We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

underwater camera advice

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Las Vegas...
9 posts
Save Topic
underwater camera advice

hello,

I am looking to buy a underwater camera for my trip to phuket. I'm just looking for something to snap a few shots while snorkeling/scuba diving. Is 10 ft enough depth or should i go for more. my budget is around $150-$300 usd. also what happens if a 10 ft camera goes below 10 ft? any advice will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,527 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: underwater camera advice

Hi,

I have an underwater camera.. I don't use it as much as I initially thought I would, but that's another issue..

As far as "... is 10 ft enough".. Well that really depends on what type of swimming/diving you'll be doing.. Do remember that as you go farther down, lighting becomes more of an issue.. so, not only will you need a camera that can support that depth, it will need to have proper lighting as well.. again, all up to where you'll be and what you'll be doing.. Me personally, my camera is rated to 12ft and I've never exceeded that nor needed to exceed it, but I am also pretty much only a recreational swimmer and don't do any serious diving.

As far as what will/might happen if you take it beyond the rated limits.. Water seepage due to pressure.. all the seals and such are only rated to a certain amount of PSI, and if you were to exceed that, plan on the camera being either a total loss or more expensive to repair than replace.. once that salt water gets inside, it's pretty much a lost cause unless you can *quickly* remove it and flush out the salt residue.

There is really good stuff out there for water use, but I wouldn't exceed the limits.

Travel Safe,

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,423 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: underwater camera advice

10 ft really is no use for diving.

I would recommend either investing in an uw house, which will very often make it more expensive than your budget, or get a good disposable (which are actually reusable) and you'll be above budget, but very good to snap some shots.

There are cheap digital uw cameras including housing for sale within your budget btw that are good value. Some divecenters will be able to help you.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,130 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: underwater camera advice

If you already have a decent compact digital camera, consider as Stevenl suggests, an underwater housing if one is available to fit it. I have a Canon Ixus and use the housing for snorkeling in the Similan and Surin Islands and which has been more than acceptable for any depths for general snorkeling. It has also been taken down to deeper reefs and close up shots by local guides with some fabulous results.

It comes in very handy too if you are ever in Thailand during Songkran and want to get snaps as you are being doused with water!!!

Auckland
Level Contributor
70 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: underwater camera advice

Got a cheap Fuji Z33WP which is only water proof to three meters for our last trip. Used it snorkeling(and most everywhere) and it was great.

Have a much bigger and way more expensive camera that takes way better pics but doesn't get hardy used because it is much bigger.

The little camera fits easily into your swimming shorts pocket so is very easy to take on day trips.

Forgetting it was in my pocket I dived down to about six meters on a couple of occasions and it is still working but I wouldn't recommend risking it :)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
902 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: underwater camera advice

I have two cameras that I use for this. One is an Olympus 830sw (I think, don't have it with me) that is rated to 10ft and I use it for snorkeling and stuff on the beach or when I'm sailing. I also have a Canon SD600 that I bought underwater housing for and I use that for diving. I've been as low as 30meters with it with no problem. Light is always an issue but I find I can do a little cleanup afterward in a graphics program to return the colors to a more natural look. Not as much of an issue when using the Olympus because the camera is not very deep in the water.

And the Olympus was perfect for Songkran this year!

Edited: 8:42 pm, September 12, 2010
Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,423 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: underwater camera advice

Chezbasson, use the white balance settings on your camera, that will help you for good photos under water.

Regarding the 'normal' cameras that are waterproof like the mentioned Olympus and Fuji: be careful with that, on quite a few occasions there have been problems with them starting to leak. That is why quite a few people use with these camera's an additional under water house, for the additional safety.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: underwater camera advice

I brought before our last trip a Sanyo xacti HD video camera which is waterproof to 10ft has a 32gb sdcard takes stills as well as video and cost me about $300.00 usd of ebay brand new that was about $280 usd off the normal retail.

The kids took it snorkeling and got some great video and its alot of fun in the pool.

Cheers

Lozza

Invercargill, New...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: underwater camera advice

Panasonics new model come apparently go down to 10m (30ft). I think its a DMC-FT2. They retail for round $700NZD. I'm sure they must be a hell of a lot cheaper in the states though.

9. Re: underwater camera advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 13, 2011