We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Patong - Markets/Market Stalls etc....

Central Coast NSW
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Topic
Patong - Markets/Market Stalls etc....

Apart from Phuket Town Night Markets, where else in Patong can you go for good market stall type shopping? People say the Beach Road stalls are harder to barter with than other locations around Patong, so where are these other locations?

And there might not be a comparison, but "ill ask anyway. With Bangkok having MBK, and they their "markets" out the back away from the stores, is there anywhere like that in Patong?

Level Contributor
70 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Patong - Markets/Market Stalls etc....

OTop Market is pretty big, after 3 trips haven't done the whole lot yet, could be because we stop at the many bars amongst the market.

Central Coast NSW
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Patong - Markets/Market Stalls etc....

Yeah, asfter posting this, I did find the Otop Markets on Google Maps street view, and by the looks of things, it looks like an Aussie Bar haven!

It's hard to tell by the google maps, but how long would it take to walk the circuit around Beach rd, Bangla Road, "rat something" road, and connect back to beach road?

England
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Patong - Markets/Market Stalls etc....

In Karon at the Temple there is a market on a Tuesday and Saturday we worth a visit just get a Tuk Tuk or taxi there its not far 20 mins

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,375 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Patong - Markets/Market Stalls etc....

That curcuit will take hours cause you will keep looking in the shops lol.

The Rat rd (haha love it) that is Rat-u-Thuit has lots of shops too.

Without stopping the walk from Otop to Bangla will take 10-15 mins depending on the pace you walk, 5 mins to walk Bangla and same as Rat rd for beach rd, if thats the curcuit you mean

The closest thing in Patong to the Market in MBK is the basement of Jungcelyon, but no where near the same. Really Otop are more like MBK, just not under one roof.

People always say that beach rd is more expensive and harder to bargin with, but seriously, I have never foundit a problem. I do alot of shopping on beach rd, and get same prices as Otop, and if I dont I dont buy there.

In all markets you always seem to get the odd cranky person that does not want to play nice, oh well there loss, we always buy heaps lol. Just smile and walk away.

Try not to shop at Otop after spending too much time in the bars, or it will be good for them and not so good for you hehehe

Michelle

Central Coast NSW
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Patong - Markets/Market Stalls etc....

Thanks all!

@aussie1nsw, the circuit time sounds good. We'll be staying at Ban Thai once we get to Phuket in May, so just wanted to check out what we could do on foot without having to rely on transport all the time.

I don't mind doing the haggle at markets, but there seems to be people who rate the Night Markets over Otop and vice versa. Of course the products would all be the same everywhere. I've been reading cathyandgarys travel pages and that seems to be the gospel of all things phuket! It's just good to know what to expect to pay for different things once we get there.

australia
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Patong - Markets/Market Stalls etc....

as Aussie 1 says, it will take hours.

Our driver dropped us off on beach road for three hours one night, and we made it max along 10 shops..yes, only ten shops!!!!!!! you look, they talk, haggling, it all takes time..lol..

My husbnd and I had to laugh, because we never would get through beach rd in one day... lol

Have a blast

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,375 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Patong - Markets/Market Stalls etc....

Hi Justin, you won't need transport in patong unless its absolutely peeing down, or you have too my h shopping to carry. 15-20 mins in either direction from Baan Thai will get you anywhere.

Michelle

Central Coast NSW
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Patong - Markets/Market Stalls etc....

Awesome tips everyone! I am writing all of these things down!

Just want to make note of it all so when we get back from our holidays we don't look back and go "damn, I can't believe we didn't go/see/do that".

Level Contributor
70 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Patong - Markets/Market Stalls etc....

Don't worry if you miss out on anything.

YOU'LL BE BACK!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,375 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Patong - Markets/Market Stalls etc....

haha too true Kiwis -can-fly, he could very well be another addict in the making i am thinking lol