We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phuket Safe??? - End April 2010

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Western Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Phuket Safe??? - End April 2010

hi, is it safe to travel to Phuket, (staying in) Patong end April 2010 (which is abt 3 weeks away) given the current political protests and Tsunami warning this morning?

Please advise as I'll be going with some friends this end April. Or do you reckon we should just cancel the trip? Thank you very much.

Phuket
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phuket Safe??? - End April 2010

The political protests are on Bangkok, and I would avoid the protest areas of the city. I have seen nothing in Phuket that would disrupt your trip.

The earthquake off Sumatra instigated a Tsunami warning, I would say as a precaution. Come and enjoy your holiday.

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phuket Safe??? - End April 2010

Phuket is a long way from Bangkok and even in Bangkok only a few areas are affected.

Tsunami warning has passed with no tsunami, but no one can foretell such things, but the chances of another tsunami are less than being struck by a meteor.

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Phuket Safe??? - End April 2010

ive been struck by a meteor loads of times

Western Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phuket Safe??? - End April 2010

Hi Brio2 and dragonc, thank you so much for your information and advice. At least my mind is much more at ease nw about the phuket trip. Hv a gd week ahead..:)

Moss Vale Australia...
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Phuket Safe??? - End April 2010

This time last year i had the same concerns as you do and we went anyway.and we had a ball and tomorrow i do it again flying to Phuket for 2 weeks again , safe as houses go for it.cheers.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phuket Safe??? - End April 2010

As far as the political protests in Bangkok go I wouldnt let it worry you ...

We were in Phuket in nov 2008 when the Bangkok airport was taken over by protesters and were stuck in Phuket for an extra 4 nights ( because our flights were to fly back out through Bangkok)... lets say people at home knew about it before we did .... and had it not been for our flights we would never have known,...if anything we found the Thais in Phuket appologising for everything that was going on.. from shop keepers to hotel staff to tuk tuk drivers... and we were told that the people of Phuket would never let anything like this happen there as their main souce of income in tourism and the last thing they want to do is scare away the tourists... :)

As far as the tusnami warning.. who can predict ?? and since the big tsunami there have been various warnings over the world... even we in Aust had one not that long ago! :)

relax and enjoy your trip!

Cheers

Chelle

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
708 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phuket Safe??? - End April 2010

In Patong at the moment & no problems at all.

Patong
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Phuket Safe??? - End April 2010

Keep in mind that Phuket is a staunch supporter of the Democratic party - there are no red shirts to be seen here.

It's a banner year in Phuket right now. Lots of people getting ready for Bike Week, and then Songkran.

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Phuket Safe??? - End April 2010

I seem to remember not too long ago, a small group of red shirts who were trying to demonstrate about something, being chased away by residents.

vancouver
Level Contributor
143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Phuket Safe??? - End April 2010

?????