costs, loss of holiday time is probably the best you can hope for. All funded by you. Then consider you'll be up for repairs to the bike. This wont be the actual cost of repairs of course, this is Thailand. More like replacement cost, funded by you.

Worst case scenario, well I'm sure you can figure it out.

Put simply, IMO, don't do it. Hire a driver, take a cab, even a tuk tuk...... Consider the risk V reward.....

(Apologies if this sounds "lecture-ish", it's not my intention at all)

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiring Scooters in Patong

Hi

As the others have stated unless you have a full license & are very experianced i wouldnt risk it, riding a scooter can be loads of fun my wife & i do it every time we go to Phuket BUT i am very experienced & even saying that its not always the person riding that causes the crash, road rules in phuket are pretty casual untill you have an accident then it all changes very quickly & apart from the pain & suffering there will also be fines & payment to the other driver/ drivers. My suggestion is the same as evryone elses don't do it, hire a driver for the day & relax.

Vinny

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiring Scooters in Patong

Anyone will hire you... and your children ...bikes, but very good advise from previous posters.

I also ride at home and often chose not to hire in Phuket due to the madness of unlicenced and inexperienced riders plus the horrendous local traffic conditions.

Phuket
Level Contributor
42 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiring Scooters in Patong

40 people die in Thailand everyday from motorcycle accidents. Not a year, month or week, A Day.

Patong in Phuket has one of the highest accident rates going. I was at the hospital yesterday for some minor dental work and the hospital door was a revolving door of bandages, leg & arm wraps and slings of course with foreigners. .

Not trying to scare you away from bikes, but it just might be the best advise someone can give.

When to rent: - if your children have lots of experience riding motorcycles in congested places.

When not to rent - if they are inexperienced riders or lack experience.

I have ridden a motorcycle for 32 years and on multiple occasions have had to do something nifty to avoid being run down or cut off into another vehicle. be very very careful regarding this seemingly pleasant experience which is what it should be.

Phuket
Level Contributor
42 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiring Scooters in Patong

Great response. :]

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,921 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiring Scooters in Patong

Think hard before you do this. The number of people killed on the road in Thailand is horrendous.

Sydney
Level Contributor
18 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiring Scooters in Patong

Thanks so much. My son does have a license but I don't and my daughter doesn't. I think we'll stick with the tuk tuks - at least there's some novelty value there! Good to have a reality check, much appreciated.

Sydney
Level Contributor
18 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiring Scooters in Patong

Thank you. The message from everyone is overwhelmingly clear and we'll be looking at alternatives. My son will have to get his adrenaline fix elsewhere!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
93 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hiring Scooters in Patong

If he's after an adrenalin fix try getting him onto "Flying Hanuman" or an "ATV Tour" :)

Have fun!