We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time with a few questions...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First time with a few questions...

Hello, my friend and I are travelling to Phuket and staying in Patong beach early march and as this is my first time I have a few questions..l

We have no booked accommodation as yet, but we are looking for a place close to everything and with free wifi and a great pool for $70-100 aud a night...any suggestions as the places I have found have really bad reviews :(

We want to go to a zoo where we can hold baby tigers and monkeys, anyone know any places?

What is the best way to travel with my money? I have been to Bali a few times and gottn ripped off at money exchange booths, is this also an issue in Thailand?

Also looking at doing Quadbike riding...

Any tips would be appreciated, my friend and I are both early 20's :)

Thankyou!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: First time with a few questions...

Jillyian,

Been to Thailand 3 times & this April is my fourth. I remember my first trip like it was yesterday & loved it. As mentioned above people will focus on the negatives just look at how important the things they are complaining about are, as for your price range you’re looking for a basic but clean place with a decent pool. I’ve stayed in Deevana Spa Resort, Millienium, Absolute Bangla & Baan Laimai – the ones in your price range would be Baan Laimai (very social for young 20 somethings) & extremely close to beach with basic but clean rooms.

Deevana is the other one I recommend about a 7 - 10min walk from beach little bit quieter – cost us for April 2013 approx. $80 a night including breakfast daily & airport transfers to & from Airport. Rooms basic & clean but not as social as Baan Laimai. Try various websites & compare the prices - the newest site is Trivago which will compare: Booking.com, Agoda & Hotel club which shows the cheapest deal - you can also try this local thai booking site which can be cheaper than all the others: http://www.sawadee.com/

I've never gone over with a Travel card I jut prefer to store my money in the safe - I exchange AUD$ dollars when I need to at the money exchanges & pop back to my accommodation to put the wad of cash back in the safe, would normally just walk around with a couple thousand bht most days & would always have my VISA debt in safe to withdraw from if I ran out of cash. I often exchange a couple hundred dollars here in Australia & you really notice how much better the rates are when you exchange in patong (or so I’ve found).

Couple of tips, be careful of the scooters & make sure your travel insurance covers you if you had a prang – I had one & was lucky it wasn’t worse than it was it happens all the time over there. Tuk tuks are easy to get around in along with drivers that take you out for the day in air-conditioned cars – usually about 500-800Bht.

White box restaurant on the beach at Kalim is really nice at sunset. Fantasea Show / Themepark are well worth a look. Enjoy it for what it is, it can be dirty & you often have to do strange things like carry tissues around as the toilets don’t all have paper but it’s all part of the experience; the scenery, cocktails massages, people you meet & the sites you see make for a relaxing & interesting holiday. Have a Ball.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
398 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: First time with a few questions...

Pukhet - or rather Patong, is the most expensive part of Thailand.

With your budget- you may not get a good hotel, and most hotels here charge extra for wifi usage, you may end up using the wifi at eateries.

Exchange rate is bad here in Patong, change the Bahts in Bangkok or even in your country before leaving.

Beware when you use credit cards here, some places (eg. Patong Merlin Hotel) convert the charge straight away to your home currency at the Hotel's exchange rate (about 10% higher) plus another 3% service charge.

Patong is a tourist trap, beware.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: First time with a few questions...

Im confused..(dont take much lol) Im planing on going to phuket in august ..I have been to bali a gfew times and we got our money converted at Kodak exchange places..Is there places like that in phuket??

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: First time with a few questions...

I know this wasnt my post but I would like to say THANK YOU to Coco C your response helsped me...My hubby is one of those men "we'll be right" but I like to know everything before hand..Where are the exchange places?? Like you I like to bring cash and just get a couple hundred changed...I have been looking at staying at Duangjitt Resort & Spa..Still undecided too many places to look at ..

Melbourne
Level Contributor
351 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: First time with a few questions...

Hi Jillyian,

There's quite a few hotels in Patong to choose from that may fit your budget, Centra Ashlee, it has complimentary wireless internet access, roof top pool and is central to restaurants, shopping etc., Blue Ocean Resort is another.

As far as zoos etc go, please dont! You may want to read this thread ( from FAQ on rhs of forum page

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293920-i5037-k601…

The Gibbon Rehab centre at Bang Pae Waterfall is worth spending a morning or afternoon at.

As far as money goes; i always take some cash, TC's purchased from Aus Post (Commission Free) and my 28Degree Mastercard (pre loaded with my own money) great exchange rates and dont charge ATM or conversion fees. You'll still get charged the 150THB ATM fee regardless of which banks card you use. Travel cards IMO are a rip off and dont offer good rates

australia
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: First time with a few questions...

Jillyan

try everything you mentioned and judge for yourself, people give their experiences and opinions on TA and thats fine thats what its for, however ive done things recommended on here and hated it and the opposite as well

most good drivers will take you to any of the things mentioned, then on your next visit you decide what you liked and didnt and whether you do it again or not

Use bank exchange booths and count your money

have fun!!

Edited: 9:20 am, February 13, 2013
Sydney, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: First time with a few questions...

Could you tell me more about fantasea going to phuket this week

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,944 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: First time with a few questions...

Here you go Wendy,

http://www.phuket-fantasea.com/index2.php

19. Re: First time with a few questions...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 24, 2014