We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel insurance direct

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
303 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
travel insurance direct

has anyone had any experence good or bad with travel insurance direct???

australia
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel insurance direct

I'd like to know also.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel insurance direct

I always use Travel Insurance Direct. I have just purchased my Annual Policy this morning. $380.00 for family cover with NIL excess. I have only ever made 2 claims and both were attended to very promptly. Never had to claim medical so cannot comment on how these are processed. My claims were for a lost mobile phone and damaged luggage, claims were done over the phone ( no paperwork required as claims were for less than $300 each) and money was deposited direct into my bank account within 3 days. Definitely worth a look on their site. Promotional code is TIDTHANKS for an extra 10% discount.

Perth
Level Contributor
458 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel insurance direct

We have used TID as well. Easy to buy and much cheaper. We contacted them in Hong Kong when my daughter had a high fever before we went to the doctor so we were following the correct procedure. It ended up being a cold instead of her usual ear infection which might prevent her from flying. The doctor's visit was not covered because we had an excess but the service over the phone reverse charge was good.

Have also made a claim for an iPod. Speedy service as long as you have the police report and receipt.

Remember they are underwritten by someone else - a large company like Zurich or Allianz..... Read the fine print to confirm.

I would recommend them.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel insurance direct

I have also used TID about 10 times and unfortunately I did need to make a claim which was dealt with. But it did take a really long time to process.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel insurance direct

I'm another happy user of TID. I liked their website, they seemed to cover all types of eventualities, and their premiums seemed reasonable - these were the reasons I chose them originally. We've used them on all our trips, about 5 times, since, but have only claimed once. We did need to gather a fair bit of paperwork, but I would imagine that'd be normal. The claim was paid quickly once we had submitted everything, and they covered everything except the phone calls that we made on our mobile as a result of the delay. That was in the policy, though, so fair enough.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
750 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel insurance direct

I have made a claim this month for medical expenses from September trip. They took a week to let me know they got it even though I emailed it in. Not sure if this is normal for travel insurance claims, but they demand you see your own doctor when you return and have them fill out the claim form. I thought that was a bit silly for a food poisoning claim that happened a week after I arrived in Thailand. We will see how the claim goes before we use them again next year. Its only $150.

australia
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel insurance direct

I had our insurance with AAMI when we went on our July trip (I have written another thread about this). When the porter took our bags from the room and took them to reception (which is fairly normal), one of the bags went missing. AAMI were not going to pay because they said they bag was unattended by me. Three months later they have paid half and I think they are trying to get out of getting the other stuff.

So, my question is,does TID have that same caluse about unattended baggage?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: travel insurance direct

Hi Guys,

One trip i also had insurance with AAMI took ill and they took months to pay hospital bill paper work went missing etc etc.. Last trip in july of this year we insured with Southern Cross Ins my partner took ill just before leaving they where great..she filled in form sent in doctors certificate 1 week later her money was back in her account with a nice message hopeing she was better and sorry she missed her trip..We will always go with them from now on.

Mark

australia
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travel insurance direct

That'sgood reyno59, I might look at them also.

AAMI can be dissapointing.

That wasmeant to be clause too...lol..sorry for the typo :-)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travel insurance direct

I always use Southern Cross Insurance. Cheaper than TID.