We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR: Budget Family Holiday, Sept 7th - 16th

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gold Coast
Level Contributor
121 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
JBR: Budget Family Holiday, Sept 7th - 16th

Hi everyone, firstly thanks for all your help planning our second trip to Thailand, only difference was we had the pleasure of taking our 15 and 13 year old boys.

Just a quick warning, this may be long :)

Flew with Scoot Airlines from the Gold Coast to Singapore and then TigerAirways from Singapore to Phuket......have nothing bad to say about either, both left and arrived on time, seats and food as expected for low cost carriers, can't complain when we only paid $640 each return. Two tips, only take carry on on the way over and don't prepay your meals.

We booked our hotel transfers with Panya, he sent his friend Mr Chai who was very nice and a safe driver and was waiting outside for us with a sign, paid 1700B ($52AU) return to Karon in a nice, modern 10 seater......please beware of people waiting by the luggage with the trolleys keen to find you a taxi. This didnt happen last time so we weren't prepared, he just took off out to the taxi stand before we could even stop him and the cunning part of it all was that it was too late to exchange our money inside and we had to "conveniently" do it at one of the tourist stands outside where he obviously knew the lady and then had the cheek to wait for a tip :(

Anyway, back to the good bits, we arrived at Karon Hillside Hotel just before 10pm, got a very good deal of 650B ($20AU) per room, per night for a twin and king room (low season of course) Too excited to sleep so headed out to dinner down the road.

Day 1: As recommended by TA members we headed to Karon Cafe which was about a 10 min walk for us and worth every hot, sweaty step lol! It became our regular breakfast spot for the next week. Lovely staff, free wifi and GREAT prices....99B ($3) for eggs benedict then add 49B ($1.50) for the continental breakfast, my boys thought it was Christmas and nearly cleaned them out of waffles, muffins and yoghurt :) We headed back to the hotel for a swim as we were being picked up by Manop (Awesome guy!) at 2pm to visit an orphange in Koh Sireh. I had contacted The Sunshine Village a few months before and we were visiting with truck loads of pyjamas kindly gifted from friends and family. It was a very humbling experience and one I'm sure my boys and I will remember for a long time, especially when the "House mumma" reminded by boys of how lucky there were to have us both. If you have the time and funds, please pay them a visit :) On the way to the Phuket Town night markets we stopped to feed some monkeys on an unusual island in the middle of town, interesting! We spent 2 hours at the market before it got too crowded. If you see something you like BUY IT! I thought I could buy a particular watch anywhere or we'd make it back, but no. They have all the usual stuff but my 15 year old loved the food area and tryed lots of different things and the 13 year old was amazed at all the exotic animals you could buy. Manop was right on time to take us back to the hotel where we had dinner. Headed down to the 7/11 to stock up on munchies and beer, the boys were in fits over paying $3 for a can of coke, a packet of chips, a magnum icecream and a chocolate bar. This is also where our sons discovered Banana Roti (Pancakes) and so began the 15 year olds roti obsession. I'll leave it here for now, Day 2 and 3 tommorrow.

Ofelia :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
421 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: JBR: Budget Family Holiday, Sept 7th - 16th

Keep them coming!!!!!

Love Manop he is such a gentleman.

Can't wait for the next report!!!

Nellie

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
135 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: JBR: Budget Family Holiday, Sept 7th - 16th

Loved reading your report. Looking forward to the next one. Thank you for mentioning the orphanage. Would love to help out too when we are there in 8 weeks.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
241 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: JBR: Budget Family Holiday, Sept 7th - 16th

This is great - I can't wait for the next report! We are there in 2.5 weeks :)

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,159 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: JBR: Budget Family Holiday, Sept 7th - 16th

Sounds like a fun family JBR so far..awaiting the next instalment.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: JBR: Budget Family Holiday, Sept 7th - 16th

Great report, looking forward to the next instalment

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
121 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: JBR: Budget Family Holiday, Sept 7th - 16th

Thanks for the comments guys :)

Day 2: We had emailed Panya about 4 weeks before our holiday and thankfully he was free today to do a day trip......Tip: Book well in advance as he is in high demand, 1200B ($38) for 5 hours and he'll cater to your tastes,panyak2009@live.com. He arrived right on time and we headed off to Karon Lookout which was beautiful! Thankfully we had great weather all week (considering it was wet season) apart from a few heavy, short showers. Next stop was Promthep Cape which was breathtaking, Panya is a great guide who is very informative and chatty, we managed to miss the crowds too. Headed to the Big Buddha which was an eye opener for the boys, took lots of photos and loved the coconut icecream so I had seconds. Tip: If you can remember, ladies wear long shorts or a skirt and cover your shoulders, otherwise they have sarongs you can borrow, same goes for Wat Chalong. Next stop, Wat Chalong. Beautiful statues and temples but unfortunately by now it was getting very hot and the hubby wasn't coping so we asked Panya to take us to lunch. He took us to a seaside seafood restaurant which was a bit pricey and not as nice as we expected, but oh well, we're in Thailand so who cares lol! Time to head home now cause hubbys headaches getting worse. Cool down in the pool and dinner at Da Marios Italian restaurant.....I know....wasn't my first choice but it was really good!! Highly recommend the prawn pizza. Had to fulfil 15 year olds craving for Banana roti and then off to bed.

Day 3: Unfortunately all the sun and seafood from the day before has left hubby unwell so the boys and I ventured out on our own. We had passed "2 Chefs" a number of times so decided to pop in for breakfast today. The food was very good and the service was even better, you must try their desserts! Had an uneventful day sunbathing by the pool and sipping cocktails.....oh what a hard life :) The boys had spotted a "flash" restaurant in Karon they wanted to try for lunch so off we went to the place that I now can't remember lol! Anyway its on the corner before you get to the temple, very new, very nice and affordable. I'll post if I remember cause it deserves a mention. Quick trip to the 7/11 where we have to stock up on Lipton Green Tea (for the 15yr old), Green Fanta (for the 13yr old) and Chang for me :) We had room service tonight from the hotel restaurant which was very good! Me and the 15 year old LOVE Thai food so we're in our element but I can see the 13 year old starting to struggle so we plan to look for western food tomorrow, stay tuned :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
421 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: JBR: Budget Family Holiday, Sept 7th - 16th

I love the fact that you are such an easy going person re: the Resturant you went to with Panya.

I wish more people were like you and me.

I hope your husband is feeling better.

Happy safe travels and eat more if those pancakes.

Nellie

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,862 posts
414 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: JBR: Budget Family Holiday, Sept 7th - 16th

Looking forward to part 3, I love Two Chefs & agree their desserts are fantastic (as are their steaks) going there again tomorrow night:)

Cathy

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
135 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: JBR: Budget Family Holiday, Sept 7th - 16th

Great report. We are doing the same day tour with Panya, but also including the gibbon rehab centre and the Bang Pae (?) waterfall. Panya sounds lovely and we're looking forward to meeting him.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
764 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: JBR: Budget Family Holiday, Sept 7th - 16th

Enjoying your reports, gota love the 7-11's in Thailand

Andy