We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pickpockets and how safe is our stuff on the beach

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
657 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Pickpockets and how safe is our stuff on the beach

Just wondering how bad pickpockets are n Patong to know how careful to be, and also wondering how safe if stuff on the beach?

So if two of you are together and you both decide to go into the water, here in Australia we tend to leave a towel, mobile phone, sunglasses and some cash and a credit card together on the sand - and its pretty safe. We can see it from the water and its never been a problem for me. Is it the same in Phuket?

I'm guessing its the same as everywhere, and to just minimise the risk by carrying only what we need to with us.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pickpockets and how safe is our stuff on the beach

We left money in our bag under a towel on a nearly empty Patong beach and popped in for a dip. We watched it constantly, apart from when riding the occassional wave. It was well forward of the beach chairs and we didn't see anyone approach our stuff at all. Popped out 5 minutes later, yep, gone. Was only a couple of hundred baht, but a valuable lesson.

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pickpockets and how safe is our stuff on the beach

Pickpockets are not around every day, but you should take care of your things. Never leave anything unattended! You're in a country where the average monthly income is around US$200 or less, and temptation can be strong. You can buy waterproof pouches to keep money in and take it into the sea with you.

Edited: 7:05 am, March 18, 2010
perth
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pickpockets and how safe is our stuff on the beach

are you for real,i would not leave anything on the beach in aus let alone overseas,use commonsense in the things that you decide to do and you will have no problems

Ko Chang, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pickpockets and how safe is our stuff on the beach

Pickpockets happen every day and night in Patong.

Don't leave any valuables anywhere unattended!

A towel and flip-flops are OK, but that's about it.

It might be different somewhere else than Patong and Pattaya.

Edited: 9:01 am, March 18, 2010
Melbourne
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Pickpockets and how safe is our stuff on the beach

This isn't a Thailand/Phuket/Patong issue - pickpockets and opportunist criminals would work on most major tourist beaches worldwide. Use common sense and you will be fine. I would say money/valuables would be as much at risk on Bondi Beach as they would be on Patong. Money left on a beach = an open invitation for someone to take it. Waterproof pouch is the way to go...

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,205 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pickpockets and how safe is our stuff on the beach

Hi

If you are on a beach that has lounge chairs and umbrella's for rent.

the people that rent them out will watch them like a hawk.. not sure about beaches around patong

but I was at Nai Harn rented a couple there must have been over a hundred

umbrellas but each vendor only had about 10 or 15 the vendor would sit up on the top of the beach and watch if you needed anything just look his or her way and they were there to bring drinks. and they would rotate the umbrella as the sun shifted and more than happy to take picture's for you.

when went swiming I noticed someone was walking close by our stuff.

the vendor made a bee line straight to our spot and stood and smiled as the person's walked by blocking the umbrella's he seemed very protective

of us. I felt safe and comfortable.

Australia
Level Contributor
293 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pickpockets and how safe is our stuff on the beach

there are thieves on beaches in Sydney and Melb.. why wouldnt there be any in phuket in a much poorer country and the opportunity for theft is greater?

play it smart and watch your stuff..

Edited: 9:50 pm, March 18, 2010
8. Re: Pickpockets and how safe is our stuff on the beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, September 15, 2010