We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tell any young girls going to Patong to be careful!

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Tell any young girls going to Patong to be careful!

My 20 y.o. daughter just got back from Thailand after staying for 9 nights and she and her friend are sure their drinks were spiked they think twice due to some really bizarre behavour. The main one being when her friend was robbed by ladyboys last monday night after she suddenly decided she would go for a midnight swim by herself in her clothes, and just left her purse with all her money, phone and camera on the sand, and lo and behold these two guys are there to take the bag, luckily the police got the guys almost in the act. She got her phone, bag and camera back only because she pleaded with them and said they would be no use to them, but no cash, although maybe if she had asked she might have gotten some of it back....they work in strange ways over there, the police were prob in on it as they seemed to be right there when it happened. How convenient but they weren't the ones trying to get the stuff back for her she had to plead with the robbers. My daughter was nowhere to be found as she had somehow stumbled back to the room by herself and can't remember what happened or how she got there. She even slept through the police pounding on their door and coming in. Her friend said she looked like she was dead. She never woke up until later when it was all over, and then she was violently ill everywhere. The reason they think it was spiked is because even the next day the whole thing seemed trivial even though her friend lost all her money and police were involved but the two of them just laughed about it. She said they were partly in a daze the next day and still feeling very sick and out of it. It wasn't until later that they realised it was serious and her friend made up a lie to tell her mother when she had to send her more money as she was too embarrassed to tell her what really happened.

Now I know girls do go out and get drunk but they are seasoned drinkers and know their limits but they know this was not right at all. So I am telling you, even though your kids won't listen, try to make them anyway.

And yes it is true that you can get HIV from the needles in tattooing over there as her boyfriend's 3 friends are the ones from the news last year that were contaminated from the needles and are now HIV positive. I didn't think it was real either until she told me just before she left. So, this is not a friend of a friend of a friend or an urban myth as I thought. So at least I knew she wouldn't do that, although she still ignored me about the jetskis and was lucky to not be more seriously hurt than she was when she fell off.

KIDS! Thank god they didn't hire bikes!!

THESE KIDS HAVE TO GET OUT OF THE "YOLO" MENTALITY...YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE, AS ALTHOUGH IT IS TRUE BUT THEY DON'T REALISE HOW FAGILE THAT LIFE CAN BE UNTIL IT IS TOO LATE

Edited: 5:58 pm, November 24, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tell any young girls going to Patong to be careful!

PS we have been to Phuket many times and have had no trouble, but obviously that is because we are older and wiser. The young kids are prime targets for the seedier elements over there (and in other countries) and shouldn't let their guard down just because they are on holidays, but won't listen when you try to tell them.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,361 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tell any young girls going to Patong to be careful!

There are opportunists everywhere, this is not exclusive to Phuket or Thailand for that matter. Drink spiking goes on in every city with bars and clubs. Your daughter and her friend need to take responsibility for their actions. Getting drunk and then swimming alone after dark at the beach, is asking for nothing but trouble!

They really should have been looking out for each other. Sounds to me like their inability or unwillingness to control alcohol consumption, is a major factor in all this, irrespective of how 'seasoned' they may be.

Opportunists seek out those who let their guard down.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,489 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tell any young girls going to Patong to be careful!

'They are seasoned drinkers' mmmmm.

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tell any young girls going to Patong to be careful!

those young ladys need to rememder that thai alcohol is very strong

also that swimming in the sea leads being drowned

theres no law in thailand

it will just be put down as an accident

what do you reckon tony?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
584 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tell any young girls going to Patong to be careful!

My husband is a seasoned drinker & got his drink spiked in Bangkok last year. He didn't see anyone put anything into his drink but all of a sudden felt funny & ran back to our hotel which was luckily across the street. Straight away I knew something was put into his drink but he couldn't comprehend a thing I was saying to him! Was very very scary!

Took him two days to come back to earth!

We take extra care now with our drinks everywhere not just Thailand!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tell any young girls going to Patong to be careful!

Shame on you, when I am trying to be serious! Just because it goes on and we know about it doesn't mean it can't be re-iterated to our kids that it does happen.

yes, I realise all this. But the other spiking incident was where my daughter was apparently running down the beach road thinking she was chasing dragons, obviously hallucinating, so I think that is a bit more than drinking too much because the alcohol is stronger there. I am not saying they were blameless in all this but they are normally more careful and unless you have had your drink spiked yourself I think it is being a bit judgemental to say that either knew what they were doing that night as it was not normal behaviour for either of them and I think looking out for each other at that point was beyond either of them. And yes, I realise her friend could have drowned doing that.

I am just saying tell the younger girls to be careful of themselves as it does happen.

Unless you in the situation, don't be so high and mighty, it could happen to anyone and I am sure it happens there every night, just that most don't say anything or realise it has happened. And so what if they drink, even though I don't like it you think they are the only young people that do that??

I am not condoning them getting drunk, I am just saying to let others know don't let your guard down just because you are on holidays.

p.s. I did mention not just Patong but other places as well. I know it happens in a lot of places, but sometimes in these situations when in a tropical country they left their guard down for a minute......

Edited: 6:45 pm, November 24, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tell any young girls going to Patong to be careful!

"and I am sure it happens there every night" It doesn't. Its actually not common although it does happen.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tell any young girls going to Patong to be careful!

what you think what thousands of people visiting it doesn't happen to someone every night? That's a bit naive.

geelong
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tell any young girls going to Patong to be careful!

Sorry i have to agree with prince and Andy i was over there in october and never went anywhere on my own and ownly drank every now then and certainly didnt go swimming in the beach at nite

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tell any young girls going to Patong to be careful!

It certainly sounds like drink spiking to me.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention south123.

And thank you for posting.