We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Agents VS Online booking

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
australia
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Agents VS Online booking

Hi People Im back!!! only 271 days till our next Thailand trip!!!

This time i thought i would book the whole trip online as i thought it would be cheaper than going through an agent.......WRONG!

we wanted 17 nights 7 at the Centara in Pattaya 2 nights at the Parthumwan Princess in Bangkok and 8 nights at Patong Merlin.

I went through all the usual online hotel booking sites and to my surprise they where very expensive, eventhogh i could get the airfares for around $1000 the accomodation came it at around $300 per person per night (there are 10 of us)

The absolute best price i could get booking online for the total trip excluding transfers was $4150.00 per person, i know January is High season but i thought this was a lot.

I Australia I went to harvey world Travel they instantly brought the price down to $3055 per person including transfers & breakfast....i thought thats better!!! but undeterred i went to flight centre for the exact same trip and on top they threw a day tour around Phuket for all of us in the cost came in at $2719 per person, thats a $1400 saving off online, and thats all with Thai airways my online enquiry included 2 budget airlines.

Oh and booking direct with the hotel is a waste of time they where $600 per person more expensive on the total trip than online.

so for those wanting to book online when u get your best price see an agent or 2 as well & let them fight it out for the best price, i think as I was you will be surprised!!

QLD
9 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Travel Agents VS Online booking

Hi there, I am a travel agent of 19yrs and know that we get very good deals 90% of the time. Yes, sometimes you might find a better deal on line but so many times I have been able to beat many on line prices. Unfortunately we cannot get better deals with airlines such as Air Asia but we are certainly worth keeping in mind for all the land arrangements and larger commercial carriers. Most of the travel companies have large contracts with ground operators and can negotiate great prices inclusive of local taxes.

I must say that the service I personally offer is very personal. For example I currently have clients in Vietnam wondering if they should travel to Thailand later this week. I have been in daily contact with them. I have been checking all the travel advises and airline updates whilst they have been out sightseeing and enjoying their holiday. If you booked yourself you would be doing all the research and missing out on valuable holiday time trying to reschedule your trip.

Good luck to you all though as there is a wonderful wide world out there and some fantastic deals. HAPPY HOLIDAYS.

melbourne
Level Contributor
463 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Travel Agents VS Online booking

Hey, you have to go with what you are comfortable with. But considering I effectively get every third flight for free with Air Asia (with the savings compared to SIA or Thai), and free travel insurance by booking with my Gold card, I'll take my chances on the odd volcano now and then.

I really can't see the (useless) franchised Travel Agents I've dealt with at Harvey and Flight Centre helping me if the ash hits the fan. As stated, it would be the airlines themselves.

23. Re: Travel Agents VS Online booking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 02, 2010